1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Well-Known Member

2. codhead

codhead Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath waiting for pics of the HFM jacket. On closer inspection, the moths have been at that too and the dog is currently lying on it.

3. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^ No big loss. HSM is all over the place (on this side of the pond) and just low to mid tier stuff. I see at least 3-4 HSM pieces at each store I go to.

Don't worry though - you're better off with your mass quantities of Savile Row bespoke showing up in thrifts than us with our seemingly endless supply of Hart Schaffner & Marx. :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  4. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Well-Known Member

other than some brooks brothers/Hickey Freeman/ H Freeman and all Oxxford Stuff, I don't think there are any good brands out of the USA, suit wise. (not counting the $5000+ bespoke tailors in NYC of course)

What is Balmain? is it Pierre Balmain? I'm pretty sure I've passed these at thrifts before.

So much damn brands out there, learning something new everyday, although I've already got a pretty compiled list in my mind...

5. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

There is a ton of amazing US-made SW&D stuff.

There are still a small handful of labels that do RTW tailored stuff in the USA that is really nice. Freeman's Sporting Club and Thom Browne have some amazing pieces. But you're right for the most part, not much decent classic men's clothing is made here anymore. :(

6. woolnotmutton

just went on Freeman's site they have some nice advertising.. Almost Tom Ford like :p
    I would hope shows like Boardwalk Empire will create more of a following to classic men's clothing.

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Speaking of HSM...I had my mom (haha, she's grown attuned to my habit and calls me when she's thrifting now) pick up 2 HSM suits for me today. One Gold Trumpeter, the other regular HSM, both by Hechts. Now, I see tons of these (easily 5-10+ per thrift visit) and usually pass them over, but this place my mom found them at is INSANELY cheap, and these are both in great condition. You guys wouldn't believe me if I told you how much I paid for them. I'll put it this way, I got both complete suits for less than I usually pay for ONE SPORTCOAT at my already cheap regular spot. Basically, if I sold them for $15 each + shipping, I'll have more than doubled my investment on them. Amazing. Both are very well cared for and seem pretty recent (recent-ish union tags, though dry-cleaned out...whoever owned these dry cleaned them frequently. As a consequence, the tags are washed out, but the fabric itself is still in phenomenal condition for both). Both are slightly too big for me, tagged at 42XL (the jackets are a tad too long, and the pants too bulky), otherwise I'd definitely keep them both, especially for what I paid for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. woolnotmutton

why does dry cleaning damage the sizing tags? Something I've always wanted to ask?

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

I never find anything at the thrifts, so I was surprised today to find an orphaned db Oxxford jacket, recent Zanella shirt, lots of PRL, a Hermes tie that I couldn't decide whether was real or fake, a light blue Armani Collezioni shirt, and a vintage Chipp SC. I bought the Armani and Chipp and both are available. I can post pics if anyone is interested. The Chipp is a really nice jacket, bespoke from 1973 with a bold gray pattern with red overcheck. I bought it with one person in mind:

[​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Swung by my local thrift store which usually has a below average selection, but am pleasantly surprised to find things picking up.

Nothing mind blowing, but I know a few guys in this size (48 L) and these are nice basic pieces.

- Recent Golden Fleece 'Hand tailored in USA" glen plaid sportcoat. 2 btn. Single vent. Silk/Wool blend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Recent BB Mainline "Made in Italy" houndstooth sportcoat. 2 btn. Single vent. Fall 2006 season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Recent BB Brooksease solid charcoal suit. 2 btn. Single vent. Made in the USA. From 2006.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

Just picked up a new pair of AE Park Avenues and a pair of AE Strands in my size for $20. Woot!

12. tben

tben Well-Known Member

Went to a few stores today and only picked up two things. I was going to throw them on the bay but decided to come here with them first to see if anyone was interested.
    Zanella Bennett Double Pleated wool trousers size 35 with a 28.5" inseam and 41-42" from the waist to the bottom of the cuff
    BB cardigan size small-British Lambswool Made in the U.S.A.

13. Beck

Beck Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm if these sandals are real authentic Gucci Sandals???

(Gucci Black Leather Sandals) local thrift find of the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found a recent Hermes tie and it is up for sale ($80 shipped)

[​IMG]

PM If interested

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

"Page not found"

EDIT: Remove the "/IMG" from the hyperlink to fix it.

15. Beck

Beck Well-Known Member

Fixed thanks though.

16. Crows

Crows Member

^.^

17. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

pics of the BB cardigan? or at least color and whether it is shawl, ribbed, etc.

18. Pawz

Pawz Well-Known Member

DELETE

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  19. dwcopple

dwcopple Well-Known Member

what is the way to make photobucket images appear?...you can see I had trouble above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.