1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. staxringold

staxringold Well-Known Member

Grabbed a couple ties for myself (no photo, PRL and BB Makers). But had to leave a super sexy Hickey Freeman suit with Loro Piana 130s. Bawwww, stupid pinstripe orphan. Looked around, couldn't reunite (did reunite an almost matching Brookease pinstripe suit, heh).

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Went out thrifting today as I found some new spots in Nashville. This thread got me excited to go and I was on the prowl for a tweed jacket anyway. My first time out a couple of months ago ended with me donating some furniture in my basement so the shops were lackluster to say the least. But today I found a 3 items and some nice labels but I wanted to check on the higher end stuff before debating on purchasing. Oxxford I know is nicer but it was an orphan jacket. I saw a Canali Proposta label on a full suit that looked like the one below. It was a 56L so must have been a 46 US. Are these worth picking up for ~$20 to resell? I also saw a Daniel Cremieux for Dillard's which I have seen a tag for somewhere else. It would have been ~$25. I saw the brand Bachrach too which said Made in Italy but had no clue.

Their "Better" rack has quite a few Jos A Banks things on it but the better stuff seemed to be on the normal rack. I forget some of the other brands but I will continue to watch and learn from you guys. The last thing I want is a piece of clothing I can't wear or sell that I am sitting on because I thought the deal was good.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Wow, what an odd hobby...It's kinda creepy, don't you think?

Ouch! You know what they say, another man's garbage is anther man's treasure! [​IMG]

We are treasure hunters!

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

though it sounds promising, I feel that I spend enough time on eBay myself as well as enough time on SF to not be able to justify 5$ a month for someone else to show me the same thing.

6. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

I've wondered about signing up - are there deals to be had, or is it just pulling together listings I could find on my own?

7. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I'm signed up, Huge roundups every week, along with sale/deal announcements. I suppose you could do it yourself, but this saves a lot of time.

8. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

I know people who have been pretending to not be home for years.

9. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

10. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to know if it was worth it for a while thanks a lot I just signed up

11. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Well-Known Member

My first thought, whenever I see a ridiculously high balance on a bank receipt, is that the persopn just sold some of their investment holdings. I know I don't always make an investment purchase at the same time/day as I make a sale, and the monies sit in my chequing account for a couple days. I bet if you took a look at a receipt from the same account a week later, much of that would balance would be off earning a handsome return somewhere.

All things aside, a receipt is, after all, a snapshot in time. It's hard to extrapolate anything about a person's financial savvy from them.

12. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

One stop today...

Robert Talbott, Coach (34"), BB Makers.
    All available.

[​IMG]

13. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

Buy sell trade thread?

14. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

Damned android app

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  15. 2010Greek

2010Greek Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  17. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Don't know what to make of this. Maybe he's going into rehab? Self-imposed sanity check? Could also just mean that now he bypasses the thrifts and negotiates / acquires similar items via other means... [Curious in the event this was not pure rhetorical barb.]

18. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

The

We get 100+ posts like mine every day. Are you trying to change the rules?

19. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

got my beethoven on at boston symphony hall. No time to grab tie or pocket square, having just made waffles for 14 back at home (post church brunch with insane kids then out the door) and I didn't realize that if I didn't put my arms exactly at my sides the 1/2" cuff doesn't show (but it does, trust me, my tailor made sure...for my arms that are short and of different lengths, he tells me).

[​IMG]

barbour English tweed coat (outlet, sample sale!)
    eddie bauer green glen plain shirt (outlet)
    polo vneck (thrifted)
    canali wool herringbone trou (thrifted)
    vintage barrie custom grade shoes (thrifted)

check out this AAAC poast on Barrie...

20. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.