1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. ReubenR

ReubenR Well-Known Member

Runs down to the base of the pocket, right? Probably attaches somewhere around the base of the arm hole or at the collar? I think it's a support to help support the pocket and maintain the shape of the jacket when you load down a pocket with something heavy. You see it a lot with poacher's pockets, hunting vests, ect.

1 person likes this.
  2. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Well-Known Member

If solid gray, a full suit, and in nice condition on the outside I would

1 person likes this.
  3. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

Interlining is probably in the collar.

4. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Yes to all three. I'll grab it on half price day, if its still there.

5. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Still a thing?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

7. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

東京でのチューン

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. va230815

va230815 Well-Known Member

kamakura shirt

9. bert9000

bert9000 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Any opinions on this style of trench coat? Bought for personal use. I would have preferred one with a belt but obviously I can't be picky.

1 person likes this.
  10. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

Id still say so, even though resale on PE stuff has not been great

2 people like this.
  11. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Well-Known Member

16 people like this.
  12. RFHansen

RFHansen Well-Known Member

Hi John,

It's great to follow your Central American thrifting. I went through Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico in 2002. Hitchhiked all the way from Honduras to Chiapas. Good stuff. As I recall, there was quite a lot of US college sportswear floating around the flea markets. Maybe some of it has vintage value these days. Didn't look for quality menswear back then.
    These days I'm trying to find out if I can make some sort of viable income from thrifting, as the demand for my freelance journalist services aren't what they used to be. With 94 active eBay auctions today and my sales stats on an upward curve, I'm doing better than zero, but there's a long way to go still.

Anyway... your question. This is my beginner's experience earned from days of thrifting, reading, and burning money on unsellable items:

Style, brand, quality, condition, and presentation are all important in different ways. Brands matter in the sense that attractive and well-known labels can get more attention and command higher prices. I've found Hugo Boss suits to sell reliably, even if they are plentiful and nothing special in terms of style and quality. People don't search for brands they don't know.

Labels don't matter if the items look super dated or out of style. A good example is a technically beautiful herringbone Canali SC I have in stock, but which doesn't sell at $50 because it's also unvented, three-buttons and boxy. Or any number of handmade Italian silk ties, which just happen to be 11 cm wide.

Then again, there are probably some of the super high-end brands/makers that can sell regardless because they have collector's value, or because they don't go out of style in the same way as the collection-based wholesale companies. These, I assume, would be vintage pieces from the haute couture fashion houses or fine Italian or British tailoring. I haven't had any of these.

An item can be current and of good quality, but if buyers don't know the brand, it can be hard to sell. An example is a Tom Rusborg flannel SC I'm selling that doesn't attract much attention at $65. It's near mint, a 2016 piece with no 'off' details, and retails for appx. $500. And I even have good photos and detailed descriptions.

Ties are difficult. It's my experience that ties have to be really special, i.e. top-of-the-line retail price & quality to sell at any price that will make it worth to inspect, buy, photograph, measure, list, and ship them. The only one I've ever sold that was worth it was a $4 Hermés tie that went for appx. $65. Avoid ties with stains or damage, although some people here routinely pick up ties that are quite wrinkled, and which I would personally leave. I've been wondering how they flip them, and at what prices.

Happy thrifting!

3 people like this.
  13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Last stop highlights.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I think we have the same desk. Restoration Hardware?

15. Dirt

Dirt Well-Known Member

Friday's loot. Bottom left is for personal and Guardians Of The Galaxy shirt is for my girlfriend. I always thrift her funny pajama shirts. She's got quite a collection going. #onestop
    [​IMG]
    Pop on unworn shell
    [​IMG]

19 people like this.
  16. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Well-Known Member

Yes, Restoration Hardware. Not thrifted either...

1 person likes this.
  17. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Well-Known Member

RFHansen

That must have been an adventure in 2002! I came here in 2000 and did a lot of exploring for the first 5 or 6 years in the region. But there was no way I would have hitchhiked through Honduras back then. Que huevos, vos!

Thanks a lot for your answer and advice. Things have changed a lot since you traveled through and I first arrived. But the markets in the small towns are still going strong and if you're willing to dig around there are some fun things to be found. But 99.9% of it is the cast offs shipped down in bulk by Goodwill and the like that they couldn't sell back in the States. Or knock offs (LOTS of knockoffs). I'll take a picture next time I visit one to give a taste of true LatAm thrifting at it's best.

The stuff I've been finding now comes from a chain of discount/used clothing stores. Think of a slightly more organized Salvation Army that operates for profit and you've got the idea. For 5 years they've only had junk (it's where we would go to get cheap Halloween/theme party costumes). Then when I was at the beach over Christmas I visited one in a shopping plaza in the local town while I was killing time. Found the stuff in my first post and I couldn't believe it (BB sport coat, vintage Florsheim imperials in great condition that still had the original cleats. etc.). So I've spent the last 10 days visiting their stores in the city. And that's how I've found my collection so far.

I honestly have no idea how long this will last. It could end next week, or this could be a trend for a while because the chain has found some new suppliers. Good suits, sport coats, pants and sweaters aren't showing up (that BB was the only one I found that was really worth grabbing). Shirts and ties are hit and miss. For whatever reason coats and shoes are pretty reliable so far, so I've been working on educating myself on those. As I've said before, I'm really only doing this to get stuff for myself and my family and because I'm having fun. I gave those Santoni loafers and some ties to my father-in-law; scored some serious points with that gift!

But the thing that's killing me is leaving behind the good quality stuff that doesn't fit me or work with my personal style. Especially at these prices. Those crocodile Magnanni loafers cost me $1.50 and that Aquascutum trench was something like $2. Seriously, how can I just leave them sitting there? Seems like a massive waste. So now I'm working on what to do with some of these things and keep trying to strike while I figure out if the iron is going to stay hot.

Thanks again and if you ever think about heading down this way again, let me know!

John

1 person likes this.
  18. OolongT

OolongT Well-Known Member

Capnwes style fit pic for this amazing pick up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed a drink to celebrate:
    [​IMG]

22 people like this.
  19. JFST

JFST Well-Known Member

Looks legit to me.
    Some badass doc about Harris Tweed I saw today