1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. vexco

vexco Well-Known Member

All same donor 40R/36W

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  2. timber09

timber09 Well-Known Member

New to these parts - loving all the information, banter and good ole fashioned thrift findings in this thread. I'm a newbie to this whole thing so please bear with my moronic questions and I will do my best to seek out answers before posting them.

Found a nice quality shirt this week and splurged $1.79 to pick it up. Can't seem to find anything on this brand outside of what is offered on their website, which I believe is Portuguese.

Appreciate any info on these guys that anyone has - if it's the European Gap, so be it, I will gift this thing to my brother for Christmas. Be well!

Lion of Porches - London

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the thread. Stay a while. You'll be asking "is this gren?" in no time.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Um, I probably respect Nataku and is Encyclopedia on here just as much as any of his other biggest fans, no question, HOWEVER, this on circumstance, I will advise you to not exactly follow his lead. Now it is fairly well know that Wool products shrink, sometimes significant, due to exposure to extreme heat, and yes, moisture is usually the other factor in the equastion most of the time, but the true severity of this fact is actually fairly unknown by many. Wool is a fabric unlike any others in the world due to one certain characteristic trait that although a very close relative to other woolens like Cash, they do not even possess, this is that heat not only shrinks wool, but wool itself, literally doesn't just shrink a size smaller, the actually fabric has the ability to continually nonstop shrinking. Now of course science takes over to a certain extent when mass or a good starts to get packed together so obvioiusly these will subside eventually if forgotten about, however personally if I were you, I would keep any wool goods you own, as far away from any direct high temp heat sources in the area, it is like krypnotite to the shit, cannot express that any more sincerely, will totally fuck your shit up. Yes this is extreme precautions and worriy, but I state it due my sincerity over the matter. Wool and High Heat Expose are 2 things that should never be in the same place same time ever just to be safe, add a tad bit of moister, and you can replace Rick Maronis in Honey I Mishaped or Shank My Fucking Grails."

Now your dilemma......back in the day I used to dry clean every item I thrifted. I was loosing thousands and thousands monthly, this was fucking rediculous I know. SInce I have never done a single thing with a single garment after purchase since. However options you should look into due to your obvious concern over the issue...... Amazon, for a Wool Spot Cleaner to try and avoid dry cleaning fees. Moreso, you do wish or need a try clean, DEMAND A SPOT CLEAN ONLY ON THE SPOTS....TRUST ME, DO THIS! The secret bullshit industry of dry cleaning breaks down to the fact that for every 10 or so drop off locations, theres another facility that actually has the machinery. Now you may like your cleaners, but unless so new hot shit I've never heard of, everything is just the same and equally as shitty every (except that dope spot in Arizona). I say this because THE LAST THING IN THE WOLRD YOU WOULD EVER EVERY WANT TO HAPPEN, is to thrift a perfect condition suit, dry clean it, and have their (not exactly Standford Grad workforce, be in charge of not felting the wool on your suit (this term s relatively new to me, so I have no idea if everyone knows it and I'm the last or I just came across it by luck, either way, it's when the suit fabric, it doesnt feel like it should, its shit, and when the wool is shiny under light, that's felted wool, irreversible if set in enough and it's something done thousands of times every day. Fuck the cleaners, buyer responsiblity.

and Febreeze. Keep in mind, the clothinoung is used and sold on the secondary market, any item you have up for flipping has some sort of order, clear your item and yourself of any returns due to that fact by simply stating that it is a used piece of clothing, it's condition, etc, and after divulging all details thus has had a previous owner, obviously thus preworn, any faint odors or not left behind, returns wont be accept due to problems with the actual good because you dilvuged everything they need to know. If they want new car smell less than 20 miles driven, and all the newest technology, than go to Benz and by a 2017 S550... They can't these risks are theres. And trust me, the Dry cleaners are taking out stains and cleaning the clothes, but remember, it's not done by submerging them, thus drowning all the bacteriuild up or most, and then ad added cleansor finishing offf the reast, it's done with industrial chemicals separating dirt from your garments, so Febreeze on hand would be a good call as well.
    1. WE* TYPO SORRY

2. IF THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF ME SOUNDING LIKE A KNOW IT ALL OR PREACHING OR WHATEVER THE FUCK, COULD SOMEONE, DEAD SERIOUSLY, HAND ON MY FAMILY, PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WILL, AND LET ME KNOW WHAT WORDS OR PHRASES OR GRAMMATICAL STRUCTURE, TONE, LACK OF CERTAIN TYPES OF SPEECH THAT WOULD MAKE THE TONE READ DIFFERENTLY, OR EVEN VOCABULARLY USE THAT BRODCASTS ME ACTING WITH A SENSE OF SUPERIOIRTY. IT'S TRULY THE ONLY THINK THAT I REALLY NEED TO BE MADE AWARE OF (NOT TO BE CONFUSE WITH ONLY TO WORK ON, IT'S JUST HE LAST OF ALL THE STUFF I NEED TO KNOW THE ANSWERS TO, SO I CAN BEGIN). SO ANYBODY, HELP IS GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED...AND THIS IS DEAD SERIOUS. THANK YOU.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Dude, how much do those idians cost to hack you a pair so you don't need to siit at the comp beside yourself? If you think about it, if you higher one of them, they get your 2 pairs (your allowed 2 max right?) Flip the second pair and computer farm boy is paid for and now your good forever.

6. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Well-Known Member

Gant rugger distressed boots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boss coat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    J Lindeberg

[​IMG]

Ol, prl and cos cashmere
    [​IMG]
    lvc shrink to fit big E selvedge and acne mod lana

[​IMG]
    Wool cashmere robe
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  7. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

I understand the basic logic here, these were the core, true Jordan models during his career, however I do have one question about this list. The Jordan 16s. If any shoe might mark a monumental part of the second greatest player ever to play (His words, "Kobe's the only one who could take me."), wouldn't the model of the year of his return to the league following his retirement after winning 6 championships on 2 3 peats in 1 decade? I'm not arguing here, I am just quite curious. I personally ad both color ways, loved em, but long term value wasn't my reason for purchase also. For example I'd go out on a limp and say something like a Game Worn Babe Ruth Jersey from the Boston Braves rather Yankees or Ty Cobb from the Phillies rather Detrioit, would possibly be far more sought collectors items......?

8. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

Well, apparently none of us should be wearing wool anyways because Alicia Silverstone says not to. God knows what she would make of Spoo's closet.

[​IMG]

My dilemna is getting a couple pairs of mint thrifted Inco's (thanks to @Lirum) back from the tailor last night but want to wear tomorrow. I usually dry clean, but since that is not an option I was debating whether to just get on with it or delay wearing until they can be cleaned. Less about another man's junk being close to where mine will be and more about any critters hitching a ride into my closet.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

@SpooPoker please check email. Thx.

1 person likes this.
  10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Ugh, beat me to it. The day all our high school dreams came true -- and for a good(?) cause. :happy:

1 person likes this.
  11. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

That is the very first piece of proganda I have ever seen that has actually fucking absurdly inferred that a Vegan diett all of a sudden gives your a Social Cause, the right to make absurd fucking, totally misinformed, idiotic, fucking horrible in every aspect......Honestly those are the only words I can think of, I'm motherfucking speechless ad cannot think straight. These self ritcheous pretentious pieces of shit who believe they are better people but not following our human natural and the worlds natural order of things as it's been for as long as the apces stood on 2, that they can partner with Peda and now dicctate to people our horrible practices in our daily lifes, especially with propaganda that makes as much sense as boycotting shit like Oil, Or Electrical bills, and our month morgadaguse or rents...... extremely to prove a point. Wool is by far, without a single argument or questions, the absolutely by far cold weather clothing that has ever been invented. It insulates body temp, it breathes to not over heat, good quality wool garments can last forever if probably cared for. They are insanely versatile. That fabric literally could have you ready for anything. And what happens to the animals? Their fucking thick ass summer coats get shaven off and then they trot back out into the feild with aboslutely no fucking clue in the world what has occurred. Veganism is now a Colt officially partnered with Peta. Peta stands for something, Vegans have no foundation or basis, because their fucking qualifications is their goddamn fucking nourashment restrictions. Jesus christ I am fucking furious right now. The green card to now destroy every Veegan I meet though that I just gave myself should be fun.

12. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhhh so your specific situation is tha tyou thrifted some items that you actually would like to wear a little bit before moving them on down the road first? Oh well in that case, I would spot clean all stains and have them puppies pressed. You don't want all those chemicals they use in those nice clothes, and they are worn so sparsely that dirt build occurs over a great deal of tine. dry cleaning should only be done to wooliens like 5-6 times a year, except suits obvious since you need the fresh creases always. The steam press they use to crease those puppies will probably kill any possible horific disease they may contain within.

.......however you could also just carefully fold them and place them in the freezer before you go to sleep. This was suffocate freeze, and kill all iving bacteria within the garment.....and Aids dies after 20 minutes of full on contact with our atmosphere so your good there too, just the Black Plague I guess.....Herbes?..obviously a joke, ur good.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Dude....just enjoy the booty.

2 people like this.
  14. freehand

freehand Well-Known Member

Jompso, I'm afraid you're not well informed on this topic. There are solid ethical arguments for not eating meat, eggs or dairy, not wearing leather or other animal products or (to use one of your examples) reducing your carbon footprint. But meat tastes good, wool keeps you warm better than lots of other fabrics, Lobbs look great and it's nice to fly around the world. So you make your choice. But it's unreasonable to denigrate vegans as idiotic. Also, relax.

7 people like this.
  15. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Well-Known Member

Frame Denim jeans, made in LA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

Great ass.that is all.

3 people like this.
  17. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm not talking about luxuries, Minks and Chinchilla coats are amazing for insallation and warmth and being member of Dipset. Leather is an extremely durable shell for outerwear, its worn casually, but its functionality is used because not even those pro bike racing jerseys for the motorcycle cicuits withstand durability Yes, there are numerous meat substitutes for those who do not wish to partake, and by all means thats their right and I support them and their freedom to make this choice. Hell I didn't have problems with vegans in any way prior. And sure there are substitues for everything, why? Because people can't afford the real deal. Have you ever bought a fake leather jacket? Have you tried a Vegan died, kept with it and grew a false sense of Self Ritcheousness and now a Social Movement to shame those who partake in perfectly harmless normal human behavior? Wool keeps you warm better than any type of knit in the world. Ever purchased synthetic knits instead? If so I'm sure you enjoyed that one time your wore it. And what on earth makes you think that all of the shit vegans have produced entirely out of synthetics and chemicals has less of a Carbon Footprint tharsean goods source from natural sources.

Ethical arguments? No are these arguements in regards to the treatment of the live stock prior to slaughter or when using them for egg production? Yea, sure, inorganic Chickens lives fucking suck horribly...helll free range chickens lives suck almost as much, cuz that whole idea propagaded by the FDA was WILLDLY misleading. Cows though? They roam free, are slaughtered like humans have been doing to all of our protein sources for fucking 80,000 or so, and whether air gun or whatever the fuck, our methods currently sure as hell beat our ancestorrs preferences of sharpened throwing sticks to slowly bleed out the animal in fear.

Also back to leather, there isn't a replacement for it, flat out. It doesn't exist. Just like there isn't one for oil at the moment either, it's fucking life. I love my iphone and I also love this dope new special edition Macbook pro I got recently that is only available in certain store and extremely limited locals, purely based on how insane the fucker works and whats in it and stuff. Did 4 year olds make this shit? Or perhaps older women with 12 hour work days and 1 15 minute bathroom break during that entire time? I mean personally I have no fucking clue, but their lack or legalized labor regulations in addition to what I've read and i Could say sure, maybe......Do I return this shit now?

I don't give a fucking about Vegans, and I didn't think they were idiot. You missed my point by a mile. The fact they have moved their own personal choice.....those things we do individual based on principles and relief systems, morals, integrity etc..... and have no turned it into a social movement to try and guilt all none Vegans about the ways we live our lives and doing so by first, partnering with Peta just so the news of this occuring did totally dismantle that entire lifestyle choice to the chore, but secondly, come out against a vital product to man kinda that is used in so many ways and places you couldn't even begin to fucking imagine, all because we harmless shave it from a sheep is aMy fucking joke, it's misinformed or ignorant, and it now has them believing that since they now have an actual organized Social Activism Group, they no longer have to sit in silence to think about their superioirty over all else due to their far advanced and superior lifestyles, they now get to preach their pretentious nonsense to the masses and hide behind a World Wide Activist group THAT DOES ACTUALLY STAND FOR SOMETHING RIGHT. You defending that bullshit is absurd.

Actually wager, you get a leather jacket made from bonded or fully synthetic leather instead, and wear it for a month straight documenting it. I will fucking officially join the Vegan Movement, post offical signed documents here as proof.

And the leather shoes comparison.....I'm not even gonna begin. Do you know how many vegans get caught daily in the media wearing animal products such as leather shoes? Every dick that has made a public announcement about their lifestyle choice believing it makes them superior. All.

And my references would be my Mother, one of the most accomlished interioir designers in this city of the past 30 years, thus a strong familiarity with all types of leathers, synthetic blends, or fake
    My in moms husband being the VP of a vert prominent food distrubuting company now the Western US. So I know exactly how everything is raised and treated and I know how, where, who, what, whatever fabrics are made and what it takes

So I'm very informed, thanks.

Also, meat does taste good, and I wouldn't give up my favorite 32 ounce bone in wagyu Ribeye for the world.....unless cows were going extinct, however I'm actually fairy sure it's a regulated industry and a sustainable species. I'm a human, meaning in my environment, my ecosystem dictates me the Apex predator, the top of the top. Meaning I'm free to feed on whatever the fuck I want because thats my animalisitic right and our animalistic nature (notice we weren't raised on Daiyu cheese and fucking milk substitute).

This whole thing is a sham and fail and making a group of dickheads now believe they are important when they aren't. They are fucking clowns.......now do you have anything further you wish to try and state? Or you good?

1 person likes this.
  19. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

You don't get it, you don't live where I do. There everywhere, their pretentious, and they suck. They are annoying people. It effects me cuz cuz of where I'm at, my horror and frustration are totally valid. I'm not religious, but say I was, I don't make PSAs stating stating the thinks Jews didn't ever do while inferring certain questionable actions made (with referencing purely to the bible which lord knows whats true) the Christians may have been guilty for or whatever the fuck for example. They aren't pushing a cause, they are pushing a personal lifestyle choice. It's like mormons knocking on your fucking door to find Jesus, pushing their shit others, which isn't their place. Now Vegans have a platform yet they have no importance. Hell I have celiac disease. I have an intolerance to wheat based foods. Maybe I should start a Social Activism Movement condemning those who eat Gluten due to all recent scientific studies that point towards (more than likely) totally ridiculous health risks or whatever the fuck. Me not eat bread or them not eating animal products is the same fucking thing, it's a diet choice, this doesn't give them a voice for public spread of ignorant propaganda.

20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I have a random question about Royal Warrants on clothing...

Is anyone familiar enough with these to know how to date them? Can I assume that something that says "By appointment to her majesty the queen..." was made during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II (or Victoria if old enough)?