1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Well-Known Member

I guess I missed the part where people were posting PAGES and PAGES of Brooks Brothers trad fit shirts.

2. hyakku

hyakku Well-Known Member

People have definitely been talking about flipping way before seven months prior. This thrifting trend isn't happening because of styleforum, the media is doing a great job blowing up the viability of thrifting and hence, more people are getting into it. As for those looking to make money or sell their Pendleton's or whatever, it's going to happen either way. I don't understand why people put it like they can hide their local spots, you just need to get out their early and often if you want to get gems for yourself.

Either way, I'm off this conversation, like I said it comes up every so often, I don't know why I even wasted the time.

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

i too would prefer to trade within this thread (see my signature) rather than sell + buy, but it just doesn't seem like there's any way to do so effectively. i know the ebayers on this board maintain a google doc with blocked buyers on it. would a google spreadsheet called "items i have for trade" with columns for description, color, size, etc help to facilitate thrift-trading? just a thought.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

"You are a sad, sad man."

/Not my words. That's what thread noob Mexecutioner said when I suggested people stop posting small timer stuff

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. hyakku

hyakku Well-Known Member

There used to be a thread called the Thrifter's trading post where people could do just that. Not sure what happened to it though, when I came back a couple of weeks ago after my hiatus I couldn't find it.

6. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

It's still there, but it has been dead for weeks.

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

This was all utterly unnecessary.

8. AndroFan

As far as I can tell, these are made by Harris Tweed. There's no other "branded" label on them at all. I think the general consensus is that if it's got the Harris Tweed patch and uses Harris Tweed fabric, it's going to be a minimum degree of nice. Now, if you find a HT fabric jacket by a very nice maker, sure, that's probably a better bet, but I think all HTs are pretty decent.

9. Pawz

Pawz Well-Known Member

DELETE

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  10. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

+ 1, I am not so interested in buying or selling for that matter if the money involved is serious - this is supposed to be fun, and when something becomes serious, it stops being fun. I am happy to sell for a steal to another member here, help a fellow out who would otherwise spend double or quadruple on eBay. One or two here I have dealt with have a good idea on the spirit of finds, i.e. they find something, you can have it for X % over what I paid if you have nothing to trade. It is nice. But it would hurt this thread if it turned into a left arm of B&S or eBay with people wanting to maximize their profits. Finding, bragging, and trading / exchanging is part of the fun. Finding, bragging, and then saying "I want half of retail for this" detracts from a small time hobby.

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

i just checked, i've been a SF member since Feb. 19, 2005. also, not a noob to thrifting by any means, i just never felt a need to post to this thread until i picked up a pair of near-new PRL suits and wanted to trade them for something in my size (see my signature).

and yes, trying to moderate an open forum is like pissing in the wind.

12. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Are you looking for any particular color or fabric pattern? 42R Right?

13. dongale

dongale Active Member

Hey guys. Wanted some opinions. Found this coat below for $40 (!!!). This store is usually pretty reasonable, but they mark up "high end" items. Not sure this is high end, but it is sweet. It's not part of their sale rotation, so it's always going to be $40. There's light staining around the collar. It's 100% wool, made in Poland (or maybe it was Hungary). Virany brand (never heard of it). It's missing the 3rd button, and part of the lining on one sleeve is coming away. What do you guys think? Shoulders too big? Too pricey?

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. tonylamer

tonylamer Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out hope for a utopian thrifting paradise. A place where I can say, "I need a really cool 40S suit," (which I do), and some 44L'll sell me, at the standard retail mark-up, the RLPL flannel that they just bought for $15 at some Salvation Army.

No one really cares about the flipping; it's just the idea that the everyday guys have amassed all of this amazing stuff at prices that we can afford, and now it's hitting the B&S for 10x the purchase price--prices that we can't afford.

15. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Well-Known Member

And in turn the people paying 10x the purchase price are pleased to be buying at the prices they are paying - I know I have. What's your point....you are jealous? Seriously....I am missing the point.

16. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

I think my radar might be way off on the desirability of Harris Tweeds. Since I'm in a colder climate (Canada) I could literally bag 6-8 HT jackets per thrift. I always leave them thinking that they are just as ubiquitous everywhere else.

Maybe I should start picking more of them up and making them available. My recent one was only purchased because it was way up there on the fit/quality/fabric scale.

17. AndroFan

I personally like them a lot, but I also just like tweed generally. They're definitely higher quality than many of the other tweed jackets I see. I actually like these 2 better than the PRL tweed jacket I have for myself.

18. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

You are a noob to the thread, no? You conveniently cut that part out. I said "thread noob."

19. WRAdviser

WRAdviser Member

LOL looks like I'm in the dumpster of Style Forum.

A buncha cockroaches scurrying when the light turns on.

< Backs away slowly >

20. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Well-Known Member

Now I remember why I stopped posting in SF for the last few months. 500 Pseudo-intellectuals in a pissing match about how a f*cking thread should be structured, moderated, conducted and to what extent converations out of the originally intended scope should be tolerated. Sounds like fun.

Catch you guys on eBay; there are more morons there but the morons are easy to please. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.