1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

+1. Someone had to say it. I pass over at least 3 Christian Dior Monsieur ties each time I go out (generally 1-2 per store on average). I was amazed when someone posted their Dior Homme suit a few days ago. That was worth bragging about, not a polyester blend Dior Monsieur tie from 1982.

2. Everett464

Everett464 Well-Known Member

I can dig it. Really, I was taking umbrage with the notion that there are no articles of clothing, which don't cost more than most of us make in a week, that are worth bragging about when found in a thrift store. If you find a pair of AEs for ten bucks, and they are serviceable it is a good day - I am guessing that is why the thread was created in the first place, not just for the "one in a bajillion" chance that you find a runway YSL article.

If you are making $60K, and you only pick up runway runway YSL or Dior Homme at thrift stores, the odds that your wardrobe sucks are high.

3. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    A few shirts:

RLPL, RLPL, RLPL

[​IMG]

Duchamp; Daks by Timothy Everest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Ties:

Kiton, unknown (Do these tags look familiar?), Kiton

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^ :worship:

I want that RLPL keaton collar shirt! :drool:

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd Well-Known Member

3 Brooks Brothers no iron dress shirts ... goodwill ... $3 a piece .. MINT ..

6. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

i think the other dude's "every other piece in this thread is crap" was actually referring to the low quality YSL/Dior stuff found in this thread. i don't think he was implying that all the brioni/kiton/RLPL/etc stuff in this thread are absolute crap. he was only talking within the context of YSL/Dior.

7. lastdonb

lastdonb Well-Known Member

The AE Arlilngtons as I said earlier, are a great shoe. Bought a pair new in 1989, in that burgundy. Looks sharp.

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

xenos has become one of the most consistent posters here.

I bought some amazing shirts from him, you should all buy stuff from him!

9. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

+1. I think he's moving up on becoming the new Pejsek. I think they live in the same general area too. Not sure where Pejsek went. He kinda fell off the map.

Wait.....what?

I'm more focused on quality. I picked up a motherlode of suits a month or so back. All very recent, side vented pieces in desirable colors/patterns. They were custom made for a local upper-end men's clotheir and were made by Adrian Jules in Rochester, NY. Not a well-known name at all. Even on SF, I'm guessing only a small handful of members know about AJ. There is a ton of handwork. Lots of nice details and they are overall very well-made pieces. Honestly, in 10 years of thrifting, I've never found YSL Rive Gauche or Dior Homme. I have picked up a lot of nice pieces from Isaia, Brioni, Oxxford, Borrelli, etc as well. Does my wardrobe suck?

I buy lower end stuff too. I buy REI and Patagonia S/S button downs for my summer wear, but don't bother cluttering the thread with it. I know people don't really care. This stuff is common. Why brag?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  10. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of Corneliani pants in dark navy double pleated - tag sized 36 pretty long inseam as well.

Does Goodwill usually adjust prices if you find tears in suit linings? They want $50 for a Southwick suit that has tears in the armpit lining.

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

FYI: the YoungAmerican/Everett/Nataku sub-thread is now three people deep into the "i mis-read your post and am now responding to it" steez.

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Decent stuff, though nothing mindblowing:

[​IMG]

Armani Collezioni (normally skip it, but this one has a really unique pattern and was super soft and my size), Brandolini (never heard of it but I like the pattern, it fits me, and it seems really nice), J. Press (never seen a J. Press shirt before)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Norman Hilton 3/2 sack tweed

[​IMG][​IMG]

Obviously not clothes, but I was really excited about this..."Piel" naked leather duffel bag. Ridiculously soft, roomy, really cool. Looks like they retail for ~$185...a far cry from the $9.74 I paid for it (http://www.amazon.com/Piel-Leather-Large-Duffel-Bag/dp/B000AS2EPQ), and this one is in excellent condition aside from the few scratches visible there on the side. Love this thing.

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

I was able to profit from the aforementioned find. :D

I have dealt with Nataku several times, and met up several times, he is great to trade/buy from!

I have seen a picture of his finds, his closet is loaded with top notch items! I am quite jealous actually :embar:

Speaking of which, you should post the pic of the recent finds!

14. TheWGP

TheWGP Well-Known Member

+1 - he's sent me some awesome shirts as well! Great stuff, great seller!

15. vexco

vexco Well-Known Member

Haven't had much time lately but stopped into a couple today:

Oxxford SC from same donor as others...this makes 7 total Oxxford's thrifted within the week.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

top to bottom: Pendleton(size L), Pendleton(size L), Thomas Pink french cuff(17 1/2 - 44), Zanella(40x30 1.75" cuff, double pleat), Zanella(40x30 1.75" cuff, double pleat), Bill's Khakis(34x32, flat front M2's), both ties are Zegna.

Everything is available as, again, I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING TO FIT ME. Trade with me! They also gave me the Oxxford hanger after I offered to buy it...such nice people!

16. Everett464

Everett464 Well-Known Member

Quote: I think we are saying the same thing.

Quote: Fair enough...

I have a buddy who had a glass of Pappy Van Winkle in a bar last year, and now swears all other bourbon is "crap." YoungAmerican's tone reminded me of this guy. I like Pappy, but I drink a ton of Wild Turkey, and if I go to a bar that is serving 10 cent shots of Wild Turkey, I'm gonna brag about it.

17. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Yeah - pretty much. My point (though I wandered a bit off course) is that a little research doesn't hurt. People should look up what the good stuff is. It's not too hard. Don't buy the junk expecting it to be gold. I'm just getting a bit tired of seeing the same old dreck day after day on here. It's enough having to wade through it at the thrifts. :laugh:

18. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd Well-Known Member

price check on that pendleton in red ... PM me

19. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

+1. Andro has been doing very well lately, too. And I say this notwithstanding the fact I just met him today to buy a newer HF charcoal to round out my suit collection (much thanks, btw!) :D

This was probably my biggest lesson on here. Not everything needs to make its way out, especially if you're keeping it. I will say it is nice to see what people pick up, but for trade and purchase purposes. Much easier here than shifting through B&S.

20. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Haha, thanks man! It's quite a beaut - glad to help you fill a gap!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.