1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

Left behind a women's Pendleton 3/4 length wool jacket last week. Didn't appear to have any holes, but seemed a bit fuzzy around the shoulder blades. For future reference, is there a decent cure for that?

I've been showing a lot of restraint lately at the few shops I've been to. Maybe it's just that I've got a bunch that needs to be photographed/posted to ebay, or maybe I'm becoming less impressed with semi-decent stuff being found in light of the even better things I see being posted. Either way, my bank account is happy for now. Could use a little lightning though for sure.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

A sharp razor blade and a steady hand removes most of that.

3. lastdonb

lastdonb Well-Known Member

One GW after umpiring on Sat, pretty good haul:

My first English, Custom Grade, Balmoral shoes, couldn't tell maker until I did a little research, CHURCH'S, but they are small, excellent shape, would need help on sizing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWT, set of four Riedel (8", I think Chablis) wine glasses, ($6.40 for the set)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kick ass Craftsman mechanics creeper ($16)

[​IMG]

2 TiVo series 2 DVR'S with LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTIONs, $5.60 each.

[​IMG]

Picked up more stuff for me, nice set of 4 glazed salad/soup bowls, marble salt and pepper shaker set, First Zanella casual shirt in M, will post pics later.....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Ok, so, my first thrifting in a while, and I came across what looked like a wardrobe dump with lots of 41R & 42R unvented, with lots of textured browns. Most of it was eaten by moths, including a nice cashmere Burberry jacket, and lots of other stuff, but I did manage some things.

1) BOSS - Hugo Boss suit, charcoal / dark brown ~41R (missing pant button, slight wear on front of right leg)
    3-button unvented suit, 2-pleated cuffed trousers
    ON HOLD

[​IMG]
    medium-weight Super 110's textured wool (doesn't look brown to me except under certain lighting)
    normally wouldn't pick this up, but a staple in a size someone had requested
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Accurate color:
    [​IMG]

Jacket:
    Chest: 22.5
    Waist: 21.5
    Shoulder: 20
    BOC: 30.5
    Sleeve: 24.5

Trousers:
    Waist: 17.25
    Inseam: 31 (+1 in cuff)
    Rise: 12
    Thigh: 12

Hickey Freeman Boardroom Navy Jacket w/ blue horz. stripes & red vert. stripes, 44L
    2-button, single-vent
    AVAILABLE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Measurements:
    Chest: 23.25
    Waist: 23
    Shoulder: 18.25
    BOC: 31.5
    Sleeve: 26.5

There was another jacket of the same kind from the same owner that I didn't pick up, in a nice olive herringbone. I can return to get it if there is interest, but I couldn't find matching trouser.

Faconnable corduroy pant 38Wx30(+2)L, some slight wear to the nap in a couple of places
    AVAILABLE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Measurements:
    Waist: 19
    Inseam: 30(+2)
    Rise: 12
    Thigh: 12.5

Canali browns houndstooth SC, wool+cashmere EU 52R (US 42R)
    AVAILABLE!
    [​IMG]
    Accurate color:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Measurements:
    Chest: 22.5
    Waist: 21
    Shoulder: 21
    BOC: 30
    Sleeve: 25(+1)

Also picked up:
    Found a Jos.A.Bank's Exec collection black+khaki houndstooth SC, in wool+silk (I'm guessing), as a gift for someone in 41R, and a cheapish charcoal St. John's Bay peacoat in wool+cashmere+nylon that I'll keep for myself only because it fits perfectly. From the same wardrobe dump there was also a 100% linen khaki+olive check BR SC, half-lined in 42R (more like a 43R).

Didn't pick up:
    There was also a really hideously colored jacket in exactly my size (36R) that fit like a charm, but it was a gross teal+green+blue plaid. If anybody wants a loud 80's styled sportcoat in that size and color, let me know; it's in great shape, hardly worn...[​IMG] Of course, I was happy to find the Canali shortly afterward!

5. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Brioni corduroy

[​IMG]

E. Zegna (Trofeo cloth)

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers made in Italy

[​IMG]

Chipp madras sack, circa 1970 (unavailable)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Wow, those are all great! Sizes on the Brioni, EZ and BB?

7. mat135ta

mat135ta Well-Known Member

I bought a Giorgio Armani silk jacket more than 2 months ago in this store, thinking that it is a sportcoat. But today, I came across the matching pants for the jacket in the same store... Many the pants has been waiting for me in the store during the last 2 months...

Anyway, I also bought my third Brioni wool trousers from this store in this week, and two pairs of loafers, one by Gucci, one by Zegna. I got my mum two pairs of very well-made heels, one from Rayne who made the wedding shoes for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, one from Lisa Cora of which I found no information online.

8. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

i know close to nothing about ebay or flipping, so take this with a grain of salt: that jacket looks mega dated. to steal a phrase from horse's_ass: that jacket looks like a saggy pair of tits. everyone in this thread gets worked up over brands, but styling is probably more important than the label. "timeless" is a myth. stick to recent stuff.

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Wait what???!!! How the hell...

That is banging!!!

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

I want that rainbow Chipp.

1 person likes this.
  11. staxringold

staxringold Well-Known Member

Good point, dibs 50R/L and size 14!

12. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

I want to see that fit pic

13. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

^^^^what he said. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw that exact same jacket featured in the new Trad Clothing exhibit at the FIT museum.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  14. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

15. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I am going to spend it at the thrift store so I suppose I can brag on this one.....

I just won $250 on a local radio station this morning!!!

A round of Christian Dior Ties on me.

2 people like this.
  16. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

I think these may be Hanover. AAAC has a big thread full of shell model numbers, and though neither of these codes are in it, Hanover used 4-digit codes starting with 2 for some of their other models.

You've got the size info correct. 75 is 7.5, and the 4 that precedes it = D width. A = 1, B = 2, C = 3, 4 = D. I assume they did that so they didn't have to buy letter dies for the stamps they used on the internal numbering?

17. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Nah...as a Hanover local...I will respectfully disagree. The numbering style is not typical of Hanover shoes, although the 1950's Stuff is kinda similar. The number 4 doesn't look right though. They did however size their shoes that same way back then...with the number rather than letter.

Also don't trust all of those shell numbers on the AAAC, we have found the hard way that some are incorrect....just ask Brianpore.

Here is the same list compiled into a spreadsheet with some corrections and additions. Note: There still may be errors...as I have not yet verified 80% of this list.

PATROLOGIA, do you have any pics of the soles?

1 person likes this.
  18. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Had a nice day out with LookinGr8 yesterday, dudes a seriouly nice guy, and the Barbour wool windowpane sport-coat he showed up in was :drool: My favorite find of the day was this Pendleton shirt-blazer, shlazer/blirt? Size small, I plan on rocking it like a sweat-shirt. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @Acosby sweater
    [​IMG]
    Sweet PRL work-wear type jacket. I didn't try it on at the store only to realize the sleeves are about an inch too short. :brick: Size medium and available.
    [​IMG]
    BB unstructured, unlined patch pocket blazer with surgeon cuffs. Size XL, available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Amazing vintage LL Bean 4 button, belted corduroy sport coat. Size is 38 and fits like a glove, though I'm not sure what one wears with something like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mint Oxxford gray flannel pin stripe suit, flat front and cuffed, first complete Oxxford suit I've found in the wild. :slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

That LL Bean is amazing! Wear it with jeans or tweed pants and a driving cap. Also chunky boots... and a shotgun.

Nice score on the Oxxford, even though the lapels are a bit dated. [​IMG]

20. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Swackett, love it! The Oxxford is dated 1980 but besides the fish mouth lapels, the lack of pleats and shoulder padding and high button point make it look more current than it is. And the fabric, :bounce2:, nicest flannel I've yet laid hands on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.