1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoofit

Hoofit Well-Known Member

Found a Brioni DB jacket that is an off white color. And 2 pair of Zanella pants.
    Will post pics of the Brioni once I get my camera going.

2. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Is Pal Zileri worth it?
    Like TexasJack stated, they're more fashion-oriented than Canali and the like, thus they appear dated much quicker. If you can find a nice piece that is pretty recent Ziliri is great. Their "Pull" diffusion line, though is complete garbage. I found a few jackets from the "Pull" line at a garage sale and passed on them for $3. Their Sartoriale line, on the other hand is amazing from what I've heard. Antirabbit found a couple jackets from this line and said they're quite nice. As for me, I've had a decent day. I found two navy Polo RL by Corneliani blazers. Both 3 button with brown buttons. One is a wool/cashmere blend and is a peak lapel with a ticket pocket. The other is a standard notch lapel with two flap pockets. Really nice, both look recent too.I sold two jackets in the B/S forum a couple weeks back from this same donor (must have dropped off a new batch this past week). He took great care of his clothing and they look barely worn. However, I'm very irritated at the clothing people at the main center, though. I looked through the trousers rack today to find four Polo RL by Corneliani suit trousers. The fabrics were beautiful, but they were separated from the jackets and the jackets were probably sent off to another store or were bought already. I'm pretty sure they were suit trousers, as they had the suit size (44R) on the tag under the waistband. Ugh - honestly, how hard is it to hand two matching pieces together. I understand that they're rehab patients who really couldn't give a rat's ass about matching a suit, but is it that much harder to hang a suit jacket on a suit hanger with the pants than staple another tag on the pants and hang them separately from the jacket. /Rant

3. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Is Pal Zileri worth it?

Often yes. The higher grade, Sartoriale, almost always.

It's not discussed much on the board only because the label doesn't get much play in North America.

4. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

However, I'm very irritated at the clothing people at the main center, though. I looked through the trousers rack today to find four Polo RL by Corneliani suit trousers. The fabrics were beautiful, but they were separated from the jackets and the jackets were probably sent off to another store or were bought already. I'm pretty sure they were suit trousers, as they had the suit size (44R) on the tag under the waistband. Ugh - honestly, how hard is it to hand two matching pieces together. I understand that they're rehab patients who really couldn't give a rat's ass about matching a suit, but is it that much harder to hang a suit jacket on a suit hanger with the pants than staple another tag on the pants and hang them separately from the jacket.

/Rant

Don't get me started. I've spoken to a few workers at various thrift stores and asked if anything can be done to pay closer attention to matching suit pants and jackets. The typical response is that they tag 'em how they see 'em. Meaning, if the pants aren't right there with the jacket when they hoist the jacket out of the garbage bag then forget it. They're not about to rummage around the bag to find matching pants. It's a shame yes, but so are urine stains and moth holes. Such is the nature of the beast. But, once I did find those matching pants to the Oxxford suit jacket at different locations of the same chain. So the impossible is possible.

5. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

Also found a black Battistoni cotton/linen summer sport jacket. I've never come across Battistoni before except for a cool tie. Me likey.

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

Found three Huntsman shirts - all herringbone - two French Cuff and one with an interesting double-button cuff that I can't quite figure out -- is it meant to be worn with cufflinks if so desired? And why are two of the shirt labels the same but the other is different? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Some pics (note the pattern matching across the split yoke) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

Found three Huntsman shirts - all herringbone - two French Cuff and one with an interesting double-button cuff that I can't quite figure out -- is it meant to be worn with cufflinks if so desired? And why are two of the shirt labels the same but the other is different? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Some pics (note the pattern matching across the split yoke) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nice shirts! Never seen that cuff situation before. Is anyone else wondering how the hell we're finding this stuff amidst the ebay parasites? Have we scared them underground?

8. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

I hope I see you in a thrift store and you try to "get aggressive" with me.

It will be funny.

For me.

I'm tempted to kick you off just for this moronic post in my thread.

THIS IS AWESOME [​IMG]

9. mike540

mike540 Well-Known Member

Just got these two Turnbull & Asser shirts off eBay for a total of about $28 shipped:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Taking a bit of a risk there because the seller has 0 feedback and is in Canada, but worth the risk considering if they're legit I get a couple great shirts for less than $30 total.

Great shirts, I saw them too and thought about bidding on them but they're a little big for me. That seller had a bunch of other great stuff too. Enough so I added them to my favourite sellers to keep an eye on them.

Had a pretty good week thrifting. A US made RL polo, Zegna Sport polo, a cool Boss sweater/blazer thing, Zegna mainline SC and another Brioni SC. Out of the 4 Brioni's I've found recently this one fits perfectly with the exception of the sleeves being about a 1/4 inch short. It has working cuffs but plenty of extra material so I think it will be OK.

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Just found a Safari jacket from the old american made Abercrombie and Fitch. Now I just need a safari to go to. What did people wear under these? This one has short sleeves and no belt just a cinched middle area.

11. rubin749

rubin749 Well-Known Member

Picked up a nice Dunhill bag and a pair of navy, NWT Hickey Freeman pants in 90% cotton, 10% cashmere, size 36. I might trade or sell the pants though, because they need to be taken in a bit and they have a single pleat.

12. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Well-Known Member

Just found a Safari jacket from the old american made Abercrombie and Fitch. Now I just need a safari to go to. What did people wear under these? This one has short sleeves and no belt just a cinched middle area.
    If it's short sleeved, I'd probably wear just a white, v-neck tshirt.

13. theguy

theguy Well-Known Member

had my first thrift shop experience today
    spent $68 and left with 2 belts a Thomas Pink tie, 9 button down dress shirts.
    2 T. pink $2 each
    1 Borelli tags still on it and plastic under collar $8
    2 S Ferragamo $8 each
    1 Cavalli $6
    3 brooks brothers $7 each

all mint no stains, fading, rips
    all my size
    awesome

boys girls club sale by me
    not bad huh?

edit- the people pricing these have no idea what they were doing - tons of llbean, izod, structure shirts for $8-$12 lol
    why have Borelli when you can have izod for the same price right?

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

2 T. pink $2 each
    2 S Ferragamo $8 each
    1 Cavalli $6

all my size
    awesome

not bad huh?

edit- the people pricing these have no idea what they were doing - tons of llbean, izod, structure shirts for $8-$12 lol

I don't think I found anything the first time I went to a thrift shop

15. illeagle

illeagle Well-Known Member

2 T. pink $2 each
    2 S Ferragamo $8 each
    1 Cavalli $6

all my size
    awesome

not bad huh?

It can only possibly go down from there [​IMG] Nice finds...didn't even know the Boys & Girls Club had thrift shops

16. theguy

theguy Well-Known Member

yea they have the sale every year, only this b.a.g.c.
    The surrounding areas are fairly ritzy (Brookville,Locust Valley, Muttontown) so I would image(hope) its like this every year.
    edit on my other post
    Brioni not Borelli

17. MDGD

MDGD Member

Perfect find today -- black AE Park Aves in my size, $12.99. Uppers are in perfect condition. They'll need resoling sooner rather than later, but this is a perfect find -- I'm starting a new job, professional environment, in two weeks, and I needed to add to my shoe rotation.

18. otc

otc Well-Known Member

2 T. pink $2 each
    2 S Ferragamo $8 each
    1 Cavalli $6

all my size
    awesome

not bad huh?

Prices are pretty high by thrift store standards but in mint condition...still a steal.

Maybe you won't find anything next time around (though I hope you will) but other places are going to be half that

19. rubin749

rubin749 Well-Known Member

Here's the Dunhill bag I picked up yesterday for 5 bucks.

[​IMG]

20. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Here's the Dunhill bag I picked up yesterday for 5 bucks.

NICE snag!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.