1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

This is not a thrift find [​IMG]...but I'm bragging as it was discount on ebay and my size which is close to impossible to find (not as impossible as it use to be thanks to all of you guys!!! [​IMG], but still hard). Scooped these all up on ebay for $$$ (more then I would like to spend, but they appear to be quality items in good condition in my size). I was pretty sure the "XXXX" in the two pair of Zegna (made my Incotex) where the high quality couture line, correct me if I'm wrong and they look pretty recent?

ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA Cloud Cotton Pants Size 30 R
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA Wool Dress Pants Size 30 R
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

INCOTEX Super 130'S Flat Front Pants (Made in Italy[​IMG])

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ISAIA NAPOLI Flat Front Pants Size It 46
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Duffle Coat for J. Crew. I assumed it was by Gloverall, but there is no Gloverall label, so I am only 99% sure. Based on quality of construction alone, there is little doubt.

Size Large.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

Please tell me there are no juggalos here...

4. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Well-Known Member

I will fight catside for them. And by Zeus i will win!

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Been had some 12-13D's of the same?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. Simontuntelder

Simontuntelder Well-Known Member

Aarhus/Copenhagen/Herning/Sindal - Denmark

Hicks & Sons used to have an address on Saville Row - at least sometime around the 40's and early 50's.

I know this because I once found like 15 suits and smokings from H&S and they all belonged to a Danish consulate, who happened to end up in London because he had went to England on holiday just before the war started (WWII) and he had to stay there for quite some time because he didn't want to return to Denmark, which was occupied by the Germans.

His name was in all the suits and I did a background check on him. He had died a couple of months earlier and there were mentions of him in some of the bigger news papers in Denmark.

I never bought any of the suits. I sort of hoped, that someone would buy them and truly appreciate the old-world tailoring craftsmanship.

7. capnwes

All I've got even close. 13 A/AAA Hanover Sheppard Signatures Pebble Brown.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. catside

catside Well-Known Member

:slapfight:

9. AndroFan

Damn. Definitely too narrow (I've got some B's that juuuuuust barely work slash don't really work but I refuse to let them go because they're my only pair of shell). Shame, I really like them....if you see others in C-D range, please kop.

10. capnwes

No problem, I always kop the Hanovers in decent shape. They sit on the thrift shelves around here forever otherwise....I guess everyone is so used to seeing them. Anyway the quality is usually very good. Its a shame they went down in the 80s. You can tell the folks who made them cared about what they were doing.

11. vexco

vexco Well-Known Member

Nothing much today...had a pair of Allen Edmonds "Stanton" in my hands and this older guy was looking at shoes...so I gave them to him. They were practically new so hopefully I can get some karma off that.

Otherwise, just a pair of black J. Press herringbone pants. Flat-front, size 38x32. 1.5" cuffs, 44" outseam.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Available pretty much at cost+shipping if anyone's interested.

12. AndroFan

Yeah, I've handled a few pair that weren't my size and they definitely seem like decent quality shoes.

13. Brianpore

IDK what size Digmenow is, but I know he's going to be looking for black everything!

14. Patrologia

Patrologia Well-Known Member

I dont' think it has been recognized yet, but, I been had 10.5 E. Right?

15. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Well-Known Member

Speaking of cool art finds, my girlfriend's mom was picking through some of her parents' stuff as they prepared for a garage sale. She picked out a huge (6X6 ft I'd guess) painting and bought it from them - she's a recreational painter and canvasses that big are hard to come by. She decided to hold on to it and hung it up in a hallway, where someone commented on it saying they thought it might be worth some money. Apparently it's a work by noted Southern painter and former Rhodes College professor Mary Sims, a local art dealer appraised it at 10 grand!

16. capnwes

I read the post, but was so involved in the first sentence I completely forgot to read the second and respond. You guys will be the first to know whenever I find anything.

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

[​IMG]

18. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

The internets is a powerful thing:

Detail Information

RN Type: RN
    RN Number: 55937
    Legal Name: WHALING MFG CO INC
    Company Name: WHALING MFG CO INC
    Business Type: UNKNOWN
    Address Line 1: 387 QUARRY ST
    City: FALL RIVER
    State Code: MA
    Zip: 02723
    Product Line:

19. Brianpore

Mr. Smith in the thrift thread [​IMG]

20. TheWGP

TheWGP Well-Known Member

today was.. interesting.

first up, this w&g shirt. ripped through the coats to no avail... and in the back I see a sign up that says STORE: WINTER COATS (MENS & WOMENS) :fu:

[​IMG]

that ripping through DID yield this Bogner ski jacket, though... I picked it up based on its looking like quality - ebay mobile wasn't giving me very relevant results. it's a men's 44. I think I've seen someone mention these before, though, so I went ahead and picked it up - did I do good? ^^;;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

but then, while I was ripping through the light jackets (which have hoodies mixed in) I find the SUPER BALLING EPIC AWESOME RAREST THING I'VE SEEN IN AWHILE:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember, kids, THE CAKE IS A LIE! That's a Portal 2 Test Subject hoodie from Thinkgeek, seen here for 60 bucks from them:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/exclusives/e5a2/

Okay, so maybe my inner geek is coming out a bit... :lol: my wife already told me she thinks I'm nuts over it, which is probably a good sign ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.