1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBTX66

EBTX66 Well-Known Member

Then I'd end up either having someone put in a bid and not bother to ever show up to close or I'd have to try and figure out a way to ship it to Russia - and then the guy would decline to pay because he'd claim the house never arrived.

And prices are dropping even though the job market is strong. The absolute glut of empty suburban tract houses has really skewered the market downward.

That's the big problem here: houses are TOO cheap. Out where you guys live I know many people got in over their head but I can imagine that most buyers still had to have their defecation in sequence in order to gather enough coin to buy a house. Down here you could get a brand new 4/2 for $80k. Kids right out of high school working at Autozone could buy one of those. As soon as they got bored they walked away and the house became a rental. That, in turn, immediately started nuking the neighborhood. With only a few exceptions most of the suburban neighborhoods around here have a 10-15 year life span. Driving outward from town is like driving throught the rings of a tree: only the outermost layer is pristine; every few blocks back towards the center of town the neighborhoods get progressively more craptastic.

Please, let's NOT play that game: I would by default be the micro-dick.:lol:

I figured the prices would make the guys on the coasts faint. The really sad part is that a developer bought the 5 houses across the street from me (they are creek-side lots) and he tore them down to put in a bunch of 500k townhouses.That won't help me because he's delayed construction until the Fall. I'm also starting to see other teardowns in the neighborhood and the ones that are left are getting huge additions/upgrades. It seems we are behind the trend and just now discovering modern, ranch style homes (when I bough in '02 I got a screaming deal because the hip thing was pier and beam bungalos and craftsmans). That all adds up to the fact that if I could just hold out 1-2 more years I'd be sitting on a goldmine. Instead, seriously, I'll probably have to come down on that price just to sell it. Oh, well, duty calls.

Now I'm depressed. I wish there were thrift stores open late. I could use a fix...

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

Wheres DM7 and Valium?

Mainy, congrats on the shoes!

3. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Well-Known Member

Throw yo W's up!

4. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

5. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

^ can i get a suuuuuuuuu ? represent

6. valium

valium Well-Known Member

i bought this shirt today and now i have a 4 hour erection that wont subside

[​IMG]

7. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

damnit! missed my chance for a wu-tang contribution

1 person likes this.
  8. valium

valium Well-Known Member

so white....

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Gentledudes: Quick trip today. Picked up just 3 items: A summery, relatively unstructured baby blue Oxxford blazer in a 41R/L (available; I'm looking at you, Grendel). Good condition, real horn buttons, yadda yadda.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] p2p: 20.5 shoulder: 16.75 length: 31.75 arm: 25
    Also a pair of vintage PRL trousers, USA made with split waistband, double reverse pleats, logo buttons, etc. Seems pretty high quality -- I daresay on a par with their Italian stuff these days (though the wool is less refined). Unfortunately, they're also ....
    [ LOUD AS HELL! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Waist: 38 Inseam: 30 Outseam: 41 Even so, assume they're NOT available; will either keep them or will trade with someone here I owe bigtime. (HEY! Note the finger nails. Trim and slim.)
    Finally, this guy for little more than a tenner:
    [​IMG] Is it geeky that I now have one of these in my office? Sure. But that ship sailed a loooooong time ago. One condition issue: The black buffer is worn through in spots and shot some felt at me when I pressed one of my shoes too hard. I suspect it's going to wear out soon. I haven't done any due diligence before asking this question, but does anyone know offhand whether these are replaceable and, if so, where I can get (cheap) replacements?
    Just to add a little :spam: to the mix: This brings to 2 the number of Oxxford jackets I have in the 40-41ish size range: one dark gray herringbone (technically an orphan, but very doable as a SC) and now this one. Tradesies, brosephs. Tradesies....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  10. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Haha... If it were royal blue cotton / silk / linen I'd be banging down your door... other than that I've gotta stop buying things.

11. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

no you're white?

12. valium

valium Well-Known Member

very

13. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Picked up a few things today... Not usually a Hugo Boss guy but this looked pretty recent (I could be totally off) and the RLPL I left behind last week was 50% off this week so had to pick it up even with all its defects (wear and holes).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As I was walking though the womens section to get to the register (I dont look in womens usually like some of you guys) I spotted this weird looking thing out of the corner of my eye.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Robert Graham = easy money, good score. Ralph Lauren Purple Label SC = :slayer:, a few holes here and there adds to its charm. Perhaps not, should still be easy to sell or trade though. Hugo Boss SC = not bad really, looks nice. I would wear that.

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

What! Dot damn, I sleep on the this thread for 24 hours, and miss all the fun stuff.

tl;dp:

acosbysweater/future me, thanks for looking out from the rafters. B&S/Thrift pic x Simon costume forthcoming. :D

noobizor indeed flipped his shit over Annie D in a thrift. :wow:

Jil boots....that's just...sniff!...sigh :(

+1 on the the streetwear recs. But you don't *have* to go the denim route, if it's not your thing. I don't. Check out snowman's fits for an inspiring denim to space pirate transformation.

Oh: Common Projects and other fancy shooz are definitely worth checking out, especially if you're looking at Converse type brands. Let's face it, Converse are poorly made and uncomfortable. Especially if you'r over thirty! (fencing jpg)

Nylon/tech pants/jackets/etc are also well-worth looking into, esp because they gel w/ an MC aesthetic. Isaora is cool and reasonably priced and you can been had ervell for cheep on B&S.

Special shout-out to JChance, who sold me some kick-ass khaki pants.

Found a crap pair of some ny brand women's shoes I can't even remember right now. Want to say Tom Ford, but that sounds too jaw-dropping....hrm.

My only exciting find lives on in my sig :teach:

Gentlemen.....

16. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Last two days only netted a recent Burberry London suit and some Looney Tunes poster that a quick ebay check determined should net around $100. I can live with that though :nodding:

Saw two other kids going through, looked like flippers too. Picking up lots of crappy shirts. Best thing I saw on the run was some low level BB stuff that I didn't bother with... too much inventory at the moment. Buying is fun, selling I get lazy.

17. mat135ta

mat135ta Well-Known Member

Here are a few items that I got a while ago, most of them are available.

Luciano Barberra pants, EU54, waist 38".
    [​IMG]

Zegna suit for Carroll & Co., EU52R, made in Feb. 2010.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isaia suit, mainline, super 110's, EU54L.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna Su Misura, tagged EU54R.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malo shirt for women, tagged EU46.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mat135ta

mat135ta Well-Known Member

Today I visited two stores, one of which was probably visited by Darkmatter7 yesterday. I still managed to get a pair of EG and a pair of Ann Demeulemeester along with some other stuff. In the other store, I saw 6 Anthony J. Hewitt Savile Row suits that are only 2 years younger than I am - to be exact, one orphan tux jacket, one orphan pinstripe jacket, two suits with severely damaged pants, and two suits in relatively good condition. I bought three suits and left the other three.

Ann D. - NOT available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edward Green, my size, but with a hole on the left shoe near the toe area. What can I do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Borrelli, T&A shirts in my size and a Fendi tie.
    [​IMG]

Trillion house brand pants in 140's wool, my size. Made by Belvest?
    [​IMG]

Hewitt suits, almost my size. I will have them slimmed down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, can any one tell me what these are for? Made by Minton, probably in 1851, according to the marks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Well-Known Member

Here's a summary of tomorrow morning's posts:

1. LA is thrifting Mecca

Quote: Planning a trip to LA
    3. [​IMG]

Quote:
    [​IMG]

Also, prepare for the PM's....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  20. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with a scene from Lampoons' European Holiday where Clark Griswold is brushing his teeth in their European 'relations' house?
    What you have there is called a chamber pot.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.