1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Heider

Heider Well-Known Member

That´s a bummer, maybe they just needed the mandatory 10 years that it takes for finnish people to warm up to anyone, or to show it at least (unless drunk, in a sauna, or preferably drunk in a sauna). Oh, and I do have a small freezer full of reindeer meat from Lapland. Goes well with mashed potatoes and lingonberry.

4 people like this.
  2. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

One of my godparents' is Finnish, I used to spend a lot of time at her mums house when I was growing up, so I was raised on gherkins, cranberry juice, rye bread and other Finnish delectables.

Then my Mothers side is all Swede along with my other two godparents... So I'm all Scandi!

1 person likes this.
  3. Letric

Letric Well-Known Member

Lol somehow I heard the "klip klop klip klop" of leather boots on the floor, and knew it was you behind me. I've never been to that store at opening and wanted to see what the all the fuss was. Meh. That store is heavily sifted these days and only really good for fresh sneakers or fresh rack roller items.

So many new faces around these parts. Mostly younger guys like me (27) or younger, mostly flipping the notable sneakers and street/sports wear. I've seen maybe 3 new faces in the past few months, guys that I've never seen before. This is in addition to the other like 4 regular flippers out here, and then @the2ndhandman and I. I'd like to think that the pros like us 2 control most of this city/territory but these new people are making a dent. I don't usually feel it in CM like suits/shirts/etc, but shoes and outerwear are easy to lookup for most people. Typically you find these guys flipping through jerseys, googling sneaker models, running through the outerwear and hoodie racks for Nike/Adidas stuff a lot.

It's alarming to see so many new flipper types going after the same stuff as us, but we'll just have to step our game up. Like Spoo said - start looking into new inventory sources, new selling markets, new types of inventory to sell... Diversify your portfolio. I've recently been getting into housewares and there's some flippable shit, but I tend to keep most of it hehe. Also books have caught my interest.

Honestly I don't feel threatened by competition. I'll just go more frequently and use more clever tactics to secure my advantage. If I'm gonna be worried about anything, It's that people will just stop donating nice shit to thrifts. Also that the thrifts will start really refining things and eBaying / pricing up anything decent.

4. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

before posting finds, i want to let you all know. once again. how awesome Hans is.
    a few weeks ago, he PM'd me. looking for advice on Thrifting a car. he ended up buying a pretty sweet sounding car. but in an entirely unexpected move. he bought something on ebay, and sent it to me as a Thankyou. - he sent me a digital tire tread depth gauge.
    [​IMG]
    @HansderHund . you sir, are awesome. thankyou. i like it a lot. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    13 people like this.
  5. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

When you glance at a rack. And. . .

Early 90's Honda Racing team windbreaker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reserved for our Broheim who Thrifted that sweet Honda last year if he wants it. .[​IMG]

And...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] (N/A.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    10 people like this.
  6. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

7. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Crockett and Jones

1 person likes this.
  8. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I have every suit maker in my memory bank but I cannot remember the different English shoe makers

9. Wrong Crowd

Wrong Crowd Well-Known Member

Quote:A little late in replying to this, but I've kopped van Laack in the past for personal use. Not sure about the resale value, but it's definitely the good shit in my still somewhat uneducated opinion.

10. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not bad for couple of bucks :nodding:

27 people like this.
  11. aging in rhythm

aging in rhythm Well-Known Member

That Filson garment bag :slayer:

2 people like this.
  12. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Glad it made it to you safely! I really appreciate the help and advice you offered to me. Enjoy!

3 people like this.
  14. bert9000

bert9000 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And is this polo anything?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19 people like this.
  15. HansderHund

Recent finds... Discount stores to begin. Suede belt in a color I love and happened to need a new one. Made in Germany. [​IMG] I liked the prints on these cards. If anyone wants one, let me know, they had a few left and were €1 each. Small greeting/thank you card-sized. Others they had were Japan, New York City, and India. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] On to thrifted stuff... [​IMG] Thought this was Marinella before I turned it over, but it's Gino Venturini and has a spot in my tie cabinet. [​IMG] I grabbed this just to have a hard copy of The Sopranos even though I have it in iTunes. DVDs were €2, so I didn't look at it. My wife said "You realize you bought a Finnish copy of this, right?" I hadn't noticed. I can just turn the subtitles off, but thought it was funny. @Heider [​IMG] [​IMG] These fit and I didn't know I wanted a pair. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

26 people like this.
  16. leisurewear

leisurewear Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. HansderHund

I know, right? It was the only silk robe out of the group I saw and it was priced the same as the cotton robes.

18. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Suit should be Smalto, or someone trying their best to imitate them.
    HOLY CRAP! This maybe made me more jealous than anything else you've posted, and that's saying something.

2 people like this.
  19. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Days like today, it takes real motivation to hit the thrifts, let alone cross the ice rink that that driveway has become.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

What you show in your picture would be enough for the governor to declare a state of emergency in Alabama. Local national guard units would be mobilized and the schools would be shut down for at least 3 days.

3 people like this.