1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

It was slow before the conversion for me.

2. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

today I have made a horrifying discovery... I am a freak of nature... a long armed freak of nature
    my mtm shirt came from moderntailor and it fits pretty well (I need to make the arm opening bigger for instance) but what really astounded me is that a 27 length sleeve is too short meaning I will need a horrifying 28+ inch sleeve [​IMG] I am going to just have to get rid of my entire shirt collection and go mtm because these 15.5 35's won't cut it anymore, good news is that someone in that size can get a whole new shirt wardrobe [​IMG] I got everything you need, isaia, burberry gucci ect ect [​IMG]
    forgive the crazy long hair, bad pictures, and wrinkles but I think it fits well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

My finds this weekend - though nothing that compares to the exalted finds of others here. Both are my size so keeping.

Crombie Highland Tweed SC - 38R. Nice details with the throat latch and piping on the pockets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Varese Made In Italy Ankle Boots. Beautiful soft leather.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Well-Known Member

I've never found Lorenzini in my size its always 17 and up. I don't know why they don't flip better the few recent ones I've come across have awesome construction.

5. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Been finding a lot of stuff in my size or nearly my size recently, which is a welcome addition to my overstuffed closet if not my anemic money supply.

UNAVAILABLE

'70s Daks DB, double-vented navy blazer w/ brass buttons. 37R, but will get slimmed so super unavailable! Exactly the tradly navy blazer I've been looking for!

[​IMG]
    Super-heavy solid metal buttons. Feels like solid brass but maybe plated?
    [​IMG]

even the interior button is solid metal!
    [​IMG]

Double-vented:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Light grey Aquascutum trench in 38R. Found this stuffed in the women's section as a Large, but it fits pretty well if on the loose side, so keeping unless you can trade me for a DB khaki or medium-light grey trench of similar quality in 36R
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

70's Harris Tweed for myself that fits like a glove, but needs a good cleaning
    [​IMG]

3-button center-vented charcoal BB Makers Brooksease, 46L. Going to a trade partner.
    [​IMG]

PRL 3-button center-vent flat-front seersucker suits in 40R and slim 42R. Both are NWOT, vents still basted shut. Beige/tan one is made in Macau, but has sick smoked MOP buttons. Blue/white one is made in Italy, still has label on sleeve. Both going to a trade partner.
    [​IMG]

AVAILABLE

CT white & grey/slate blue nailhead 16.5/35, BB purple label 16x34 (Egyptian cotton woven in Italy, made in USA), 100% machine-washable black silk Neiman Marcus Exclusive size M
    [​IMG]

Any 17.5x33 need some staple shirts? Normally don't pick this up but was super-cheap and didn't need the treatment.
    Bottom one is classic fit, rest are slim-fit.
    [​IMG]

old L.L. Bean (Freeport, Maine) made in USA: thinner cotton flannel size L, cordovan-colored calf penny loafers in 10D (thick soles, thick leather uppers) -- with old Florsheim traveler shoe trees!
    [​IMG]

Cool Eagle made in USA sport-coat 42-43R. Olive/tan weave with rust horz. stripe + magenta vert. stripe​
    [​IMG]
    Accurate color and texture:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

vintage Rooster ruffler (cotton/silk? no content tag), vintage Rooster ancient madder for Bonwit Teller (defunct Philly dept. store), Bert Pulitzer textured silk, De la Renta Couture
    [​IMG]

Anybody know what the hell this is? Looks like gold fill, but aside from that, no clue. This is about the size of a small matchbox or lighter. This is not available until I figure out what on Earth this is, but might be afterward.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas?

Also found the Balmain I'm not looking for in charcoal DB SC/orphan 37R, crap ton of casual shirts in my size including a Hugo Boss with nice smoked MOP buttons and a cerulean 100% cotton tie with no maker tags (just the sort of thing I've been looking for to go with my summer linens & cottons).​

After layering up, it seems the sleeves are a tad short, damn. This is without slimming, though.
    [​IMG]

Hat: Bailey's, thrifted by DanM
    Shirt: Structure, thrifted by my brother
    Jacket (not seen): Daffy's
    PS (not seen): Michelson's, C21
    Pants: Dockers, thrifted by me
    Socks: CK, Marshall's
    Shoes: old Bostonians, thrifted by me

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

That is astonishlingly ugly, if thats even a word.

RARE Brioni Roma Grey Degrade Fade Multi Stripe Jacket Pants Suit NR
    *rare = ugly :lol:

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

8. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Definitely looks like a sailboat to me too. I have only ever seen one orphan jacket in the wild. It looked like it had been shot by a semi-auto bb gun it had so many moth holes. In my brief time with the jacket, the quality felt great.
    Shirt looks good from here. Are you sure you need a longer sleeve? The first picture the sleeve looks about right with a lots of wrinkles shortening the shirt. The second pic does make it look short though.

9. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member

double post

10. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

correct me if I am wrong but when I the sleeve is unbuttoned it should come down to your thumb knuckle correct? this one doesn't make it there and gets too short when I move me arm around

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  12. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Definitely! I guess I was trying to estimate how far the sleeve would go when it would be starched and not so "bunched" as in the picture.

13. hucklecat

hucklecat Well-Known Member

14. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    also this is a long shot but do any of you guys have a hook up/know where a guy can get some nice fabric on the cheap? put this on did a thing about it briefly but I know modern tailor will allow you to use your own fabric if you send it to them

15. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

That coat is badass.

1 person likes this.
  16. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Fabric, as a textile, comes with a significant cost to produce which someone pays for to stock and is not likely to lose money on. You're unlikely to find fabric on the cheap save for some exceptional circumstances, or someone that doesn't know what they have because they didnt pay for it. I don't know of a source that would provide you the type of price that someone posting in a thrift store thread would call 'cheap'. Remember we're the people that balk at 8.99 for a T & A dress shirt.

Otherwise, I have gotten some good wool tartan fabrics off ebay for a decent price.

17. flatspotting

flatspotting Well-Known Member

AMAZING!

Some day I will find myself something like that and will be so happy, awesome trench!

18. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I have several places I go to in the garment district in NYC for decorator fabric (fit for curtains, pillows, kids' costumes, etc.). If you buy on clearance, you can get fabric under $3 a yard, and sometimes significantly -- $1 per yard or less. Now, often that's either off cuts (0.5 yards or less) or the patterns that didn't sell well. For solid amounts of the nicest stuff, you need to be exceedingly patient, exceedingly lucky, or exceedingly willing to pay the retail price (which, by the way, is rarely more than $10 per yard in any event).

But I've just honestly never been shopping for suiting or shirting (which is the correct technical term for the FABRIC, not the garment). I suspect such fabrics can be found with some diligence, and likely in the same area, if not the same stores. But just like with the decorator fabric, you're unlikely to find it for less than full price, which I'd hazard a wild guess to be in the $15-20 per yard range, with at least 2-3 yards required for a shirt.

19. staxringold

staxringold Well-Known Member

Baww, just actually tried on those Kiton pants and they're just too small in the waist. So 54 (EU) x 31 are available.. :(

20. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

thanks guys those are some good answers [​IMG] I just remembered I know a thrift store buy my house that carries overstock fabric and sometimes even "suiting" and "shirting" not just the decorator stuff. I am going to check there and ebay and hopefully snag a wicked madras or flannel [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.