1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

:spew:

2. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Is it crazy that I hit up 10-15 stores spread out over Chicago on my bike?

3. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Art!

Nice finds, HanserHund.

For now, I'll have to sate my desire to find an earth-shattering piece of art with mere pop pieces.

I picked up this guy because a) I hadn't purchased anything from a thrift in a few days b) it's pretty sweet, and I like it for some odd reason and c) it looked like it was worth a bit more than the $2.10 I paid, with tax.

But I have no idea what it is. Maybe I'll flip it to a set designer for an '80s movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Bicycle or Motorcycle?

5. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Well-Known Member

hey brahs -- i know many of you are on the lookout for summer gear. here's an Orvis madras shirt, tagged L. available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Mountain bike, Cannondale Chase to be precise.

7. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Well it beats sitting in traffic I guess. Do you pull a trailer or something or just tie all of those shoe strings together and hang them from the handlebars.

Oh yeah...Yes you are crazy, but probably in considerably better shape than I.

8. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

That's awesome. How many miles do you think you cover? It would be great to cut down on gas expenses.

9. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, today's haul, nothing much, just a couple odds and ends.
    [​IMG]
    Been had Filson. Available. Large.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another tie holder, I think I'll be set for awhile.....maybe...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL
    PRL madras, small!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Another madras with the maker tag cut out.
    [​IMG]
    Picker this up for another SF member.
    [​IMG]
    A really sick oil tanned belt by Brighton, which I'm wearing now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Great Gatsby, haven't read that one in awhile, another addition to my Time Life wild west series of books, which have amazing photographs in them and a couple albums. I don't usually go for the complatlation albums, but there are some gems on these I didn't have yet.
    [​IMG]

10. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

I actually just carry my old Lowe backpack. However, if I end up finding a ton of shit, I've been known to buy another backpack on the spot and just re-donate after I'm done with it. It does keep me in great shape, on any given day I cover about 30-40 miles. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I also really enjoy riding through heavy traffic. I used to do some pretty serious downhill mountain biking, but since moving to a large (re: FLAT) city, I dodge cars instead of trees. :D

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I like that and the price doesn't feel too bad, either.

I tend to pick up things that I like and especially if it has a signature or number. Most frames aren't too worthwhile, so if I don't have a place to store it I'll take it out of the frame.

I don't mean to turn this into an art thread, but thought I'd share a few of my finds. Sorry about the weird angles, I took them quickly. Some of these came from flea markets as well...

Typical still life watercolor fruit that has been reframed and hangs in our kitchen...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Botanicals that I reframed and hang in our entrance hall. If anyone likes vintage/antique botanicals, let me know because I find them on a fairly regular basis.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are original prints from 1930. They were stored well with an entire collection by an old man and the colors are very crisp. I chose 3 from the stack, but the guy gave me his number in case I wanted all of them. I'm tempted. The problem is that there is a hole in most, as I believe they were kept in a binder.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would never hang these, but I thought there was some value in owning them. They're original 19th century lithographs from a famous Frenchman. I believe a couple of similar lithographs by this artist hang in the national galleries of France.

I've always loved globes and maps and own a lot of them. My earliest is a map of our region in Austria from 1656. This globe is unique in that it was produced by a German company during the war. Most globemakers produced a new globe every 4-5 years, but Hitler demanded a new globe more often so during this time they're marked with a month and year. This one shows many areas that Germany claimed to still own/control but in reality had never controlled or had been pushed back. They even have their colonies listed in Africa which they had given up years before. Austria is not featured as it was considered a part of the German Reich.

I also collect glass...the large glass bottles (around 2 feet tall) that are used in wine and schnapps production. These are about 150 years old:

12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

When I used to live in Chicago, we had an old sofa we didn't want anymore. We found someplace that agreed to come and pick it up and made arrangements to come the next afternoon. So this girl shows up, about 22 years old, 120 pounds. She didn't have anyone with her, and didn't have a truck either. What she had was a mountain bike with a trailer attached to it. So we loaded up this 15 foot sectional into her cart and she pedaled off down the street with this thing behind her. I hate to think of how much traffic she held up going down Clark in rush hour.

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

...and the following year, that girl won the bronze medal for the East Germans in the 1988 olympics. Upon receiving her medal, she cracked a walnut between her legs. True story.

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

My wife is a huge fan of maps. Something framed and vintage covering Freiburg or the Black Forest region would be something I'd pay many dollars for.

Any ideas on the signature of my piece? I can't read it at all.

15. wcl

wcl Well-Known Member

Hit one of my honey holes today...... :slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My first Tom Ford!! No pants to be found, but I am sure it will flip just fine.

Also....Faconnable, VV, Marinella, Unknown braces and bow.
    [​IMG]

And new Santoni Loafers....
    [​IMG]

Modest, I know next to DM7's haulage, but fine with me. :D Everything is headed for the bay, as I am officially unemployed at the moment. :fu:

16. jcb9

jcb9 Well-Known Member

Lunch thrift. Picked up a navy BB silk-linen-wool sportscoat made in Italy.

17. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

I got mine at

http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/

They make "replicas" of the big name clubs and sell them much cheaper. I don't play much so I just wanted a cheap but decent complete set.

18. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Found a pair of made-in-USA JBL 4800 three-way speakers for $25 at SA. Unfortunately, couldn't test them because SA doesn't have an amp for sale today (arghh). Could grab an amp from the crib and go back, but would be a hassle, seeing as my car's in the shop, which would mean riding the scooter down to the wife's law firm and grabbing her car (can't carry an amp on the bike).

Is it worth it? How much better might these be than my Technics 12-inch woofer three-ways? Anyone know? They do look awfully nice...

Plus side, scored a pair of Alden bluchers with flawless uppers and thick soles. My second pair of Aldens found in the wild. They fit on the bike.

19. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, nice. I actually find myself going a lot faster than traffic most of the time, as I'm able to bob and weave through it. :D

20. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.