• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...Also ended up with some BNIB Pottery Barn Shelves and Towel Bars. At 3 bucks a piece, I figured it wouldn't hurt to pick them up although I don't need them.

I have a house full of "I figured it wouldn't hurt"!

From The Baltimore Sun:
Bernard Hill to close after reorganization effort fails
Two clothing stores left in 5-store chain
November 17, 1990|By Cindy Harper-Evans
A 1985 file photo in Saturday's Business Section may have given the impression that Stephen L. Snyder, a Baltimore lawyer, was still involved with Bernard Hill Inc., the Elkridge-based clothier that is going out of business. According to Mr. Snyder, he has not been affiliated with the company in any capacity since 1986.
Elkridge-based Bernard Hill Inc., the upscale European men's clothing store chain founded by South African-born Hilly Greenstein 13 years ago in Baltimore, has failed in a year-long reorganization attempt and will close.

Thanks! You'd think I would remember the chain, having lived here most of my adult life! I'm on it now, though.
Bernard Hill's large flagship store in Hopkins Plaza and its Washington location -- the only stores left in what was once a five-store chain -- are expected to be closed by the end of the Christmas season, the retailer's assigned trustee, Terry Musika of C. W. Amos & Co., said yesterday.

Bernard Hill is now in the midst of a going-out-of business sale and its $2,000 Brioni suits, $1,200 Jeff Hamilton leather coats and other high-priced merchandise is marked down from 50 percent to 80 percent.

Several shoppers rummaged through Bernard Hill's Baltimore store yesterday looking for Christmas bargains or additions to their business wardrobe.

"Hopefully, the Christmas season will enable a lot of this merchandise to get out of the store quickly," a salesman there said.
The retailer filed for Chapter 11 in October 1989 after a lightning-quick expansion left it overextended and financially weak while most other men's apparel chains were prospering.

Joel Kaswell, the lawyer who at tempted to craft a reorganization plan for Bernard Hill, said the plan failed because the downturn in the economy -- particularly for retailers -- took away the capital Bernard Hill needed to work the plan.

"We were planning to pay 10 cents on the dollar to creditors immediately or 35 cents on the dollar over seven years but the dramatic downturn in the retail environment in September made it not feasible," Mr. Kaswell said.

Three of Bernard Hill's largest unsecured creditors are First National Bank of Maryland, North Carolina National Bank and Signet Leasing and Financial in Baltimore. Combined, they are owed about $3 million.

Mr. Kaswell said the realization of Bernard Hill's demise came as a "severe blow" to Mr. Greenstein, who named the classic men's clothing chain after a shortened version of his own first name and the name of his best friend in South Africa.

Mr. Greenstein, who is in his 50s, could not be reached yesterday, but Mr. Kaswell said the founder is still living outside Baltimore and has not decided what line of business he will pursue next.

"His was the American success story" of today, Mr. Kaswell said. "Hilly came to America with very little money from South Africa, he built a good company and he filed for bankruptcy."

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Went out to one of my 'honeypots' on a whim, ended up with:

APC New Standards (30)
and BoO 'This is Not a Polo Shirt." Polo.

Ex4Cq.jpg

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems I only post in this thread when I find something awesome. SO instead, here are pics of average finds from today:

1. canali wool/silk cashmere polo sweater
2. lacoste classic fit shirt
3. loro piana b/d shirt
4. canali b/d linen shirt
5. robert graham shirt
6. barbour tattersall shirt

1. hiltl flax flat front pants
2. zanella tan double pleat
3. incotex for facconable s. 100's flannel
4. zanella flat front

1. vintage 60's ll bean wool hunting pants
2. bills m2p
3. rm williams moleskin jeancut pants
4. bills flat front

vintage ll bean maine hunting boots. $2. lol

1. charvet
2. bottega veneta

total stores hit: 9 or 10
total $ spent: $48

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainy....what size are the Bean boots (if you are not planning keeping them)?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your "average finds" are my "best of the month." I hate you, sir.

(but seriously, what's the size on that blue checks Canali and the LP?)

(Edit: Also, the incotex for Facconable?)

It seems I only post in this thread when I find something awesome. SO instead, here are pics of average finds from today:

3. loro piana b/d shirt
5. robert graham shirt

4. zanella flat front

2. bills m2p
4. bills flat front

1. charvet
2. bottega veneta

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3. loro piana b/d shirt
5. robert graham shirt

4. zanella flat front

2. bills m2p
4. bills flat front

1. charvet
2. bottega veneta

What size are those Incotex? The fabric looks awesome.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Okay, first, you need a flash that's not built into your camera. I have two of the Vivitar 285HV that are pretty cheap (under $100) but very manual... Manual is okay if you're going to set it up once and re-use it over and over. 

Things to know:
- You don't want to point your flash at the things you're photographing, because the lighting will be harsh and throw hard shadows directly behind it. 
- The smaller and closer the light source to the subject the harder the light and shadows
- Assuming you want soft light and shadows, you need to have a bigger light source farther from the subject

The way to do this is to point the flash AWAY from the subject and light up a whole white wall or the ceiling. Here's a quick tutorial:

http://diyphotography.net/four_ways_to_bounce_a_flash

I should probably break out my real camera and stop using my phone for my eBay pics :confused:

Thanks for the advice!

I think I will pass for now, need to save for another suit here on SF :paranoia:
That would fit me as well, and I am a 42L :eh: I always thought you were a 38 for some reason...

*sigh* More a 40 now.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crap, now I'll never snipe anything good on B/S, spoo has that place on lockdown for the awesome deals :laugh:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Spoo, get your fat ass to the gym...I'm a 42L and you're encroaching on my territory.

Crap, now I'll never snipe anything good on B/S, spoo has that place on lockdown for the awesome deals
laugh.gif

flambard

Reaction score
Rummaging about the local thrift shop. Reflecting society, all the sizes are so large and the clothes are crap. Then I spotted the sleeve of what could be a nice sweater. Pulled it off the rack to have a better look. Size, 'Small'. perfect! Label: Barney's. Condition: perfect.

The perfect thrift shop price: $8.50

Wow.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of nice Tino Cosma ties today and a pristine pair of Valentino khakis. I passed on a vintage 100% cashmere jacket from St Michael. Should I have grabbed that? Don't know much about that brand myself.

Raz

Reaction score
St Michael was a brand that was owned and used by Marks & Spencer from 1928 until 2000.

In 2000, Marks & Spencer dropped the St Michael brand, and replacing it with the Marks & Spencer brand. The St Michael name was subsequently adopted as a 'quality guarantee'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads