1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbandjai

pbandjai Well-Known Member

N00B here. I thought I got a score on these, but now i'm unsure. I paid $20, because i needed them in a jam but any idea what these shoes are? They say Made in America on the rubber bottoms. They look maybe Corodovan / Leather. I believe they are a 9.5 and might be snug on me if anyone else is interested in swaps or buy after they're identified.

No manufacturer or anything listed - I might cross post over on the main forums for help, just curious what workmanship and quality is like on these.

[​IMG]

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/590469/width/500/height/1000[/IMG

[IMG]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/590471/width/500/height/1000

2. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  3. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

4. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

worksmanship is quite low

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

An early happy Chanukkah to our Jewish community within the thrift thread. I actually thought of making "secret santa" a bit more inclusive, but I kind of forgot :embar: What do you guys do for Chanukkah?
    I offered up a sampling of Austrian coffee to anyone interested, Wes happened to be the only one that was actually interested. If anyone else would like some beans, let me know!
    I will look into those beans...I wasn't a huge fan of the Aeropress, but I've only used it once at a friend's place. Maybe I'll open myself up to it, I just really like a stove top maker.

6. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I'll trade you some beans for a hermes tie and one of some other unknown maker :nest:

7. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Just came back from a St. Paul thrift around the corner from my house. This place charges $19-$30 a sportcoat no matter what it is (I've paid that upper end of the range for an Alpaca LB and that vintage LL Bean coat from a few weeks back). I found a pretty damn awesome Christmas plaid Pendleton in a 39 R, which is too long for me but would make someone the life of a Christmas party. It was $19. Whatever. That's more than double GW prices, but since I haven't found anything in two weeks, I decided to get it. As the woman was ringing it up, I spotted a pinhead month hole on the back of the collar, so I didn't buy it, and her reasoning for asking $20 for the jacket was that "It's really hard to see." The black wooden buttons also had paint on them, which would have been easy to get off, but still.

What the hell is that about? If you're going to charge a little more for thrifted things, I thought I could reasonably assume you've checked over the goods before pricing them. But she was really old, so maybe she needs some glasses or something.

It was just really annoying, and since I haven't been having any luck, pissed me off a bit.

8. HansderHund

If you're serious, get at me! I can't say no to even the tackiest Hermés ties!

Too bad, as I know you've been on the hunt for some plaid/blackwatch. Did you ever get yours sorted?? It's funny, when you first posted it, I recognized it and checked my "favorites" list on Etsy and sure enough, it must have been the same one!

Speaking of that, I have 3 Christmas parties to attend and I'm already thinking about what I'll wear. I have some read cords and a couple of blackwatch blazers. I'll put together a mean outfit, for sure. I was actually invited to one of my students' parties. They're all undergrads, so it should be a good time :slayer:

9. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Can't tell if you're playing along or not :laugh:

But yes, I'll buy some Austrian beans from you.

10. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Thanks Hans. The 8 days don't start until tomorrow, but I don't think anyone will mind. What do we do for Hannukah? Participate in secret santa and not worry about it haha.

11. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

The blackwatch is in my possession, but I've been just sitting on it because it's a tad too long (and I mean less than half an inch). It also could be taken out a bit (or I could lose some weight). The tailor was going to charge me $100 for shortening the jacket and the sleeves and letting it out a bit. I might just forgo that last part and leave it unbuttoned (it's really not as tight as I'm making it seem; I think he just wanted to get more money out of me). I've been trying to decide if it's worth it. I think it probably is.

12. HansderHund

EDIT: God, I must be slow tonight...I got it :)

Hahaha,

Don't Jewish mothers guilt you into more than that? Or is that only on TV (or is that restricted to Catholics?!) :D

13. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Well-Known Member

You know. In my early days of thrifting, I picked up one of those. Don't recall if I posted it to the thread, but just sayin, haters gonna hate. Keep thrifting, keep reading, keep learning.

14. catside

catside Well-Known Member

I have no use for these with frayed collars and requiring treatment. 16.5/42
    Bought them just for bragging rights!! :D
    [​IMG]

15. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

You could pickle those in jars filled with third works hookers' urine and people would still buy them because they say Hermes.

16. HansderHund

Do they have a place for collar stays? If not (some don't), you could always have a tailor flip the collar. Simple, cheap and for nice shirts, you won't see the difference!

17. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

This is just to piss off the trads out there... I'm channeling Magnum PI today.

Paradise Found Aloha Shirt - thrifted
    Hook Necklace - bought at the Kailua-Kona Farmer's Market
    Nat Nast jeans - thrifted
    Chaco Sandals - clearance rack find

[​IMG]

18. matty long legs

matty long legs Well-Known Member

ME! I LOVE IT! I've been looking at this exact tie on the PS website for months. I've been meaning to give a public shout out to tonylumpkin for the amazing deal he gave me but I've been swamped and haven't sent him his trade yet. Fail on my part. :embar:

19. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

+1

20. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And brag you shall, totally deserving!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.