1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I have gotten to the point where my travels have been distilled to: NEW THRIFT STORES TO SHOP.

I had a conversation with the actor/comedian Matt Walsh about this when we were at Bumbershoot: it's a particular kind of person whose first thought upon visiting a new city is, "where are the thrifts?"

Goddam if I havent started doing the same thing! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

^Yeah, I do that. I'll be visiting the in-laws at New Years, and my wife and I are really looking forward to hitting the thrifts there.

3. mike540

mike540 Well-Known Member

^ lol! I'm going to be in Anaheim next month for a few days and have already located 1/2 a dozen thrift shops in the area. [​IMG]
    As far a finds go, I picked up a recent, light gray Canali suit at Value Village for $25 on thursday. Pants have a small issue near the cuff but even if the tailor says she can't fix it I think I can live with it or just wear the jacket.

4. stevp1

stevp1 Member

Ok, here's my score...

The suit is Aquascutum lic for Patrick James. I've seen Aquascutum for jackets and things but not that many suits. there is 1 tiny flaw on the sleeve that I honestly didn't see until I took the pics. The suit was 8 dollars. Where does this suit stand as far as quality? I believe, from my own pinch test, that it is half-canvassed, but I could be wrong.

The shoes are Kenneth Cole NY, and they were 9 bucks. excellent condition.

How'd I do?

edit:not sure I embedded the pics right. I'm still trying to figure this out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Got a couple of nos peccary gloves at a vintage store for under $20 each. [​IMG] Brown is hand stitched and very soft. Grey is thicker, tougher and machine stitched.

6. stevp1

stevp1 Member

nice score. The brown ones look cool.

7. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

Commiserate with me on a spectacular near find today.

I was scanning the racks when my eyes came across the word 'Brioni' on a hanger. Of course, that doesn't mean anything necessarily as suits get put on whatever hanger they have around. Still, one's heart flutters as Brioni anything is few and far between. The suit: a navy double breasted with bold pinstripes--gorgeous. Sure enough, it was a Brioni.

So I begin giving it the once over, some minor issues, missing button, separation on a seam on the trousers. Fixable. Some shine to the seat, but would be covered by the jacket anyway. I try on the jacket, pretty close. So off I go figuring the issues are either fixable or tolerable. As I'm waiting for the check out girl to come over I notice the deal breaker: some sort of odd wear/fading on the shoulders. I decided that pushed things too far, so back it went to the rack and I went out the door empty handed and heavy of heart. [​IMG]

Ah, thrifting...

I bought this suit the other week, I figured it was worth taking a flyer on just for the Brioni hanger. I'm going to get it dry cleaned, I don't think it's wear on the shoulder, just some sort of dust. We will see how that goes... I'm mildly optimistic.

8. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

The shoes are Kenneth Cole NY, and they were 9 bucks. excellent condition.

You overpaid by about $20.

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

The Shelter shop in Fversham has almost a dozen new Zegma suits still with labels attached. They look like they've come from a tailor closing down or possibly non-colllecte alterations (several have the white stitching on them). I even found a 44 jacket, but the 44 waist trousers with a 28" inside leg meant they weren't even a possibility... Short obese men could have a great bargain...

10. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

The thrifts were really good to me today: I found some more street-wear oriented stuff where I listed the pics in the Recent Purchases section of the SW&D section. NWT Oliver Spencer Seersucker shirt $18 NWOT Umii 908 denim jacket $8 Artificial Flavor Jacket-shirt-thing $2.95 Men's clothing stuff: I came upon two Oxxford suit-jackets on the suit rack. Went to look for the pants and lo and behold, there they were, both hung next to each other on the trouser rack. I told the cashier they are a suit and that they were priced seperately, so instead of $14 for both, she charged me the set price for suits, $10.95. [​IMG] I've never seen this on anything else Oxxford that I've run across. Collector's Item? [​IMG] [​IMG] - Polo RL "Made in Italy" 3 btn sportcoat [​IMG] - A recent Zegna Tie - Lavender Thomas Pink Shirt - Theory french-cuff shirt ( for $2, it'll make a great casual shirt).

11. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

^The 'Collector's Item' thing is pretty funny. Good haul.

I bought this suit the other week, I figured it was worth taking a flyer on just for the Brioni hanger. I'm going to get it dry cleaned, I don't think it's wear on the shoulder, just some sort of dust. We will see how that goes... I'm mildly optimistic.

I hope it works for you. I think the other things can be easily fixed. Did they let you take the hanger? I've had poor success talking them into that.

12. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

^The 'Collector's Item' thing is pretty funny. Good haul. I hope it works for you. I think the other things can be easily fixed. Did they let you take the hanger? I've had poor success talking them into that.
    RE: Collector's item, I think it was just a model of Oxxford suit. I have seen numerous ones with that label, and none of them were especially collectible. RE: taking the hanger, if I really want it, it usually comes down to begging. Just so happened that when I picked that suit up, the girl at the counter knew me (I go there enough) so she let me have it by pointing out it went with the suit. They employees at that store don't care, it's just that they can get in trouble with their managers if they get caught letting people walk out with hangers. Which is funny, because some shops literally beg me to take the hangers when I buy suits.

13. modernaRRL

modernaRRL Member

i dont have much luck at thrift stores but i once picked up a j. lindeberg track jacket for $10 USD

14. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

found a size XL Burberry linen casual shirt - buttons down the front -- in the dreaded Novacheck (chav alert!). not sure what to think... guess I'll flip it.

15. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

found a size XL Burberry linen casual shirt - buttons down the front -- in the dreaded Novacheck (chav alert!). not sure what to think... guess I'll flip it.

I'd take it...call me chav.

16. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

^^^^Nice find on the Oxxford. Too bad my thrifting is not as successful.

17. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^ Keep at it. This was my first half-way decent find in months. Though they are not my particular style and are to be flipped, they shall fund more clothing purchases. Most likely the after-Christmas sales...

18. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

In Miami visiting the in-laws for Christmas. Snuck out for a trip to the Goodwill. Not much in the way of clothes, just a Belvest houndstooth sportjacket. But as I was looking at clothes, I saw a guitar up on a shelf. As I was walking over to it, some other guy got there just ahead of me and grabbed it. A Martin D28 accoustic. A little roughed up, but clearly a good candidate for repair/refinishing, and for only $25! I think it was quite old as well. That guy just made at least $1000, possibly much more depending on the actual vintage. It would have been mine had I not gone to look at the shoes first ... too bad there were nothing but KC Reactions and Alfanis ... what a waste. [​IMG]

19. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^ I absolutely HATE when you see what you've missed out on, how much it was and who got it! I'd much rather not even know about it.....it's easier to take that way.

It's also very tough when you've got multiple hobbies that a thrift can cater to. For myself, I'm also into vinyl (records) and stereo equipment. I try to prioritize in my head which department I'll go to first. In some cases, I miss out on something good, and on others it works great.

20. Volsgradstudent

Volsgradstudent Well-Known Member

After reading this thread and the thrifting advice thread, I was inspired to make my first visit to a thrift store today. I'M HOOKED!

At first, I was pretty disappointed. Everything looked like crap. None of the shirts, pants, suits, or jackets were separated by size or color or anything. The shoes they had were horrible, the ties even worse. Instead of giving up, I wandered around for a few minutes, then dove in.

I found a Hugo Boss Einstein jacket with the pockets unopened. And a brown Hugo Boss sportcoat, also with unopened pockets. Both look brand new, never worn.

And then I found the jacket that's got me hooked. It's an Ermenegildo Zegna Su Misura made for a guy in Memphis in September 2005. His name and the date are on a tag in the right interior pocket. Trofeo fabric, pick stitching, working cuff buttons, absolutely gorgeous! It looks like it's never been worn, and the fabric is beautiful.

The Goodwill store I went to prices all sportcoats the same -- $10.

But today everything in the store was 50% off.

Each of these fantastic jackets was $5 EACH!

I also got a Pronto Uomo shirt for $3 and a Joseph Abboud Egyptian Cotton shirt for $3.

SCORE!

Of course, my beginners luck didn't hold. I stopped by another thrift store on the way home and their selection was horrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.