1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Well-Known Member

Polo Jeans Co. was a licensed line that Ralph Lauren had nothing to do with designing and apparently bought back because he hated it. There is a NASA puffer polo jeans coat that sells for a ton, but most of it doesn't resell for much and isn't that desirable. Chaps was designed by Ralph so there is a little more desire for it. Chaps was conceived by Ralph as a cheaper line because so many cheap Polo ripoffs were coming out. Eventually, chaps I think kicked Ralph out of the company to go off on there own.

1 person likes this.
  2. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

I've always like PRL, I had little baby polo shirts as a kid. But that's all I thought Ralph Lauren was (as some others think). I started an apprenticeship at a local magazine so I needed a suit...
    I headed off to eBay and found this Ralph Lauren suit in my size and went to bid. I then went on to win the auction for £27 and my suit arrived after many difficulties and seller issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did research on the label because I had never seen a purple RL tag and was blown away.
    I just like RLPL quite a lot .[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    8 people like this.
  3. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  4. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Journalists wear suits in London? The classical critic before me would show up at the symphony in black jeans and a button down.

5. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

Congrats on your apprenticeship! None of the journalists I know through the Pipeline wear suits. A lot of fresh sneakers though. Maybe that's just Philadelphia.

6. Dirt

Dirt Well-Known Member

@ATLjon you're a classical music critic, bro? That's badass.

1 person likes this.
  7. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

re selvedge:

let me add another view: until the 50s there were no modern projectile looms, so everything was done on traditional shuttle looms that have self edged weft turns at the 'sides'. typically these turns would have an ID in the warp - redline 501xx, i've seen a lot of plain white, etc etc.

these are narrow, somewhat inefficient machines and by the 80s had been more or less discontinued across the denim industry.

at the same time the japanese (and i'm not too sure how or why this happened) decided that the old ways were better ways and began producing selvedge denims in i'd guess the 80s. they also started collecting vintage jeans in earnest and afaik there is still a healthy appetite for legit vintage stuff in japan (and other parts of asia). meanwhile in US some of the old manufacturers simply rebooted their old products.

(i think Vader did a very nice job breaking down japanese denim! i 1000% agree with the observation that american and japanese denim can both be top shelf, but from surprisingly different philosophies).

so per @ChetB does anybody still care? i'll point out that the busted seam was originally a somewhat opportunistic way of patterning a pair of pants but not without challenges (on slim/skinny stuff the taper usually happens on both sides of the leg). outside of that not really - you can make an interesting fabric on a projectile loom too.

i think that interesting things sort of justify themselves without having to ask the question. $.02

3 people like this.
  8. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

I write reviews for the paper twice a month. Sometimes I sneak a jazz story or two in there.

4 people like this.
  9. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Well-Known Member

Haven't picked up or been out much this week. Also fucked up my foot on Thursday, so catch me hobbling around ATL thrifts.

PRL Cord Rider jacket for @IRKSM

[​IMG]

NWT Bill's Brushed Cotton - 40 - available.
    [​IMG]

LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes - 8N - available.
    [​IMG]

Levis little e selvedge (got half off too!) - available if anyone is into them, not sure of size.
    [​IMG]

Vintage work shirt for me. Love finding shirts with chain stitch runoff left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And an all thrift fit:
    [​IMG]

Paa
    Vintage
    Five Brother
    Vintage
    Fatigues
    Vans

6 people like this.
  10. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Well-Known Member

Pretty funny, so a story for you: my first career was as a journalist, working for BBC News in Scotland, everything from local to regional to national to World Service. This was many years before my CM days. I wore jeans, white sneakers, a plaid flannel shirt, and a leather jacket, every day. Then my 65-year spinster aunt told me she was getting married, and I would have to walk her down the aisle, so I went to Scott Shanks the tailor, and got measured for a bespoke gray suit in Dormeuil cloth (I had always loved Dormeuil's ads in the glossies). The day I went to collect it, I just kept it on, and headed for the shoe store, where I picked up some alligator or croc shoes (hey, I knew nothing back then, just that they were "gamey" looking leather, and cool).

On the way back to my downtown home, I saw the always impeccably suited Member of Parliament for the region (the rough equivalent of a US Senator) striding towards me with a quizzical look on his face. "David, is that you?", he said: "Are you on duty?" "No, Not today", I responded. I'd interviewed him dozens of times, so we knew each other very well.

And then, in his pukka English accent: "My God, man, do you only wear a suit on your day OFF?" :rotflmao: I kept mum, but he never let me forget it. I got ribbed about the suit for years. And no, I never wore it to work . . . but that is the beauty of radio.

P.S. I gave that suit away after I gained weight, but damn, I wish I still had it, as it would have been fascinating to examine the construction, based on what I've learned all these years.

10 people like this.
  11. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have clarified more, it was a quick post!

I live just south of London on the coast and this was in 2013! :)

12. Principle

Hey all, looking for some sneakerhead advice.

Got my first message after some low-ball offers on these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302195537371?ul_noapp=true

"bro why you charging 225 for a fake pair of lebrons
    1. The swoosh is not that dark shade
    2. The white cut extends too far upwards
    3. No box
    4. air bubble should have thin supports not pillars
    5. the tongue hella short
    this is just hilariously bad"

These do not seem low quality even if they're fake. Besides I think all of the claims are maybe because I didn't get the right exposure or didn't have shoe trees that would lift up the tongue? Should I double check with Nike?

I'll probably cross post the buying/selling advice thread, just thought that this one gets more eyes. Thanks in advance.

13. vexco

vexco Well-Known Member

The last pair of sneakers I sold on ebay were some What The Kobe's and I got the same type of messages even though I knew they were real.

1 person likes this.
  14. double00

wut?

15. Principle

We talk a lot about having a feel for a well crafted garment. This isn't that backdoor ish just by the materials and the construction, is my impression.

16. Principle

First time I've gotten several messages saying "wuts the lowest u go," too.

17. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Just a question post here.

Anyone have info on this? 60s or earlier, maybe? @Nataku @leftofthedial
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not really a question here. Just first time seeing P&S Limited Edition
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Maker ID help. Not much to go on. Heels are replacements, so no help. @capnwes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. double00

[​IMG]

i didn't watch the whole thing, but enough to see some noticeable differences. it's funny how the dude co-signs the fakes as being great quality.

i'm not sure what connects lowballers with fakes tho. are you suggesting that folks are using the idea of fakery as a negotiation tactic? or...?

anyways, if you figure it out i'm always interested in how these things turn out.

19. tmethecat

tmethecat Active Member

Thanks (and to GMMcL, also) The self edge itself doesn't interest me, for my own style. I tend to hem jeans, to have some break, but I'm not into stacking or rolling.

Mostly I'm just filling the sartorial knowledge gap in my head. baby steps. :)

20. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member