• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
So, I got a personal grail find today. I'm pretty much obsessed with W.W. Chan & Sons, and I still seriously lament over the fact that I sold off 3 that I picked up a long time ago that probably would have worked for me, but I didn't know jack **** about tailoring at the time thinking they wouldn't fit me, so I unloaded them.

Well, look what I found today...

drool.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

And check this ****...

THIS IS DIRECTLY FROM THE STORE, ONTO MY BODY...NOT A SINGLE STITCH OF TAILORING DONE YET!!!

Sure, the jacket is a *teensy* bit short (also, I'm shrugging my shoulders slightly so it's a bit less short than it appears), but *******. The jacket fit is otherwise PERFECT, and the suit overall is almost perfect in every other way: tapered leg, side vented, soft shoulder (pants are pleated, hence the almost, but still...). This is my white whale.

There is a thrifting Zeus, and that dude is smiling down on me. The only depressing part is that this is definitely from the same owner as the others (absolutely pristine, name crossed out in marker, bought from the same store), so that means the other 3 would have been workable for me if I had know wtf I was doing back when I found them.
facepalm.gif
. Oh, well, nothing can rain on my parade on this one. Soooo excited.

^^^ [Sorry for the double post] Congrats Andro. The suit is pretty close right off the rack - whatever has to be done will probably not be much.
smile.gif

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O.k fellers, this is what I scored from my short but sweet thrift-down with GMMcl yesterday:

RLPL linen trousers, traded from GMMcl, look forward to an all RLPL-linen-thrift-fit-pic-all-from-other-style-forum-members post

Pretty fugly Gucci, available

You all know by now my affinity for paisley print ties, Talbott hand sewn for Paul Simon

Ancient red wool PRL for Eric Salm's Sussex Shop, with the OG price tag of $27.50. Does anybody else get excited by old labels. No? Just me?

My new favorite tie, E. Marinella, my first! This thing is awesome! N/A

Vintage Florsheim brick sole, suede, saddle shoes. I'm wearing the bitches as I type! N/A

Chester Barrie for Harrod's glen plaid sport coat. Another first! Pattern matching is spot on, unfortunately too big for me and has a couple spots I'm going to try and work some magic on. Styling isn't very dated but the labels look old.Sz 44 maybe, haven't measured it yet. Tentatively not available pending spot removal.

And these!!!!!
Paul Stuart made in England canvas and leather spectators!!!! 22 nail heel pattern!! Sexy as all hell! My most favorite thrifted shoes so far. These are just a little too big though. :fu: :fu: Size is marked 11.5 M but must run small because they are only slightly to big for me. Anybody know a good method for shrinking shoes? :brick:

Also, it's amazing how much thrifting ground two guys who know what to look for can cover in such a short time.

bafe

Reaction score
O.k fellers, this is what I scored from my short but sweet thrift-down with GMMcl yesterday:

RLPL linen trousers, traded from GMMcl, look forward to an all RLPL-linen-thrift-fit-pic-all-from-other-style-forum-members post

You all know by now my affinity for paisley print ties, Talbott hand sewn for Paul Simon

Ancient red wool PRL for Eric Salm's Sussex Shop, with the OG price tag of $27.50. Does anybody else get excited by old labels. No? Just me?

Vintage Florsheim brick sole, suede, saddle shoes. I'm wearing the bitches as I type! N/A

Chester Barrie for Harrod's glen plaid sport coat. Another first! Pattern matching is spot on, unfortunately too big for me and has a couple spots I'm going to try and work some magic on. Styling isn't very dated but the labels look old.Sz 44 maybe, haven't measured it yet. Tentatively not available pending spot removal.

And these!!!!!
Paul Stuart made in England canvas and leather spectators!!!! 22 nail heel pattern!! Sexy as all hell! My most favorite thrifted shoes so far. These are just a little too big though.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Size is marked 11.5 M but must run small because they are only slightly to big for me. Anybody know a good method for shrinking shoes?
baldy[1].gif

Also, it's amazing how much thrifting ground two guys who know what to look for can cover in such a short time.
Love the saddles!

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And these!!!!!
Paul Stuart made in England canvas and leather spectators!!!! 22 nail heel pattern!! Sexy as all hell! My most favorite thrifted shoes so far. These are just a little too big though.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Size is marked 11.5 M but must run small because they are only slightly to big for me. Anybody know a good method for shrinking shoes?
baldy[1].gif

I've got an OLD (1960's) Oscar de la Renta tie I thrifted when I first started. It must have been from when that was a good label... There's a McFarlin's price tag in it that I think was $30. One of my favorite ties, still:

How do you spot treat? Interested in good ways to do this.

Also, how big is "just a little too big"? What size do you wear? Those shoes are sexy as hell.

bafe

Reaction score
Great haul today:

Pale Blue italian linen sportscoat with peak lapels
Thin leather briefcase with retractable handles:

A pair of long-sleeved polo shirts (no pictures)

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got an OLD (1960's) Oscar de la Renta tie I thrifted when I first started. It must have been from when that was a good label... There's a McFarlin's price tag in it that I think was $30. One of my favorite ties, still:

How do you spot treat? Interested in good ways to do this.

Also, how big is "just a little too big"? What size do you wear? Those shoes are sexy as hell. 

I'm going to try using oxy clean, then water and then a blow dryer so no water marks are left. I did it on another blazer that had a big brown stain on the lapel, worked great, although these stains appear to be pretty set in, so we'll see.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great haul today:

Pale Blue italian linen sportscoat with peak lapels
Thin leather briefcase with retractable handles:

A pair of long-sleeved polo shirts (no pictures)

That jacket is sick!

bafe

Reaction score
[/SPOILER]
That jacket is sick!
It wasn't that cheap (50 CHF that is 50$, I usually buy a whole bag of clothes with that amount of money) but I HAD to buy it.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And these!!!!!
Paul Stuart made in England canvas and leather spectators!!!! 22 nail heel pattern!! Sexy as all hell! My most favorite thrifted shoes so far. These are just a little too big though. :fu: :fu: Size is marked 11.5 M but must run small because they are only slightly to big for me. Anybody know a good method for shrinking shoes? :brick:

damn the saddles are really sick

bafe

Reaction score
I'd kill for a pair of leather/canvas spectators. Found a women's pair today.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Been finding absolutely nothing the last few weeks and getting a little jealous every time I open this thread. Hoping to find a little thrift time as I swing through Milwaukee and Chicago this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads