1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcb9

jcb9 Well-Known Member

Nice find "cuzz."

On a different note: saw a PRL by Corneliani jacket today at Marshall's on clearance. They wanted $150 or 199 for it. I checked ebay and saw the these do not do that well on there so I passed. Should I go back and pick it up. Was size 40L in case someone wants me to proxy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. quotientspace

quotientspace Well-Known Member

Hello, just picked up some stuff for myself and wanted to share.
    Hanover no numbers, shell? Edit: brushed it up, no doubt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some other stuff.

[​IMG]

Silk sweater vest...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right/Wrong Balmain? Feels pretty nice.

[​IMG]

Found this in with a bunch of $40 London Fog trenches.

[​IMG]

Some peacock shirts, all straight from one guy's dry cleaner.

[​IMG]

I also recently found an Artmetal Barrister 5-stack, and a pocket containing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14K Cufflinks. Missing an eye.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I made it back from Vienna. I ended up walking about 20km and rode a number of trams, buses and undergrounds. I had a great time, lots of sales and I'll post pictures tomorrow. However, I thought I'd ask, is this the right Dior? :)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. rayxlui

rayxlui Well-Known Member

Oh god yes.

5. HansderHund

I was stunned to see it. It's one of those things I didn't even put on my list to find as I assumed it wouldn't happen. However, Vienna is the LA, NYC, Chicago, et al of Austria....only because it's the only 1mil+ city in Austria.

If the dry cleaning tags are any indication, I would have paid good money for a front row seat when the former owner remembered what he left and attempted to pick it up. How would the employee feel after that shift?

Now, I need to catch up on the thread...you guys have been busy for the last 14 hours. :D

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

7. Greg613

Greg613 Well-Known Member

I found my first pair of men's Ferragamo shoes in black monkstrap.[​IMG]

8. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Any help dating this really scratchy awesome wool blend shirt? Possibly available. Vintage medium...

[​IMG]

And for myself... I'm wearing my favorite Tori Richard shirt, so this was bound to happen...

[​IMG]

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

+1 She's one of those rare hot skinny super model who actually has big boobs!!! [​IMG]

That's awesome!

That RLBL is money!

Such a good fit! Collar gap? What collar gap? lol [​IMG]

Lardini, pretty sure.

10. HansderHund

I've mentioned it once or twice before, but at least here, unvented are just as popular as side or single vents. I don't really have a problem with an unvented jacket, so long as it's recent. In fact, I rather like the silhouette it creates when standing. If I'm sitting at a desk, my jacket is ordinarily off anyway. Another thing is that I'm not tall. I feel like side vents on a shorter jacket cut it up too much. It might just be psychological, but I feel that on some of my side vented jackets, the vents go up too high and make the jacket appear a bit silly.
    No one mentioned your RLPL, so I'll say congrats, it's nice!
    Solid advice! The dry cleaners normally put an extra tag that says that they were or were not able to get out any particular stains. They look over the piece of clothing and if they see a stain, note it. When you get it back, a tag explains that they tried to get it out and were either successful or not. It's really a liability thing, but it helps when I see it at thrifts. They'll even included things like worn lining in the description. Either way, I wasn't going to allow this one to sit around :) Chet - Your fits are great, keep them coming! I'm embarrassed to say, but I don't know if I properly thanked highlifeman . I got a PRL jacket from him, but I received it when my internet was down in between moves. If I never thanked you, THANK YOU, it works great! If you are one of the few that hasn't received a response from me, I'll catch up with all of my PMs over the weekend (hopefully). I said I'd post pictures tomorrow, but a quick recap from today: I met some of the nicest thrift employees this time around. The first one included a volunteer (older woman) that starting grabbing ties and scarves to give me for free. Everything else in the shop was on sale for €1 each. She told me the next time I was in Vienna to stop by the shop. I most certainly will. I ended up with a bunch of ties. Most are vintage and/or made in Austria. I grabbed a few for some on here, hopefully someone can take a few off my hands. Prices, as always, were all over the place. I intentionally hit stores that I'd never visited, so pricing was much better than in the past. I also found decent selections, somewhat of a rarity. On the downside, one of my places is on to Borsalinos....from me. They noticed that I bought a couple of them in the past and this time around the only one there was marked up to €38(!!!). Has anyone else had that happen? I have noticed that before...one store knows I generally only by quality, so they have taken notice of the brands that I purchase for their own furture reference. One place has started to mark up Zegna because I was buying it up.

11. barrelntrigger

Hmmm, massive amounts of WID selvedge at a thrift chain? I wonder what happened? Do they not sell well and ended up as donation items? Or something else....

Gaddamn! The closest one to my house is 45 miles away! [​IMG]

12. Jowen

Jowen Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my bad, noted for the future...I apologize and hope it didn't cause too much of a problem for you.

13. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

So anyone know what those pants without belt loops are called. Instead they have two long straps at the fly that pull tight and lace through the waistband and are attached with buckles at the hip.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Do they have a different name? I always just called them side tabs.

15. barrelntrigger

I've just been calling them buckle back.

16. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Different than the usual adjustable waist. Will post pics soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. HansderHund

Please do, I'm curious. Also, more on that Brioni. That sneak peak showed a great fabric!

Also, a PSA: I needed a good clothing brush and grabbed one from Kent Brushes. Their eBay store for their "seconds" is great and I received mine and have nothing but great things to say about it. No detectable flaws.

Here is the one I bought:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOUBLE-SIDE...585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e76ed4af1

I also picked up a shaving set (brush, bowl and soap) from them out of curiosity. They don't have the full set at the moment and I haven't tried mine yet, but they do have the bowl and soap. I have other nice brushes, so I probably didn't need another but it was cheap enough that I wanted to give it a shot.

Here is the bowl set (minus brush):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOODEN-SHAV...=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item20cee04d99

Every piece was made in England.

18. Nell

Nell Well-Known Member

From the bottom pic, Ghurka waist. Bills?

19. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Happy beleated birthday Mainy and EasyE!

I thought these were called ghurka pants or something like that?

20. jcb9

jcb9 Well-Known Member

This week's finds. Availability detailed below. If not claimed in the next 48 hours, going to the bay.

Shirts: heavy rugby from Ireland, Bill's, VictorVictoria, Viyella, Zegna x 2, Faconnable x 3

[​IMG]

Thick ass rugby from Ireland. Couldn't pass this one up. No idea if it is quality but it is the shit nonetheless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill's shirt. Have never seen a shirt by Bill's. Size M. Maybe available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

VictorVictoria. Never heard of the brand, but it is Made in Italy and is a hiking/outdoors type shirt. Very lightweight. Not available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Button up roll sleeve
    [​IMG]

Viyella. Not available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna casual shirt. Made in Italy. Size L. Band collar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Zegna. Same deal as above but BD collar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Faconnable. Size L. Maybe available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Faconnable size M. Thick cotton. Hidden BD collar. Not available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Faconnable size M. Not available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweaters: Cashmere from Scotland, vintage BB Made in Italy merino, Pringle, mystery sweater

[​IMG]

Thane from Scotland. 100% cashmere. V-neck size S. Available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage BB merino Made in Italy - Size L but looks smaller. Available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pringle size L. Small hole on this one. Easily fixable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mystery sweater. I am leaning towards keeping it because it is thick, has wood buttons and is kind of awesome.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit/SC: PRL big boy suit Made in USA, J Press staple SC, HF for Saks Wool/Cashmere staple SC

PRL Made in USA tagged 48L 42W - available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Single pleat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

J Press staple SC. 44L. Looks black, not navy. Awesome buttons. Available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HF for Saks wool/cashmere staple navy SC - boardroom collection. A moth hole and some dry cleaning sheen, so going to the bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.