• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
From the you never know what you'll find file: 1 large and 2 small Tom Ford garment bags, the kind of thing they'd give you in the store when you buy a suit, but quite nice. Alas, no suits inside.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
I understand that this thread is supposed to be about bragging, which is technically what I thought I was doing. Of course I knew that my 'finds' were less than desirable which is why I left them on the rack. Admittedly, I didnt take the 20 seconds to google the fact that LPL Green Label is the basement of the basement in the 'House of Ralph Lauren Polo' and for that I apologize. I eagerly wanted to dive into this thread and become a staple member as I find myself doing a thrift round usually twice a week and often come across things that I dont quite understand if I should keep it or leave it. I joined this thread and forum so I can improve my decision making when I thrift and perhaps help someone along the line if I do ever find a 'worthwhile thrift' that doesnt fit. I will use better judgement next time. Thanks!

THAT BEING SAID

I really do like the quality of the Keys & Lockwood tie
tongue.gif

hyakku

Reaction score

From the you never know what you'll find file: 1 large and 2 small Tom Ford garment bags, the kind of thing they'd give you in the store when you buy a suit, but quite nice. Alas, no suits inside.

Lol I'm in class so I wasn't adding posts just scrolling through pics, saw this and nearly netted myself. I think peope across the room are looking at me because I audibly gasped and my jaw dropped until I read there weren't any suits in there :(

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keys & Lockwood ties are nice. I came across one a couple years ago, kept it in the rotation for awhile, then sold it on B&S. It would probably get more love from the trad guys on AAAC.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one Alan. Garment bags, hangers, shoe trees - the under-appreciated necessities of thrift.

Some discount store bragging. Not enough of that in this thread.

You guys have probably seen these funky Isaia shoes around. $63 down from $400.
mQnFWl.jpg
Got this Jil Sander navy pea coat from Saks. Tagged some crazy size but fits like a 38/48 :)
Three hundo and change down from $2k.
rQibQl.jpg
And from the thrift store.
First tie is old Polo Ralph Lauren, cashmere. Second tie is from the :eh: file. I don't know what to make of it. Just bought it to share.
TRCa3l.jpg

rO9Ypl.jpg
n4fxrl.jpg

Last edited:

ebw1

Reaction score
I hate to tell this to the forum, but I am changing my habits as to how I conduct business here. This change means:
1) I will only post finds I make that are in my size and are not for sale or trade. That way I can gloat and brag about it, do the whole stick my tongue out waggle my fingers on the side of my head thing.
2) I now know enough people, that anything "not my size", I will PM first the relevant people, and if any dibs, I will add it to box of items I reserve for trades or cheap flips. Any non dibbed items from PM's, I will now post these in the "For Trade / Flip" thread or they go on the Bay so I do not stockpile to the point of hoarding.

I think the biggest problem in general, and the source of your frustration, is "dibs."

Why not just post stuff and tell people you are not soliciting offers/dibs? You can sell/trade the stuff you find with whomever you like and everybody gets the pleasure of seeing the cool stuff you find!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do express some sadness as to not see all of Klobber's awesome finds. He's in an excellent area for thrifting and his contributions to this thread were great. I do know what it is like to have my inbox flooded by half of styleforum too so I can see where he's coming from.

LOL, not signing out, not changing anything much. I just wont post a bunch of odd sizes to gloat about them - I will be offering first through the PM's. I have a word doc of all traders here, Spoo, Nataku, Achillies, TheWGP, Andro, Brian, etc and so many other users. Great finds, I cut and paste the size section names, and PM respective people. Any thing I find in my size zone 54 - 58, you bet your bottom dollar I will be posting and raving over the finds. How many of us miss great finds in any case in the thread system? In our current system, I dont even read more than 2/3 pages prior - PM's are just a much better way of conducting business.

PM Spoo!

I think the biggest problem in general, and the source of your frustration, is "dibs."
Why not just post stuff and tell people you are not soliciting offers/dibs? You can sell/trade the stuff you find with whomever you like and everybody gets the pleasure of seeing the cool stuff you find!

Point is I want people to have dibs, but on offer terms. An offer = a statement of intent, the other person knows where you are coming from. I.e. "Hi 42R fellow, I found this piece, I heard you have this piece for me, whacha say to a trade?". I dont want to list a 42R, then say to the forum, not for dibs. That would be madness, because I would have no intention of keeping it. The moment you say it is for dibs, then 20 PM's follow through, many of whom are not even thrifters and have little or no trades at all. I want to move out of money and more towards a trading network.

Last edited:

ebw1

Reaction score
I understand that this thread is supposed to be about bragging, which is technically what I thought I was doing. Of course I knew that my 'finds' were less than desirable which is why I left them on the rack. Admittedly, I didnt take the 20 seconds to google the fact that LPL Green Label is the basement of the basement in the 'House of Ralph Lauren Polo' and for that I apologize. I eagerly wanted to dive into this thread and become a staple member as I find myself doing a thrift round usually twice a week and often come across things that I dont quite understand if I should keep it or leave it. I joined this thread and forum so I can improve my decision making when I thrift and perhaps help someone along the line if I do ever find a 'worthwhile thrift' that doesnt fit. I will use better judgement next time. Thanks!

If you want a better sense of what is worth bragging about and what is not, at least in the eyes of this community :) , I suggest you dive into this thread and read some of the thousands of pages of stuff people have found. It's a great resource if you are willing to devote a little time, and it will undoubtedly help your thrifting as well!

GHo

Reaction score

Sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear.....these are now on consignment. However, there are definitely a few items that I may end up purchasing at a discount :D

what's your take for consigning for him?

GHo

Reaction score

I picked this up because it looked like a fairly recent Hickey Freeman tag. I was also assuming that this is a sport coat. It fits, but I got it home and my wife asked me why I always pick up used-car-salesman clothes.

that coat rocks and it's a 38R. hhhmmmm. :nodding:

ebw1

Reaction score
Point is I want people to have dibs, but on offer terms. An offer = a statement of intent, the other person knows where you are coming from. I.e. "Hi 42R fellow, I found this piece, I heard you have this piece for me, whacha say to a trade?". I dont want to list a 42R, then say to the forum, not for dibs. That would be madness, because I would have no intention of keeping it. The moment you say it is for dibs, then 20 PM's follow through, many of whom are not even thrifters and have little or no trades at all. I want to move out of money and more towards a trading network.

Yeah I feel you. Why not just say "trades only"?

I guess I have an ulterior motive here though because I'm not part of your select circle of homies :)

Metcarfre

Reaction score
Yeah, as a n00b it seems a tad like a, shall we say, 'old boys' network.

However, it is of course your own prerogative to deal with your friends as you see fit - but I just like being blown away by what some of you guys manage to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads