1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

That Polo shawl collar cardigan should go for some good money.

2. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Those look amazing! Congrats!

3. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Holy hell, I've just caught up on the last WEEK of posts in one multiple-hour session [​IMG]

To all of the *amazing* finds recently, [​IMG]
    To everyone being strangely touchy, [​IMG]

Brian, that azure paisley tie is wonderful! Love me some bright blues. (Tie trade? I got stuffs.)
    Ruben, that smoking jacket is baller! WANT! PM sent.

+2

Also, happy belated birthday to GMMcL ! On that note, I'd like to send some shout-outs, especially since it will soon be the day of giving thanks...

• GMMcL for a good trade, and tonylumpkin for the lovely Hanover shell saddles (from his sick shoe haul several days ago) that I'll be wearing for the holiday tomorrow.

• Shiny -- thanks so much for hooking me up with that wine-colored flowery Zegna tie way back. Wore it for the first time recently, to the orchestra, wearing a newly-acquired navy Corneliani blazer from Brianpore. Some kickass buttons on that one! So wonderful. Have some pics, but am wayyy too behind on sorting and getting all my pics in order. (I still have to send you some stuff, Brian, but I am *not* your secret santa.)

• HansderHund and Tben for being standup dudes and giving a bro some pointers.

As an aside, I'm not sure if it's a sort of in-joke or some tongue-in-cheek irony, but why do people always mis-type Hans' handle? Hans - der - Hund --> HansderHund . It seems that s tends to wander here and there. Hans is such a good sport that he would probably never point this out, and of course all of this could also be in jest, but I can't. tell.

------------------------
    As for actual contributions on my behalf, I do have some things accumulated slowly over the past few weeks when I go out for myself and for my secret santa recipient (and to proxy for some...). I picked up some more Robert Talbott and Rooster, including a nice navy knit. I also managed to pick up some awesomely thick houndstooth tweed trousers for myself and purple snakeskin pumps and matching handbag (though from different makers) for the gf [​IMG]. Also picked up grey flannel blazer with leather-buttons, vintage Evan Picone (I know, I know, but it seemed not terrible), also for the gf. Oh, and grey NWT Faconnable 31 that I'm keeping (unless someone convinces me otherwise). Some other stuff also, but either not noteworthy or for the secret santa potlatch. I was planning on taking pics and such, but gah, the time it takes to do such things.... Will do so eventually; at least before I send stuff off for the potlatch, so I can archive my finds.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

I myself prefer unvented for many styles, as it flatters my body well. Vents have a tendency to cause gapping on me, especially bad with double-vents in a light-weight fabric on a fitted jacket. For slim-fitted jackets in particular, unvented can look quite good, IMO better than double-vented. Of course this depends on the build -- I am pretty slim and athletically built.

5. staxringold

staxringold Well-Known Member

Is in law school... :(

Grabbed a nice PRL tie for myself.

Left a cotton plaid PRL tie. Christmassy so I thought about kopping but nah. Saw several Canali shirts at 9.50 a pop. Would've grabbed for myself, but not to flip. One fray sportswear one, a nice sportswear one my size but a meh pattern, and a straight blue. The big heartbreaker was an older label (but new looking) BB GF suit. Would've snagged for myself, but just 1-2 sizes too small

6. staxringold

Ha, yeah, reading on I realize I don't care as much what he thinks

7. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Well-Known Member

UGH!
    Its seriously dry as fuck here. Everything I find seems to have something wrong with it, its driving me insane.

Heres my NO GO's for today....

1. Freeman's Sporting Club - Casual Shirt.
    I shouldve picked this up, I was just being stupid because I didnt find anything else. Im gonna go back for this on Friday.

2. Bonobos - Chinos in Cream White, 34x36
    Looked kinda dirty, wasnt sure if any of it was stains and I didnt wanna bother.

3. Hamilton for Barneys New York - Dress Shirt
    This was actually in very good condition.

4. J.Crew Striped Vintage Oxford from Spring 2012
    Dont know why I left this. I think im just getting picky now.

5. Etro - Navy Blue Suit Jacket/Sport Coat with Ticket Pocket
    After further inspection, the lining looked like it had been repaired in several places. Way too obvious. Didnt wanna deal with it.

6. AND THE BIGGEST FUCKING DISAPPOINTMENT...A Recent Ermenegildo Zegna 15mil15 Orphan.
    Couldnt find the damn pants and when I opened it up....splitting on the lining down the middle.

7. APC New Cure H
    The size tag was missing so couldnt tell but they were fucking tiny. Jackass wanted $33 for them. I passed. Even though I know could flip them for at least double.
    Imma sleep on this one.

8. +J (Jil Sander for Uniqlo) Navy Sport Coat
    Put this on hold and I think imma pull the trigger on this one. Cant go wrong at $19

9. Allen Edmonds Bradley Split Toe Shoes in Brown.
    I dont know, price wasnt all that right, they wanted $25

10. RECENT Valentino Roma - Velvet Trousers.
    I believe these were womans, but im not sure, it had a slight flare. Didnt even inspect them. All I know is that they were the recent Gold on Black label. weird.

Cant wait till this dry spell goes away...until then...a photo to remind me of better days....

[​IMG]

8. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa whoa.....whaaaa? Please do go back for this ASAP. I've only dreamed of finding FSC stuff at a thrift. What size? If L-XL, I call dibs!!

9. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Well-Known Member

George Dunbar is a really phenomenal Abstract Expressionist painter/sculptor from Louisiana. Since, if I remember correctly, highlifeman lives there, I'd be willing to bet anything those are his. You can check him out at http://www.georgedunbar.com/

10. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Well-Known Member

Its an XS. Sorry brah.

11. Randomore

Randomore Well-Known Member

No doing the method on a sweater is a no go. Color ran like a mofo and stain didnt go anywhere. Oh well im out 6 bucks.

12. tubs

tubs Well-Known Member

Thrift fit, new puppy edition:

[​IMG]

13. staxringold

As long as I'm in New Haven for thanksgiving I think I'll test the rich neighborhoods theory in the Greenwich area

14. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Hmmm, the poor little guy doesn't look very happy...

15. grendel

Never too late to take up bike repair. [​IMG]

16. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

I have no idea where you saw dryness in these...you left a bunch of great things.

17. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

I heard you get to dress up working in software. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  18. grendel

Ah, but it's completely optional! And I can dress in suits, jeans, and tweed in successive days!

19. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I'd say yes. And consider the source.

You can try, but you're already too late.

Four stores today. One trad belt for me, one pair Canali light gray flat front wool trou in 38 x 32, one skeet blanket for RIDONCULOUSLY cheap, one HT overcoat that's at the cleaners to see if a stain will come out, one Faconnable madras short sleeve shirt for me. I feel like I forgot something. But I think that's it.

20. tubs

tubs Well-Known Member

He's suspicious of the camera, and was going to town on the bone seconds prior. He doesn't mind at all when I put on the sweater or his coat at all, and he shivers when he's outside, so I assume he wants the extra layer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.