1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

HEM.

I'm chalking up the universal lack of response to PURE JEALOUSY (except my homie ChetBakerSings)....

...and my response to extreme insecurity on my part. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

This is the down parka you're looking for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Not available. A big shout-out to Nat for confirming its awesomeness. He figures, and I agree, that it dates to the 80s. But it presents as brand-spankin' new, like a gift that the recepient never wore.

The parka is the highlight, but thrifting has been pretty fair lately. Found an old-school Lands End saddle shoulder crewneck shetland, made in England, a couple days back that's fab--vintage LE shetland sweaters like these are to shetland what Harris is to tweed. The more you look, the more colors you see, and this green one has hints of brown and purple. I failed completely in capturing the richness. Possibly available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Other than that, military-issue digital camouflage has been the highlight. Found 3-4 trousers and an equal number of jacket/shirts, all but a couple NWT, and the others are NWOT. One cap. I've done well with it before, so we'll see.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

Come for the thrifts, stay for Klobbers poop stories.

:laugh:

Is it missing the Brioni label? Showing a composition tag and a garment are merely foreplay, within these hallowed halls of visual indulgence, the label picture is the proverbial cumshot. We are waiting for you to peak.

4. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Thanks, they're deep burgundy. Previous owner put a shit ton of wax on them, and they were caked with black spots all over. After several days of elbow grease, this was what I ended up with.

Hah, yes, that is what I meant. I am aware.

Ok, re. my first thrift pic: I know that first photo I posted was a pretty terrible fit, and I stated so, even delineating some of the grossest errors. In retrospect I maybe shouldn't have posted it, but I did. I think the piece has a little (or more) sentimental value because of the circumstances in which it was purchased (with gf, etc...), and because of that I couldn't make myself either spend money on a super-stained item or pass it on to someone else in that condition, and I couldn't toss it without wearing it at least *once.* So now it's been worn and I will probably get rid of it at some point, unless some 36S wants a very cool, unwearably stained jacket.

Re. my second thrift pic and other thrift pics generally, I largely agree with Hans, on all counts. I am still building my wardrobe and am therefore missing several staples. I have one dated-looking flannel navy suit whose jacket I sometimes use, but it's not that versatile. Aside from that and a couple of suits I can't wear in an everyday work situation (or as SC's), I don't have much staple wise. Part of that is my size and part of that is my price point -- I can find things in my size or things I can afford, but usually not both. Hence, whatever I do find that fits I tend to pickup. I enjoy the challenge of trying to make things work. This is especially true of vintage pieces and loud patterns, and I'm perplexed by some people (more so in waywrn) who are of the opinion that a vintage piece needs to be paired almost solely with other things of similar vintage lest it should look out of place -- I think if done well, it can be integrated otherwise. I accept and appreciate those challenges, and it's nice to share one's own and to see others' efforts toward that end.

As for fit and tailoring, I am just now starting to take stuff to the tailor. It's always still a cost-benefit analysis for me, and I have to think about this when buying stuff, but all the items to tailor piles up... I agree if people are not aware that things need to be tailored or are oblivious to what needs to be done then they might be gently reminded, but I suspect others (as with myself) wish to share an item even if they know it doesn't fit so they can show how they *would* wear it well if everything were indeed tailored properly. I am definitely not seeking advice here for fit, or anywhere else really since I already know the problems, but I welcome feedback on other aspects of combination / pairing. Hans' suggestion is a good one, that people state if they want feedback so that unnecessary space not be wasted on beating dead horses. If it is agreed that only impeccably tailored items be pictured lest our aesthetic sensibilities should be offended, then I (and 60%, was it?) of the posters would and ought to refrain from sharing. I don't think that is the case, but I suppose it's nice to get a better sense of what is acceptable here.

< /rant >

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Ha, no Brioni label (actually, is this typical for topcoats? It doesn't look like there was ever one), though there is the signature "made in Italy" neck label - but I figured this was enough to get the astute readers of this thread to "climax."

6. danne888

danne888 Well-Known Member

Nobody?

7. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Speaking of staples, PM sent!

8. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

I've seen other Brionis that had nothinng else but this labeling. Sometimes you have to settle for a shot of the train going into a tunnel and use your imagination.

1 person likes this.
  9. rayxlui

rayxlui Well-Known Member

After two weeks of studying, I decided I deserved a little thrifting adventure. Went a little overboard picking up things I normally wouldn't have, but it's been so long.

Celine of Paris, RT Carmel, Lanvin, J. Press. Dude, the Robert Talbott Carmel is freaking legit. Feels thick and nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Orvis Made in England with Harris Tweed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pendleton Tweed with Suede Elbow Patches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canali
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ancient Tux by John Wanamaker of New York. 1938 holy crap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pendleton Tweed. Kind of a western thing, with suede patches and stuff.
    [​IMG]

Facconable by Cantarelli
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lands End
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oxxford
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Belvest
    [​IMG]

Brioni
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J Press
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kidding, by Chenzo. Really nice stuff.
    [​IMG]

Cause it's made by Caruso :slayer:
    [​IMG]

Brooks Bros Pure Cashmere
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brioni
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oxxford
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Zegna
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ozwald, Costume National, T&A sleeping thing.
    [​IMG]

10. SpooPoker

^ good thing you didnt go overboard :laugh:

11. Oscarm58

Oscarm58 Well-Known Member

Couple of things today......

Paul Stuart White smoking jacket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Orvis Made in England Harris Tweed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zanella Flat Front Benny Pants
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ferragamo Tie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

L.L. Bean Parka
    [​IMG]

12. Mox C

Mox C Well-Known Member

I couldn't find my brush, and it needs to go to the cleaners, but here's that HF tuxedo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jacket
    Shoulders: 18"
    PTP: 22.5"
    Waist: 21"
    Sleeves: 24.5"
    Length: 30.25"

Pants
    Waist: 36"
    Inseam: 28.25"
    Rise: 14.25"
    Outseam: 40.125"

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

The part I like is, he knows how many packs of smokes he went through but the rest is a blur.

14. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

That's a nice one. Never been able to figure out why they don't sell well at all...

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

It's raining Orvis Made in England Harris Tweeds!!!!

16. SpooPoker

And stuff from the 30s!

17. Mox C

Mox C Well-Known Member

And this is that 1940's tweed SC. It had a hole in the back, but I grabbed it anyway, as it was only $3.50. I figured the simple herringbone weave, one color each for weft and warp, and larger yarn made it a good candidate for my first attempt at reweaving. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I put a spool of green thread behind the hole so that it was more visible for the photo.

[​IMG]

The hole was originally a little below and to the right of the two brown specks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Holy smokes, rayxliu! Love the Belvest and the Oxxford.

Oscar, nice finds on the Ferragamo and the Bean jacket. I found a similar Woolrich jacket recently. Perfect for a rainy day.

Mox, nicely done!

It's fun to see all the vintage stuff popping up here lately.

1 person likes this.
  19. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Well-Known Member

Wow. In the 10 months I've been here this is the best the thread has felt. There was a few months Where I was worried. But whoa I think we are really getting to a place of tight community and fellowship. I'm drunk as fuck - did another triathlon today ... In the ocean that was fun but an 8k run was kinda wild. My bike was more boss than that blue/green windowpane suit that spoo posted 6 weeks ago.

I haven't drank in 2 weeks but I made up for that sobriety by downing rangpur and tonic. Won't One of y'all fuckers come hang out in Charlotte?

In other news... I'm gonna get a suit from ilikethelights and turn pleateds into flats ... Is this posible...

Found out rangpur is out. .... Onto Hendricks and tonic

20. SpooPoker

[​IMG]

Dudes drunk as fcuk and ran a triathlon today, but remembers what suit I wore 6 weeks ago. Thats awesome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.