1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Well-Known Member

I always pick up the REGENT from the PRL line. Every single one ive come across seems very high quality. I think its their most expensive shirt from that line too.

I picked up a sweet one in a salmon color, with striped, spread color, split back yoke, and side gussets. The pony logo is embroidered on the gussets.

All the ones ive come across seem to be made in Hong Kong.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

True. I have had good experience with Regents, the last one I ordered wasn't the best. After 4-5 washes and never dried in a dryer, the collar and cuffs started to fray. I got rid of it as I have a number of other shirts, but I wasn't pleased with it. When I'm in the US, I'll overpay for RLPL as I can't find it here. However, there are probably better alternatives out there as far as quality goes (in shirts).

3. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

More recent finds - both available

Old but very very unworn looking made in the USA Polo Chesterfield in a 44L

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recent Brooks Brother 1818 Madison 3 roll 2 sack made from Loro Piana cloth in a 38R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. thriftydood

thriftydood Well-Known Member

The recent well-made ones should be those cursive label shirts--check your shirts, the label underneath the Polo Ralph Lauren tag should be in cursive font. They are sold at higher prices than the non-cursive label shirts.

Regent just refers to the collar. Some Regent collar shirts are cursive label (with MoP buttons and all), but others are not (with plastic buttons).

5. HansderHund

1 person likes this.
  6. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

^^ That chesterfield looks sick!

Todays thrift fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orvis corduroy SC, thrifted by me
    Robert Talbott Carmel shirt, thrifted by me
    Unbranded wool knit tie, thrifted by me - this is actually more a dark orange than red
    RRL raw selvedge denim, ebay
    Eastland Made in Maine trail oxfords, thrifted by me

1 person likes this.
  7. tben

tben Well-Known Member

The "estate." Around $125-135 as opposed to the regent, which is around $85.

8. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

9. tben

tben Well-Known Member

10. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, this one is badass. I guess this is called Royal Oxford? you could totally see the weave and it has a very nice sheen to it.

11. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

12. thriftydood

Some stuff I picked up last weekend:

Willis & Geiger Jacket (size M), available:

[​IMG]

PRL half-zip sweater (not available):

[​IMG]

Burberrys Trench Coat (not available): is this a fake? I know it's an old label, just wondering if it's real (I took a chance on it--I paid a consignment price, with no returns):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know anything about Redaelli? It looks like Yoox sells Redaelli pants, coats, and jackets, but that's all the information I could find. Anyway, Redaelli Overcoat (size EU 48/US 38) in a wool/alpaca blend, maybe available. Can someone help me identify the maker based on the tag? I went through the first page of the label/heel thread, but I couldn't find anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a nice burgundy dotted tie, not available:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. thriftydood

Yep, the "Regent Custom Fit" beneath the Polo Ralph Lauren tag is in cursive font.

I think I've seen the cursive label shirts in at least three different collars (Regent, Andrew, and Estate), but there might be more out there.

14. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Yea the one I have was made in Italy and has nice thick MOP's. :D

15. HansderHund

Wow, nice find!

Yeah, I hear you. Mine are attached to the inside wall, below my ties. My wife and I found a new apartment, so we're turning the second bedroom into a closet. I hope to double my closet space.

16. thriftydood

No, "Regent" and "Estate" just refers to the collar.

This Regent collar shirt is a regular PRL dress shirt and has plastic buttons:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12439936

This Regent collar shirt is a premium PRL dress shirt (probably cursive label, but they don't show the label on the website) and has MoP buttons:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4281904

Not all Estate collar shirts are cursive label shirts. See for example item number 190708195421 on Ebay--this shirt has an Estate collar, but it's not cursive label, so it's not a premium PRL shirt and has no MoP buttons.

17. tben

tben Well-Known Member

Interesting. You learn something new every day.

18. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

After abject disappointment at a few stores, I had nearly given up hope for the day. The stop prior to this one, I found a couple awesome 700-fill North Face pieces, both of which I reluctantly left at $15 due to the need for cleaning and a couple damaged spots. I grumbled as I put them back and looked forward to the next stop, one which often rewards with at least one badass piece.

Let's start off with the one that I'm keeping for myself. No big name here, just a nicely tailored peak lapel summer jacket. The content tag lists it as a suit, but I think it could easily be worn as a separate.

[​IMG]

I actually left one RLPL shirt because it was an unimpressive pattern and was $10, but picked up this gem. 16 1/2, great shape.

[​IMG]

On to the jackets....I couldn't leave this pinstriped orphan dangling on the rack. I did a fairly exhaustive search for the pants, but this place is pretty good at keeping suits together so I figured it wasn't meant to be. Fantastic shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On my way out, I did one quick sweep through the outerwear and what did I see hiding amongst the XL cotton hoodies?

Yeah!! Silk and Cashmere finery. Despite being a generation or two ago from Zegna, it doesn't look terribly dated. Definitely not like EZ Soft...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, you have to be shitting me.....this thing is pretty recent and is immaculate. Hand picking everywhere...Made in Italy, unlike most recent Zegna product. FFffffffffffff, not my size at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left a Van Laack suit due to lack of funds and being unsure of what I could do with it. It was quite nice and in the same size range as these that I picked up. If I made a terrible mistake, let me know. Also left a much older EZ suit and a really nice charcoal with blue pinstripe HF suit.

19. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

okay just shipped everything off, I added an couple extra things to each package to apologize for being so slow

20. catside

catside Well-Known Member

Trad history lesson continues :teach:

Tweed! Bespoke. 40 or 41 R, Dual vented.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tweed. 3/2 Sack, Westport Campus shop, 38-39R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

both available

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.