1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

TWSS

3 people like this.
  2. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Well-Known Member

I've been reading this thread for about 8 months now with a mixture of awe, admiration and jealousy. Basically, nothing worth talking about comes to where I live (Central Americal). So aside from my street thrifted dog (who has made me very happy) I really haven't had anything to offer. But I've been paying attention, reading and learning in hopes that one day ....

I think I've finally found some things worth sharing. And I'll apologize in advance for not spoilering. I'm not sure how to do it, but I'll figure it out.

2 pairs vintage Florsheim pebble grain longwings. 1 pair are Imperials (on the left; I think they're from '87 or '97 based on the code) and the others are Royal Imperials. The code on the Royals is in black ink but is too faded to read. Paid $1.50 for the Imperials and $1.25 for the Royals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Code for the Imperials:

[​IMG]

And the code for the Royals

[​IMG]

Question: I would like to get these resoled, since the uppers and liner are in very good condition. Can anyone recommend the best way to go about that? I'm 99.9% sure the heels have already been replaced since the V-cleat is missing. I'd like to get it done right this time.

Next, a F/W 2006 BB lambswool tweed unstructured jacket, made in Italy. Paid $1.75. In excellent condition; previous owner hadn't even removed the stitching on the pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hardy Amies black wool knit tie: $0.75. Label is folded a little weird; it's not stitched down over the "s". No pulls in the knit, no stains

[​IMG]

For the wife, a pair of Doc Martens; $2.50. Soles have almost no wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also for her a pair of 7FAMK jeans ($2.25). Nicely broken in, but still lots of life in them.

[​IMG]

A couple of trench coats (been looking for one for a while). I have no idea if these are interesting enough to share but I was happy to find them. Both have the insulated liners but I've already taken them out.

Black one from DSCP ($2.00)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an unbranded dark khaki one ($2.00)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up a vintage Eddie Bauer cord shirt ($1), a pair of Levi's ($1.75) and a Kuhl shirt ($2) for the wife, a J.Crew 2006 3 button butterfly liner wool blazer ($2.25) and a few other odds and ends. But the above are the highlights. Not Kiton, Cucinelli or vicuna, but I'm pretty happy for about $25 all in.

I just want to say "thank you" to community here for being so open about sharing your knowledge and experience. Believe me, I'm reading what you write and learning something new everyday!

Wishing all of you great success in 2017!

John

26 people like this.
  4. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

Looks like some of the Nicole Miller ties that I see clogging the racks.

5. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Sorry for the noob question, but I run across these all the time. Are they flippable?

6. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

boy those docs are in good shape and the Made in England ones are the ones worth looking at.

the vintage (90s or earlier) 8-hole model 1460 are actually pretty desirable so if you run into those that's a great grab. great post, welcome to the thread, and happy 2017.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Austin was more quantity than quality, to be expected on 1/2 off day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    POP on Alexander Wang
    Allsaints, still on my band collar kick.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mizzen & Main henley
    [​IMG]
    Ancient gamo on left, gamo, VV wannabe Southern Tide, VV, Brioni, Tyrwhitt
    [​IMG]
    ethrifted a real shearling bomber that was listed as fake fur, fake leather. It is neither.
    [​IMG]
    Almost forgot about this because I'm wearing it:
    [​IMG]

17 people like this.
  8. double00

^^^ A-2 looks to be USAF-issued.

EDIT: whoops i don't know what the hell i'm typing lol. i think that's a repro that they put velcro on? usually the civvy versions don't do velcro unless it's an airline pilot or some such.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

@JohnAAG by Central America do you mean the middle of the US, or, actual Central America?

10. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

11. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Well-Known Member

Expat living in Guatemala. You know all the stuff you guys leave behind in Goodwill? That's what we get down here when they finally decide to offload it. Comes in huge bails stuffed into shipping containers. Or we get slightly used Johnston and Murphy shoes marked up to $80. There's one store that sells GAP/Banana Republic rep samples and last season stuff. But they're selling wool v-neck sweaters for $40 to $50. And off course there are a countless knock-off stores. So I hope you can see why I was happy with my finds. Cheers!

2 people like this.
  12. txwoodworker

Would they do a repro with the actual contracted manufacturer's name on it?
    Branded Garments Inc. Orchard M/C Inc.
    1992 DLA 100-92-C-0346A

This is the first hit on that company:
    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...ern-usaf-regulation-a2-a-couple-of-questions/

Not saying it's NOT a repro, just asking the question.

1 person likes this.
  13. double00

yeah that's why i added the question mark. i'm a little confused and pretty curious if anybody knows for sure.

i see velcro and i think "issued" but then i saw branded's website:

http://www.mcssl.com/store/brandedleather/a2-jacket

and it seems like they're a repro company:

Quote: but hell, i dunno? there's every chance i'm missing something obvious. i'll look forward to one of our resident experts to chime in... i'm guessing the companies that made the modern versions are also able to outlet to the public?

14. txwoodworker

Reading that link I posted earlier it said they were issued with the velcro patches.
    [​IMG]
    The ones they sell now have no velcro, so this is either USAF issue, or someone bought later and added on the patches, assuming the ones the sell now have the same govt label as the old ones.

1 person likes this.
  15. double00

ahaha i skimmed over the chart.. so velcro does = issued. gotcha.

fwiw i have seen civilian airline pilot-issued jackets with velcro for then name tag. so those are out there. and i can imagine an enthusiast applying their own. i might decode the pen writing on the label just to make sure if i could but yeah it would seem like military in that light.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. txwoodworker

little bit of research = better keywords :) I almost passed because I didn't like the velcro and it was $30.
    [​IMG]

17. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Well-Known Member

@txwoodworker I thrifted the same champion Todd Snyder sweatshirt and planned on selling it. Made the mistake of trying it on and I've been wearing regularly ever since.

1 person likes this.
  18. txwoodworker

I can see how that could happen

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. double00

well disregarding the earlier snafu that is goatskin and is usually a good bet.

20. OolongT

OolongT Well-Known Member

While we're on the subject of A-2, I picked one up yesterday from Avirex as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.