1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Grail T-shirt is lurking.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Well-Known Member

Trying to improve my furniture knowledge. Would something like this be considered MCM? Kind of got that vibe.

[​IMG]

3. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

Guys an acquitance I'm going drinking with had some loud 1992 LO on

He inherited it from his yacht club parents

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  4. Thrift Vader

You drinking with Nick Cave?

4 people like this.
  5. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Preeeety sure I could find that in my parents' basement. Or at least a lot of other stuff from that era.

My stuff from '91 would be Rush, U2 and a bunch of other concert tees, and at one point I had a dollar bill signed by Mike McCreedy in a bar, but I lost or spent it. He was pretty fucked up, and it looked way more like a phallus.

2 people like this.
  6. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by capnwes [​IMG]

Sterling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up some myself tonight. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Well-Known Member

Nostalgia night. The only two concert tees I wish I still had are my Allman Bros/Little Feat one from '91 and my Neil Young/Pearl Jam one from '95. But I wore both them out completely so they cease to exist for good reason.

@capnwes I had a pair of Malta cross cufflinks just like those that I actually bought in Malta. Loved them. Sadly lost when my house got robbed a few years ago.

@SpooPoker I'll keep an eye out for He Man stuff. I'm sure I've seen some and when I take my son to the stores, half my time is spent in the toy section anyway [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

:lol: So much this...

Destro could be a real asshole when someone's dad let them pull over at one of the many firecracker booths lining the highway next to the burnt-out meth shacks on road trips. He and the Baronness must have dismembered countless treasures; even their friend, the Chameleon, met his unlikely doom in their bloodlust. But they too ultimately suffered in the flame pit, along with perhaps some Muscle Men.

When my great grandmother passed away, all we could unearth from her garden was a weathered Han Solo (intact) and the charred foot of some Joe, unknown.

I think our GoBots fared better, but only because no one wanted to play with them...

2 people like this.
  9. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

I had this talk with my old man just the other day and he set me straight lol

I said remember that huge collection of star wars stuff you brought us home from that yardsale in the 90s? Well just the 1979 millennium falcon is worth a small fortune now. He said, "Do you have memories of playing with all that stuff?" I said "Of course, we loved it.

He replied, "I'll take those memories over a few bucks any day. Toys are meant to be played with."

Ain't that the truth

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    6 people like this.
  10. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So does anyone have a button that matches?

11. Spruce Moose

None on the inside pocket? I usually just grab from there and replace the inside with a generic button

6 people like this.
  12. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

13. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

You deserve a cookie.

Thanks!

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Hello from Knoxvegas. No thrifting, but if you folks ever get a chance to see My Brightest Diamond, do it. Holy shit that was a good show.

2 people like this.
  15. Spruce Moose

Is it worse than her splitting up this gorgeous current suit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ermenegildo...528946?hash=item2f00104432:g:cgkAAOSwCU1Y1Fp2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ermenegildo...365429?hash=item489a990735:g:lt8AAOSwDKtY1FYM

I might buy the pants and then hold the person with the jacket hostage. Just kidding.

It took 2 months for my order to come and then when it did 3/11 items are pretty damaged but it's not even worth complaining. I'm just not going to buy from her anymore.

1 person likes this.
  16. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Well-Known Member

Belated thanks John! It's a jacket I paid $6 for, and I assume someone has already tried to dryclean it and failed (it's thrifted after all). It's dotted with what appears to be food/sauce, and the viscose lining is somewhat discoloured. It's an Emporio Armani (so not super-$$$) but recent, so still on the fence. I may sacrifice it and see -- main worry is what would happen to the viscose lining; I think the linen would be OK but the viscose might sag.

On a related note, I have noticed that an oxy soak has a deleterious effect on MOP and shell shirt buttons, turning them chalky and dull. I will be conducting an experiment this weekend with mineral oil and other suitable substances to see if I can restore their lustre. Will keep the thread posted (unless of course someone else has already conducted this groundbreaking research, in which case I'll slink away in shame).

17. Woofa

Woofa Well-Known Member

Yeah but those trousers are Creased. Definite no go for me if there's creasing.
    I also can't buy anything triple breasted due to my unfortunately having been born on earth in the twentieth century. Now had I been living on Mars in 2084...

3 people like this.
  18. Thrift Vader

[​IMG]

or whatever brand will get coca cola out of carpet. works a treat on wool, cotton, polyester, suede,and sneakers.

I also got Blood out of a beige cloth interior with standard paint thinners. a wet cloth, air gun,and a shop vaccum cleaner.
    2 methods for you to try.

cover the buttons with foil if you want to.
    have fun.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

Treat yo self, thrift funded consignment pricing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29 people like this.
  20. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

I had a half hour to kill before going to watch my daughter's chess match...

$1.99 for Neil Barrett nuthuggers? Sure...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a couple of belts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 people like this.