1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Well-Known Member

:mad:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

You know, I looked at that back when you first posted it, intending to keep it in mind/consider bidding on it. Looked at it again last night when it was at $200 or so, and immediately went
    [​IMG]

Jeez man. Congrats on cleaning up on that one.

3. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Well-Known Member

Spoo, you are a decent dude and great seller from whom I've bought several items. And quite frankly you the only person on SF that I consider worth imitating, style wise. And I try to.

But for the love of Cthulu you sell some motherfucking gaudy shit. Good on you and all that, but I shudder to think of who wears that stuff.

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

BALLIN

[​IMG]

5. 951socal

951socal Well-Known Member

no not at all, bought used, used to death/worn to death, kept wearing them to the point where family members comment on shirt. then buttons salvaged for cheap shirts like holliester, then cut up so i can save money on cleaning supplies for gun. every part of the shirt is used :happy:

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

It's freaking awesome, is what it is. Available? Size?

This. All of it. + many.

While I've got Spoo's attention:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do as you please. But I bought a Brioni shirt and later found it had a similar issue at the shoulder: The fabric was sufficiently delicate that the fabric at the point where it tucked under into the hem at the shoulder had failed. As I've said before, even thrifted stuff around here can run you cash, so I figured I was cooked. But I unloaded it way faster than some other stuff I've had lingering around that I figured would get snapped up quick. The Oxi method will (should) get those stains out. And someone will buy/trade for the shirt, even imperfect.

7. 46n2

46n2 Well-Known Member

Back from HI. I found some great stuff out on O'ahu ! Namely- 3 Brioni shirts (2of 3 fit me perfectly) (1 Available), 1 pair Brioni pants (fit me perfectly), 2 Charvet shirts (fits me perfectly), 1 Hermes shirt (fits me perfectly), and some Spoo verified Versace jeans. THX Spoo ! (Available).

[​IMG]

Then, 3 days later, I was in Seattle. I found a Canali for Bloomies wool topcoat. (Available) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A nice pair of Canali 1/4 brogues. (Available)
    [​IMG]
    ---> And....a KI to tha TON !
    [​IMG]
    <----Stoked ! Perfect shape. It's my size except the sleeves are just 1/4 inch or so too long. Will a shop that sells Kiton be able to alter the sleeves? Or can I trust the shirt with my local dry cleaner/tailor??

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Coogi has or at least had some proprietary knitting technology that gave the sweaters that crazy look... I actually have one that is more subdued and purchased some time ago when I lived in Australia. I'm not sure there stuff was made in Italy but always thought being an Australian brand it was made domestically, tho' I certainly could be wrong. Some of the old stuff was nice and not all of it was that kaleidoscopic, crazy Cosby stuff. It's become a caricature of itself as a "street wear" brand.

BAPE, a semi-acronym for "a bathing ape" or "bathing an ape in lukewarm water".. the etymology of which refers to a Japanese idiom about certain parents raising spoiled, fuck-all Japanese teens (however, the description is somewhat incorrect as cited on Wiki) Having lived in Taiwan for a while the brand is ubiquitous in parts of Asia... particularly TW, HK and obviously Japan. NIGO, the creator and founder is somewhat of an enigma and has blown up what started as a simple t-shirt company into a full-on clothing, lifestyle and products company and has recently branched out into more formal tailored clothing and menswear. He actually dresses pretty well from what I've seen of him. I think they have a shop in NYC now. anyway... thrift on!

9. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Baller Status achieved! :slayer:
    Wow! Maybe I should tell the wife it's time to take that Hawaii vacation she's always wanted.:wow: Those shirts are amazing and those shoes.....wow.....

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Nice haul! IMO spend a few more bucks and go to a real tailor who does his own M2M/Bespoke tailoring...unless your dry cleaner/tailor has the ability and know how to create a shirt from scratch I wouldnt trust that they know how to alter the sleeves correctly eaither. Will cost a few dollars more but well worth it....just my 2 cents. I'd pay twice as much to have it done right and not f that shirt up.

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

+1 to all the :worship: Those shoes available and in the 10.5-11 range?

EDIT

Can one of the more knowledgeable guys set me straight about something: When I find some high-end ties, some of them have a tiny pin where the two folds come together at the back of the blade. Normally I remove these. But in a Bijan I got recently in a trade ( :slayer: ), the pin seemed integrated into the fabric, and I got the distinct impression I wasn't supposed to remove it. I thought the "leaves" of the tie had to float free, otherwise it would screw up your knot. Have I been doing it wrong by taking these pins out? Please :teach:

12. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Well-Known Member

Past few few weeks, been super busy, no time to post pics.

Brooks sports coat fits PERFECTLY.
    Only shirts are available.

J. Press is tagged at 15.5/33, has a small stain on chest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Greg613

Greg613 Well-Known Member

A big thank you to Workthatwedo for leaving this great silk Samualsohn coat for me. :slayer:

FYI, they also had out a Zegna and Hicky Freeman orphans (couldn't find the pants) and a moth eaten Aquascutum.

Excuse the lousy photography, I am no Dig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 46n2

46n2 Well-Known Member

You're right. That's what I was thinking too. Thx !

Thx ! The Canali shoes are 43 1/2.

15. 46n2

46n2 Well-Known Member

Thx ! You should do it ! If you go, LMK, and I will tell you where

16. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

I wipe my ass with $100 bills

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

18. catside

catside Well-Known Member

Fits very nicely.