1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Would be a good idea if this were an option when a case is opened for a non-authentic claim. If it turns out to be fake, seller pays the fee and the buyer pays if legit.

2 people like this.
  2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Ebay has to make millions of dollars in fees from brokering the selling of counterfeit goods, I wonder why they thought this would be a good thing.
    [​IMG]

3. Dirt

Dirt Well-Known Member

A lot of people knowingly buy fake bags and such. So the market will still thrive for fakes from sellers who don't opt into the program and eBay will just make more money off the people who do opt in. They are having their cake and eating it too.

4. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Well-Known Member

Customer service reps and "How to tell fake..." preloaded in the Google search bar.

Given the wide array of items that are bought and sold, and how incredibly detailed different genres and eras of those goods can be (even in high end fashion alone) , it is hard to imagine that they could hire the people with that range of knowledge, do it on the scale that they function, while charging a reasonable fee, and making it profitable.

I recently bought a bag for my wife Amazon (bought from a third party) and it turned our to be fake. Looking at their inventory, and the stark difference in what I received vs what was pictures in the ad, this wasn't a one off circumstance. I opened a case and Amazon directly refunded me the money and I don't have to return the item. I believe their (and other places') policy is to not return fake goods in an effort to deter the sale.

I'd hate to see someone good money for an item (themselves thinking it is real) then down the line wanting to sell it and then finding out it was fake, and being out the money they paid for it and the item. Seeing as you send it to eBay for authentication, I can't imagine they would ship it back to you if they decide it is fake. Maybe I'm wrong.

5. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Well-Known Member

3 old finds and 3 recent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  6. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

My wife one upped me, I found a couple uniqlo
    [​IMG]
    She found a Zegna
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. Woofa

Woofa Well-Known Member

PSA
    AE flash sale through 1/17.
    Most Shell $399.00

Edit: Please note these are factory seconds.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

9. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Well-Known Member

I remember @Dirt and @AlexJ1100 were talking about these yesterday. Are these the good Chucks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've searched ebay and what's throwing me off are the material icons on the insole. Don't see those on many. Thanks!

2 people like this.
  10. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I sold a pair like that for ~$100 a couple of years ago. I don't know much about the market though, I may have hit the buyer jackpot.

1 person likes this.
  11. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

Made in USA Chucks = Good Chucks

I'd pick them up every time.

5 people like this.
  12. dukedishin

dukedishin Well-Known Member

that price was for all colors except for navy, which is now the only one left.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Grammar is the difference between a gangster and a panda.

(eats, shoots and leaves vs. eats shoots and leaves)

Well, glad I didn't bid then.

My distrust of everything eBay is sufficiently extreme that I think there's no question this is hindrance. In fact, I view this as nothing less than a thinly veiled attempt to screw sellers even more than they already are, and a cynical play to cover their liability to brand owners.

3 people like this.
  14. Hoofit

Hoofit Well-Known Member

Some nice pick ups fromantic today.
    Patagonia trifecta all 3 store returns
    [​IMG]
    Some Kuhl
    [​IMG]
    Paul&Shark Brioni
    [​IMG]
    Patagonia vest for good measure
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  15. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

Everyone's still waiting on that Rolex?

Passed because I'm more of an Omega guy

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Woofa

Woofa Well-Known Member

Came home to 3 packages today. First big shout out to Orgetorix for the trade on this beautiful cuci square.
    [​IMG]
    Then these EG's actually in better condition than I thought. Even with the small cut on the toe box not really noticeable I will take these at under a c note all day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And finally while I did not bid on the Linda attolini's for me, I did win this one for my wife.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stupid cheap and the pockets are still basted shut, thank you very much. All in all I wish I could come home to this everyday!

7 people like this.
  17. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Well-Known Member

I'm glad you finally got that women's Attolini, been bothering me. And there's no way my wife would wear it...

18. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Well-Known Member

@SpooPoker

I know you're busy with postings tonight, but I'm worried about you. Usually you wouldn't let me near something like this.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

i know it's just stuff, but... i used to have a deerskin YSL card case (this would've been back from the Stefano Pilati days) and i actually miss that thing every time i pay for something.

20. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

I know this has been mentioned here before. Does anyone have experience removing a sharpie mark on the bottom of sneakers? This particular one is a clear plastic, I'm worried about solvents making the plastic hazy. Thanks in advance.