1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. vexco

vexco Well-Known Member

That's fine. My main point was that the popular vote really just doesn't matter since that's not what they're campaigning for. That's all haha.

2. coldinboston

coldinboston Well-Known Member

I believe that on the latest final count (once michigan and other close states were included) he actually also won the popular vote by 600k so the point is moot. HRC was only ahead in popular vote prior to the final count.
    Again correct me if I am wrong but thats the impression i had from the latest counts

3. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

She's currently up by 630k in the popular vote, and everyone thinks this margin will get wider.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/11/13/who-won-the-popular-vote/

4. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

The current count on Google has HRC ahead in the nationwide popular vote by 630,877 votes.

The Electoral College was enacted as a way to appease the Southern slave states where it came to representation at the national level.

Think about it... Who was able to vote in those days? In most states, it was white male property owners.

In non-slave states, that meant a white male property owner who spoke for his immediate family (ie, his wife and children).

In the slave states, that white male property owner spoke for his family AND however many slaves he possessed.

The South wanted each slave to count as a person for the purposes of counting the population for representation in Congress and in the Presidency. The non-slave states rightly though this would give the South too much power. The 3/5ths compromise came about as a way to compromise on this issue.

http://constitution.laws.com/three-fifths-compromise

Anyway, back to thrift stuff...

5. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

hmm... imo vex's point still stands. the electoral college might be outdated but that's an argument unto itself and doesn't really hold water for or against any particular outcome. but of course the popular vote will be abused as rhetoric for at least the next four years.

it is interesting to imagine what presidential politics would look like with a popular voting system. i'm not convinced it would be better or worse, but it would certainly alter the relative value of say a california vote versus a florida vote.

6. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I'd like to think it would substantially increase voter participation across the board.

We have horrid turnout for our elections. A lot of people in California, for example, don't bother voting because they know that the state will go for the Democrat. And with the new "top two vote getters in the Primary go to the General election", there's a good chance of there being no Republicans on the upper end of the ballot come November (witness the Senate race which was just one by Kamala Harris).

If you knew that your vote was going to count the same as everyone else in the country, wouldn't you be more likely to vote?

This of course could work to the Republican candidates favor as well. You'd get higher turnout in red states like Idaho and Utah.

7. Dirt

Dirt Well-Known Member

Fair or unfair, the nature of the electoral college lends itself to susceptibility to manipulation and corruption...but that's a whole other rabbit hole.

8. coldinboston

all it would take is just a quick constitutional amendment over the next few days through the republican senate and house and then ratified by the mostly republican led states and voila the electoral college is abolished and whoever get the most votes wins. Surely the republican law makers would have no problem doing that...
    even being on the losing side of this election, the rules were clear before and the result was decisive and not even close. As stated before the popular vs electoral vote can be used as fodder for complaining and discussion, but I dont really see the point.
    I realize other people have different opinions on this matter.

9. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm talking the longview.

Let's just hope there's a Constitution left to amend after Trump is done.

2 people like this.
  10. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

fueco, it would go the other way too. how long has it been since a republican pres candidate has campaigned in the west? and how would alter their platform? and how would dems counter? etc etc. i think it's one of those moves that - for better or for worse - has the potential to fundamentally, unpredictably reshape us politics.

a lot of countries have mandatory voting. i'm not really crazy about that i think that non-voting happens to be political expression but it is done. anyways imma CE this shit and stick to bragging. peace.

11. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

But why does the election itself take so damn long?
    If ur a serving president in ur first term you basically have to waste half ur first term campaigning for the next one.
    Surely his or hers time could be better spent no?

3 people like this.
  12. coldinboston

Agreed above about people thinking that the election is decided before it even starts in certain states. I am in MASS and I know there is 0 chance that a republican presidential candidate would win even though we have had a fair amount of republican governors.

However you don't think that would give an unfair amount of weight to the more populous states? i.e. if you get 70% of california and NYC, should you be able to dictate policy to 6-7 or more other states in the midwest who voted for someone else? Doesnt that go against the whole principle of the majority dictating to the minority what to do?

13. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

That's why it's called the UNITED states.
    It's the whole country not each state.

14. Dirt

Dirt Well-Known Member

All this talk reminds me of the time I thrifted this vintage heat transfer tee:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. coldinboston

I can respect your opinion on this but your statement does summarize a bit the fundamental differences between the two major parties i.e. bigger government and less state autonomy vs less federal government and more state level regulations. These conversations never lead to any agreement bc people have different opinions.
    Again while the election did not go to the candidate I voted for, as Dave Chappelle said on SNL last night (paraphrase) I will give this tax break thing a go for now and see how it goes.
    while I am dissapointed I really do not see this as some kind of cataclysmic event in US history.
    anyways back to style discussions.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  16. winny94

winny94 Well-Known Member

This. Not sure why people don't understand campaign strategy would change.

17. winny94

winny94 Well-Known Member

Curious, what do you actually could happen that would result in the abolishment of the Constitution? Feel free to PM to keep the thread clean.

18. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Well-Known Member

Actually, that's why it's called a REPUBLIC, not a pure democracy. There are a number of safeguards in the system against any group (whether geographic, state, or economic) just voting themselves the goodies of the rest. And it is a federalist system where the importance of each state is emphasized. One of the reasons for the electoral college is so that a president couldn't just win without 'flyover' country. Promise the sun and moon to the coasts, and the rest of the country would fund it ... for instance.

Any talk about this year being unfair is, as @double00 alludes to, is like saying we change to count hits instead of runs after the world series was played. That's not how the game was played.

On the other hand, I've got to get back to photos and listings ... Seattle trip loaded me up on inventory. No thrifting for a bit; until I get this listed.

1 person likes this.
  19. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Well-Known Member

dupe, sorry

20. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

People are seeing it as a cataclysmic event in US history not because a Republican won instead of a Democrat, but because Donald Trump won. There is no disputing he has said some vile, repugnant, blatantly racist things, and that he has a penchant for vendettas. Top these reprehensible character traits with a complete lack of knowledge of pretty much everything that isn't not paying taxes, discriminating against renters, refusing to pay contractors, etc., and you'll see why people are treating this as the end of the world. I really do think his treatment of the media is going to lead to some hard times for journalistic institutions.

There was a glimmer of hope from his initial actions post-election, but putting Steve Bannon in his close circle of advisors, as well as some of the stuff he just said in that 60 minutes interview, does not inspire confidence.

3 people like this.