1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

My mobile browsing has greatly improved...

I load pics one at a time (same as before), but they show up as large photos, not small attachments you'd have to enlarge (and probably ignore).

Also, the like feature is so much better, as I can (a) actually see them (I couldn't see the thumb or drop-down list on the old mobile site), I can (b) add likes instantly (it used to require a whole minute, and I lost my place on the page, requiring more time to scroll to find my place in a sea of photos), and (c) I can instantly see who liked a post, which before was impossible on mobile, and required several clicks through my personal page on the desktop version.

This is a great benefit, as before, liking something was a very time consuming process, yet something I was compelled to do because you guys put so much effort into your posts, mostly to be overlooked in such a high volume thread.

I also love how your posts don't disappear now if something knocks you away.

HansderHund likes this.
  2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

true. but how do you get rep? is that only the seller rating?

not everybody sells.

3. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

4. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

I think that is more the user than the new format. When a user uploads photos, they have to click the 'full image' button, I believe.

Examples from my mobile from last two posts with pics. The one worth full pics looks fine.

IMG_2881.PNG

IMG_2882.PNG

HansderHund likes this.
  5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the "likes" and reputation are synonymous. If you click on your avatar, you'll see them tabulated as "likes received". Before, I think they appeared as "reputation", a number that included a total of likes both given and received, as well as an individual breakdown.

Your reputation (or "likes received") increases when anyone hits the "like" button at the bottom of each post.

Seller rating appeared as a percentage under a separate category.

6. Thrift Vader

sorry bro. that Evisu looks off to me.
    -jeans got patina before the patch did. patch has no stampings on it, and the selvedge is not two tone.

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Thanks for the helpful information! I did buy them at Saks off 5th. At $7 and $14 (the other two pairs), I didn't mind which brand and/or in which country they were made. The fabrics are nice, I especially liked the rust colored tweed. Interesting that they're for Hudson Bay. I assumed they were originally $149 and were always on BOGO, but they were dirt cheap. They'll get a bit more expensive when I have the waist let out and length hemmed, but still better than what I'd normally pay for pants.

8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

The blue one looks like Grenadine Prometeo, I don't recognize the green one. They're both sex tho.

9. Letric

Letric Well-Known Member

So many good things have come into my hands lately. I'll just share this one for now:

20170421_141108.jpg

Chicago-made Schwinn Varsity in 'Campus Green'. Built January 1969. (researched the serial #)

I don't know anything about bicycles, but everyone who does who has looked at this thing can't believe the condition it's in. After a slight adjustment I took it out for a ride with my cousin later that day during the freakishly good 75f sunny day we had. Riding around Southeast Portland in that baby felt so right. I have to keep it I think. This is my first bicycle purchase as an adult, as well as my first bicycle thrift. It's one sweet ride.

Cheers!

Thrift Vader likes this.
  10. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

As @My Main Man said, I'm pretty sure the smaller pictures are the result of clicking on "Thumbnail" rather than "Full size."

From what has been said in the threads concerning the new site, the B&S is still a work in progress. There are a couple of high-priority issues right now: B&S and old photos. With B&S, there will be filters and search functions and BIN is an option to sellers that put in their PayPal info.

The platform change was made because the old system was going to be terminated, so the change was a necessity. They're working on bugs on a rolling basis.

I'm not sure about others, but I've seen a number of improvements since last week. I have confidence that they will continue to improve the site and it will be more user-friendly. Let's face it, they're not running a charity, it's a business. As a result, they have a vested interest in keeping (and expanding) their user base, especially since this is a content-driven forum.

11. Thrift Vader

Fantastic.
    love stories like this. enjoy it man.