1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

Holy shit that Niles! :slayer:

2. madmacs

madmacs Well-Known Member

canali size 52eu - check
    canali size 52eu - check
    pity they arent both 44L both sport coats and available... trades?

Oh and a pair of BB shell in 9D if anyone is interested

3. ocooney

ocooney Well-Known Member

Sorry for the noob question, but can anybody tell me anything about this Givenchy label:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy blackberry pic. It reads Gentlemen/Givenchy/Paris

Would not normally have picked up, but it is 65% alpaca and the texture is really cool...quality seemed decent and the made in Italy made me feel a little better.

As Mainy noted about Harris Tweed, this is also a great time for outerwear. Also found a really nice Andover shop overcoat. Both of them found in the women's department.

Also wanted to acknowledge toscano_adottato and Eazye for hooking me up with some really great stuff lately.

Thanks,
    O

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

The only thing I can tell you about that Givenchy label is it's far too small to see.

:rimshot:

6. ocooney

ocooney Well-Known Member

Yeah...sorry. I'll post again when I get my camera back.

Thanks anyway

7. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Well-Known Member

Givenchy Gentleman is a pretty bad line. Not worth a pickup imho.

However, I haven't seen that particular label, so who knows.

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Thrift fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jacket: Super recent Hickey Freeman super 140s SC, courtesy mexicutioner (CRAZY soft. One of the softest jackets I own, actually); shirt: Tosaro Balor, thrifted. Never heard of it, but it's awesome. Gorgeous color, thick fabric, FC, fits me perfectly. Love it. Pants: Loro Piana, courtesy vexco (BRANDED, not fabric!!). These pants. Boy oh boy, these pants. If I could, I would trade every single pair of pants I've ever handled (Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Incotex, Zanella) to fill my wardrobe with these pants exclusively. It's close, but these are actually even nicer than the Barbera pants (that I got from ocooney, btw) I got. The fabric, as with LP everything, is the softest thing in the world, but it's the FIT that really makes these. The fit is AMAZING (flat front, great leg taper, narrow leg opening, nice thick cuff, etc.). They seriously feel like they were made for me. Also a gorgeous color. Shoes: AE "Orleans" white suede bucks.

Yes, I know many aren't a fan of FC shirts with blazers, but I loved the shirt in this combo too much not to rock it.

2 people like this.
  9. darkmatter7

If you want we can do a package deal. I have some Versace shirts with Sapphires and Diamonds....

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

11. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for eBay advice :)

Like it :fonz:

12. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment! I feel reassured, but they are far from my particular style. It's fun to find great thrift deals. I was on a pure strikeout lately.

On a side note, because I am new, that picture post may double post. I tried to post once (and it didn't actually post) so I tried again. To those that see the double-post...my apologies! I am still learning the forum and trying to learn the ground rules before I jump in. You guys have been extremely educating, and I needed it. If anyone is interested in the Ties, let me know. I put them on the bay but am happy to ship them out if someone has some strong desire for Madusa on their ties.

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it:

Do you get really excited - as in - catch your breath when you find something really nice?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Do you bring a cheat-sheet with brand names written on it, just in case?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Does your Spidey sense tingle when you find an item that "seems like it's something" but you're not sure, so you buy it anyway?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Do you use a smartphone in the thrift/resale shop to look up resale prices on eBay?
    YES [ ] NO[X]
    If no, explain: Still using my original Razr but thinking of upgrading specifically for this purpose; otherwise I rarely text, never get on the web via cell phone so it's never been an issue.

Do you thrift shop mainly for keepers, or resale?
    KEEPERS [ ] RESALE [X]
    If resale, explain: Everyone took ("received" is a more apt description) a pay cut at my company a while back, so to supplement my income I got into it. It's a lot of fun (see "Yes" answers above) and after making the typical rookie mistakes, and learning a lot in the field and online, a little profit doesn't hurt.

Do you check Goodwill locations online before going to (or while in) a different city, and set aside time to thrift while there?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

If you're a reseller on eBay, do you get personally offended when someone un-watches an item?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Likewise, when an item has numerous watchers but no bidders, do you get frustrated and wonder why someone doesn't just bid on the goddamn thing already?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Have you ever taken a long lunch, or partial / full vacation day just to hit some thrift / resale shops on a weekday?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

I think that about covers the symptoms of this wretched disease...

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

This would be a great new thread......just an idea

On a side note.... does anyone know about off road dirt bikes.....Yamaha YZ85 (I'm small remember).. etc. Please PM me. Thanks!!!!

15. darkmatter7

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it:

Do you get really excited - as in - catch your breath when you find something really nice?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Do you bring a cheat-sheet with brand names written on it, just in case?
    YES [ ] NO [X]

Does your Spidey sense tingle when you enter a store and smell Kiton in the air?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Do you use a smartphone in the thrift/resale shop to look up resale prices on eBay?
    YES [ ] NO[X]
    If no, explain: I did that for long enough that I have a pretty good idea of resale prices.

Do you thrift shop mainly for keepers, or resale?
    KEEPERS [ ] RESALE [X]
    If resale, explain: I haven't been finding a lot of Thom Browne lately. I really like Thom Browne, but am not as big of a fan of Tom Ford.

Do you check Goodwill locations online before going to (or while in) a different city, and set aside time to thrift while there?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Have you ever taken a long lunch, or partial / full vacation day just to hit some thrift / resale shops on a weekday?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Have you ever left your significant other in the car in order to thrift?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Do you wear Vibram Five Fingers to thrift?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Have you ever thrifted 14 hours in a day?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

Have you ever thrifted while in a high fever?
    YES [X] NO [ ]
    If yes, expain: The Kiton would make the pain go away...

Have you ever bought a severely damaged item that you knew would not resell just to "rescue it"?
    YES [X] NO [ ]

I think that's a decent start, but I'll need to make this a weekly series to cover the symptoms of this wretched disease...

16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HAVE YOU EVER MADE A LAND'S END SANDWICH?

Six contestants remain as the finalists compete for the $25,000, and possibly, a chance at love...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TAGGED LARGE , 42-44 REG

Navy: 22" P2P, 31" BOC, pocketless
    Caramel Machiatto: 24" P2P, BOC 29.75", chest pocket, smooth cotton
    Darker Brown: p2p 24.5", BOC 32.5", pocketless
    Yellow: P2P 24", BOC 28", pocketless, soft pima cotton
    Khaki P2P 22.5", BOC 30.5", pocketless

TAGGED LARGE, 42-44 TALL
    Dark Green: P2P 22.6", BOC 33.2", chest pocket

[​IMG]

:slayer:​

17. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Why did you buy those?

18. noob in 89

'Cause they're good, simple, unbranded polos, I'm almost certain they're dead stock / unworn, and I got to dress my younger bros, and possibly, some thrift homies for cheep. :teach:

tl;dr come on, dude, it don't have to be all goth ninja all the time

:laugh:

1 person likes this.
  19. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Do you want more? :D

20. noob in 89

[​IMG]

I got like 15