1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Anyone know the quality of Johnston & Murphy shoes at slightly above thrift prices and used, to pick up for wearing not for flipping? They say Made in Italy and appear solid but I have no experience with the line.

2. LeafAndArrow

LeafAndArrow Well-Known Member

Ok, whats better than a heated car seat in a state with -20 temps in the winter? An Irvin RAF jacket. Better still? A 20 dollar Irvin RAF jacket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I was debating between caruso and cornelianli as well (I did check that thread before hand)

Nope, looks to be a regular and heavily tailored. I've never felt a size 38 so tight on me.

Does anyone know how to tell if there's enough fabric I can let out the waist (hips) by an inch?

4. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

RRL cotton jacket with corduroy collar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tumi Alpha leather briefcase (second one I've found), $2 at half price :):

[​IMG]

A couple of shetlands (made-in-England Alan Paine, vintage made-in-Scotland Abercrombie and Fitch):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of made-in-NY Coach belts:

[​IMG]

Also saw but passed on this Zanella jacket, a first for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Yes, it's called take it to your tailor. LOL JKJK

No seriously, just take it to a tailor and get his/her expert opinion on the matter.

6. pauly22

pauly22 Member

OK, so as a newb who's gone through the experience of reading through this entire thread I thought I'd toss my 2 pennies in for the next newb who is told, "read the thread" and explain how I did it.

My first post was a couple hundred pages into the thread and like a good boy I did the leg work. It doesn't mean I didn't ask a dumb question or two or make a dumb buy or three but I know I left a lot more behind than I would have otherwise if I hadn't done the reading. A couple of times I didn't get a chance to check in to keep up and I fell behind (yep, this place moves fast). Here's how I minimized the time.

1. Change your settings to view 100 posts per page. 500-odd pages looks a lot less daunting than thousands of pages and the browsing is quicker.
    2. Keep an eye on who the heavy hitters are - those that have a bunch of posts in the thread (Dig has a list up somewhere back <--- there), the ones who are quoted often, and the ones who quote others often.
    3. Look for the quotes. There's a reason - one way or another - why something is being quoted. Figure out why.
    4. Look for the smileys. They don't tell the whole story but they can be the note left in the margin from the previous owner of the book.
    5. You don't have to read every last word in the thread. There's some bickering and arguing and debating sprinkled throughout. Learn to scan over them.

Hope that helps someone. Oh, and don't be afraid to make a mistake or two. Everyone has and everyone will. Your money doesn't always have to be +EV as long as you learn from it.

2 people like this.
  7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

What size is this? If 40S please provide proxy! Can't believe I didn't see this!

1 person likes this.
  8. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

Haha yeah, I'm def. going to go anyway. Have to picked up some goodies I left him recently, just wanted to know if anyone knew an easy way to tell beforehand.

9. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

^^^I hereby declare pauly22, "No longer a noob"!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

:slayer:
    Amazing find!

I have something similar except with untanned hide on the outside and the fur on the inside and I can wear it outside at -30 with just a t-shirt and be comfortable.

You're going to have a good winter. :nodding:

11. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Okay that's what I thought, was concerned I was leaving behind racks upon racks of cash. Also figured BBBF wouldn't be made in india

If it's only partially lined you can see how much fabic you have to work with along the side seam. If it's fully lined, off to your tailor!

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Yes, those are v-cleats. Very nice score. However, I would encourage you to consider flipping them if they do not fit properly. Proper fit is everything when it comes to shoes--you're better off in Johnston Murphy that fits than John Lobb that does not. Those should bring you, conservatively, $50, likely more. If they do fit, great score, and make sure your health insurance policy is up to date. V cleats can be bastards.

13. pnutpug

Whoa.

14. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. Bastards as in very heavy and bulky?

15. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

:worship:
    :lol:
    Both of these: :slayer::slayer: Major scores!!

16. bytor13

bytor13 Well-Known Member

And then you go and spoil it all, by saying something stupid like . . . "they're 9Ds". Seriously, though, hit me up if those are available!

Hit a couple of stores today.

BB Country Club 35W - unworn and unhemmed (available)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measurements:
    Waist - 35
    Rise - 11.5
    Inseam - 36 (unhemmed)
    Width at hem - 9
    Across hips - 20
    Knee - 9.75

Also picked up this belt at TJ Maxx. I needed a new belt and it was only $7. I was curious about it, though. Anyone know what brand this is?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

NOT PICTURED: AE Sanfords in whiskey for myself.

I also left some Incotex and NWT BB Country Club pants at a Savers because they were expensive. They're 50% off tomorrow, though, so I'm hoping they'll last.

17. pauly22

pauly22 Member

[​IMG]

18. pnutpug

JM doesn't get much love and, generally, for good reason. Older Aristocrafts (made in USA) are solid, very. The Italian models, in my experience and from what I've heard through the grapevine, less so, but not as bad as the stuff that's made in, what, Portugal (can't recall the countries off the top of my head). I've had three fellows within the past six months who know I'm into clothes bitch about JM's, particularly the soles, wearing out quickly, but I'm not sure where those shoes were made. One recently bought his first pair of AE's and marveled at the difference in comfort. I bought a pair of JM spectators from someone here because I really liked the way they looked, but I did that knowing that they might get worn three times a year. I think I paid about $30. Before I knew any better, I bought a pair of JM white bucks brand new that were made in Brazil. They're fine, but not as comfortable as my white bucks from BB.

Bottom line, I would not pay more than thrift prices for JM's as a general rule. There are a lot of them out there. I would make an exception for something like white bucks, which are a wardrobe necessity IMO but are not worn often enough to justify a large expenditure, and I definitely would not make the mistake I did and pay $100 or thereabouts.

If you happen to wear 8.5 D, PM and I can set you up with some tasteful tan tassel loafers from JM that are made in Italy. It's hard for me to walk away from shoes that fit, even JM, when they cost $3, and I justified this purchase with the fact that shoe trees were included. Tough to find shoe trees for three bucks. I also have a pair of JM black-on-burgundy saddle shoes and a pair of all black JM saddle shoes that never get worn because I have moved on to better things. Likely, you will also.

19. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys.
    Those are both great. I'm hoping to find a suit worth tailoring sometime soon.

20. pnutpug

Bastards in that they are notorious for slipping on hard floors and putting the wearer on his ass. Seriously. V cleats can be dangerous, which is why, I suppose, they are no longer on the market. Don't get me wrong, Imperials with v-cleats are fine shoes indeed, but I'm in the camp that prefers non-cleated Imperials. They may not be as cool, but after more than a few moments of terror, I can live with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.