1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suited

suited Well-Known Member

That flannel is pretty cool.

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

My wife's grandfather (92) still wears one just like this when we go hunting at the cabin. The thing weighs about 8 pounds. I like the fact that it has a small game pouch built right into the back of the coat.

3. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Some others from the past couple of weeks that I finally got listed:
    PRL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VTG BB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Off Brand Tweed
    [​IMG]

Ermenegildo Soft Herringbone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna Functioning Cuffs black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul Stuart:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

This was news to me! picked up two merino wool V-necks and a RLPL tie! Thanks man

This code now works for the next 14 days too - BZR2992

1 person likes this.
  5. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Your Honor, I'd like to revise my previous statement. My first shell at what the dictionary would call a "true thrift" (though the prices here totally belie that). I also found NWOB shell by C&J for RL at a Marshalls, and paid through the nose.

You were too late. But it's not our size. I like the Chaps DB tweed. If that thing is dual vented, it may be the coolest thing I've seen all year.

Dude, KILLING it. Nice.

Cleaning up that shoe haul right now. Planning to do a one-shoe-only cleanup on most and do a side-by-side compare pic. Should be fun. Until I lose patience and focus on something else....

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

Thanks guys :laugh:

I was with member steveoly checking it out. Last year we missed some untipped knit ties that were amazing. The tie rack gets bombarded at this sale, but the tie was in the way back covered by five other. I was going to buy it regardless of brand, but when I saw it was canali I was ecstatic. (sadly, canali is the best brand we have in Omaha)

There were a ton of Robert Talbott Caramel ties as well (all $30) But no staple ties (aka solid colors to me)

7. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

Holy fuck.

I really want to hit Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. All very fashion forward cities compared to most of the US.

8. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan, still need to get the keys to the castle from DM. And I agree, he'll still come down and lay waste to the city...

9. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Great haul!!
    Insane find! Not only that, but the fact that it sat around for 2 days in LA.
    Yep, found a pair of green chinos but at a different shop. Even though Neiman Marcus left us after deciding that Minnesotans with money can't figure out how to spend it (CEOs of major corporations buying Pronto Uomo suits), we still have a handful of men's SW&D boutiques (BlackBlue, MartinPatrick3, Askov Finlayson (who sells quite a bit of Norse Projects), etc) who are doing quite well.
    :drool:

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

I think someone in that blog's comments thread mentioned somewhere to get wider hangers for cheap, but can't remember. Either way, there has to be a middle ground somewhere (or maybe not).

Really awesome find!

And for what it's worth, I've found some items that fit under the broad 'SW&D' category at thrifts too. But they're rarely my size and are usually older, like older CDG. And have yet to find any brand new, unworn raw denim.

11. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Just picked up this dead-stock heavy wool cardigan that look's to date from the 50's or so. Wish it was about 2 sizes smaller. :cloud:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also this book on sewing which covers basic alterations as well as full garment construction. Now I just need to learn how to sew and maybe I could cut down on some of my tailoring bills. :teach:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

I didn't see any RLPL ties there... Link?

13. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Well-Known Member

Click on the Purple Label Sale link on the left.

14. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

I get mine from here: http://www.usahanger.com/

$7 each for suit hangers, and they work great for me.

15. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Well-Known Member

Still
    still interested pending measurements and price.

16. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

I don't see nothing wrong.... with a little bump n' grind!

17. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Edit: :cheers: Org. I usually try to keep mine on the ones with the wider arms, to give the shoulders some support. I probably had 50 lying around from when I worked in the industry. But that's nowhere near the amount I need now. :embar: So basically current season gets the good hangers, and offseason makes do with the standard wooden hangers.

Also: REPENT! THRIFT THREAD SIXTY THOUSAND IS AT HAND! THE DAY OF RECKONING IS LIKELY ... TOMORROW! OR MAYBE SUNDAY! NOT SURE YET ... CHECK BACK WITH ME AROUND NOON TOMORROW.

SORRY FOR SHOUTING!

18. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Well-Known Member

Another pure brag.

There's a shitty SA by me that never has much. Once in a while it'll have some eBay grist but its mostly filled with street folk using clothing vouchers. I stop in once a week or so because its on one of my routes. Today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My size
    YOLO

3 people like this.
  19. datsunfan

datsunfan Well-Known Member

I found this gorgeous older Samuelsohn charcoal herringbone with velvet collar coat. Unfortunately, it looks like it got caught in something because there are a couple tears at the bottom. It's tagged a 39 Tall and available for cost. It should be easy to fix by having it shortened about 2".
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. 46n2

46n2 Well-Known Member

Back from da islands and just read the 5000 posts since I left. Whew! Y'all been killin it ! It's been super dry here. Didn't find anything good over there. Except I did find an Reyn Spooner for Alfred Shaheen aloha shirt which was cool. DM7 out of LA ? wut?

I found this SZ 44 yesterday and is available:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.