1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Odd, folks on AAAC were recently bemoaning how tough it is to flip duffel coats, or any overcoats for that matter. That said, fine-looking coat.

2. Patrologia

Patrologia Well-Known Member

I don't really get the crazy shirt thing myself, so I've never really looked into it (other than knowing from this thread that RG is ebay money all day long). Anyway, I recognized TM Lewin - is this anything any of you would want? I can go back for it if so.

[​IMG]

3. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

4. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Well-Known Member

Sorry, wrong thread. MOved to thrift b/s/t

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yes, I say Real! Pretty cool too.

6. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

Real, based on the direction of the weave from 10 o clock to 5 o clock. The keeper looks well made also.

7. mjt73106

mjt73106 Well-Known Member

Does it have a loop?

8. ahk11

ahk11 Well-Known Member

Hermes looks real, and real awesome, nice score!

9. petitnoblesse

petitnoblesse Well-Known Member

Three Turnbull and Asser button downs, may be MTM based on the date tag, neck measures just shy of 17", arms are 34, MOP buttons, neck is just a hair to tight for me so available, prefer to trade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

That Tom Ford is a crazy find! I would have torn the store apart looking for the pants. If they weren't there, I would have camped there for a week to see if they came out.

Is it just me, or is it raining Turnbull & Assers lately?

Welcome aboard!

I spy a Cedrics label. Are you near Minneapolis? I remember Cedrics - really ritzy clothing store in the Galleria Edina. Closed in the late 90's. Carried a good selection of quality labels, but nothing seriously high end (I don't recall seeing Brioni, Isaia or anything of that level).

Also, that Brioni shirt is amaazing find! Looks recent, too. They still use that label, in fact.

I've always thought the "Brioni for Neiman Marcus" shirt labels looks a bit dated since Neiman Marcus isn't written in it's signature script.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  11. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Shame it is a woman's. Could have looked like:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

Just a quick Hermes tie quide via online sources. The two methods are the fastest way to determine if a Hermes tie is fake or not.

1. The MOST TELL-TALE Sign in spotting a Fake Hermes is to gently peel back the delicate folds on the back of the wide end of the tie. Here you SHOULD see a small thread loop approximately 1/2" to 1" Long piercing through the silk of the tie. Hermes is the ONLY Tie Maker in the World to utilze a Single Thread Stitch from end to end in their ties. The Thread ends in this small loop inside the back folds of the tie, and can be used to sinch up the seam should it become loose over time. IF your tie has a heavy stitch closing the back of the tie with no thread in
    siight, it is surely a Fake!

SOURCE LINK

[​IMG]
    PIC SOURCE The Best Hermes Tie Guide EVER!!!

2. ALL Authentic Hermes Ties have an Alpha-Numeric Code approximately 5" up fom the small point end of the tie. This Code will consist of a three or four digit Number that denotes he pattern code, followed by two Letters that denote the design factory (SA, FA, HA, OA, PA, TA, EA, IA, MA, or UA.) The Color of the Box that encloses the code will generally match with a color from the front figural pattern, and it will ALWAYS contain the words: "MADE IN FRANCE" above the code and "100% SOIE" below the code. The letters are always CAPITALIZED.

SOURCE LINK

[​IMG]

PIC SOURCE The Best Hermes Tie Guide EVER!!!

13. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers for me. This an orphan or a sport coat?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw this and got excited
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, then upon closer inspection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSA: Came across two nice light purple (or maybe it was light green... hmm doubting my memory at the moment) Richard James shirts in 16"/41cm but they stapled the price tag through the shirt so didn't pick up. Also, came across a bunch of Jack Victor (orphan suit coats and suits) in 48-50R. Likely half canvassed. Nice stuff but not sure if anyone wanted so didn't pick up. Also, a Brooks Brothers navy blue pinstriped suit in 40L (I already have one that I never wear and it was like $30 so I didn't pick it up).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  14. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

It's funny you should mention that, it's rather large for a womans coat, zippers like a mans coat, and fits me nicely. I'm not sure if anybody could tell the difference. :embar:

1 person likes this.
  15. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I took a closer look. 99.9% real :bigstar:

The other ties must have been jealous. It was all by itself on the floor!

1 person likes this.
  16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Still my best pickup.

18. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

You Cray Cray!!

19. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Rough day, hit 2 GW's and came home with a Banana Rep cashmere v neck sweater and an express shirt I liked.

The bad-

Hickey Freeman Bespoke Suit, couldn't find pants
    Donna Karan Signature suit, couldn't find pants
    3 or 4 HSM, found pants on 1, but it was older, didn't fit and wasn't worth flipping
    Dior tie, stained
    Dior blazer, stained and stitching coming out on shoulder
    Canali, Ted Baker, Flusser and a couple other shirts that weren't my size and I was too lazy to flip
    Tommy Bahama pants, my size, I guess I put them back, I got home and didn't have them and they weren't on my receipt

Whatever, try again another day.

20. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

Tom Ford? Man, oh man. I'd have been right there camping HARD, too!

Thank you! And yes, I'm right outside of Minneapolis (Bloomington.) I've seen a ton of Cedrics labels on stuff here when I go out to hunt... most of them are pretty old, ratty, or not even worth a look. I did, however, find an orphaned Canali DB, 6x2, navy with white chalk pinstripe with a Cedrics label. Didn't pick it up - pants were nowhere in sight, and it was a tad too tight.

Seriously? I thought that the Brioni shirt was a bit dated, too. I've yet to see the Neiman Marcus in anything but the signature script. Score!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.