1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Well-Known Member

The best from yesterday and today. Our state isn't dead yet....

TNF X (just the warm-up...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I believe this is 1950s West Germany:

[​IMG]

Then This. I was fortunate to work at home today. Over my lunch I went to pick up my kids and noticed a garage sale. I stopped in even though I had no cash. Luckily the person held this for me while I hastily went to the bank and back...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what the style of this jacket is? I'm not sure what a comparable might be.. I think this one might top the Orange RL Sporting Goods jacket from last week. Woah. Back to listing... So much good stuff out there now.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    20 people like this.
  2. Wrong Crowd

Wrong Crowd Well-Known Member

Found a piece by Jil Sander in the men's section. Thrift fit on a Jil Sander turtleneck sweater and some Rock & Republic jeans (yeah yeah I know StyleForum hates them but they're an upgrade from the Target brands I am still trying to replace):

[​IMG]

Is this actually a men's sweater, or a just a really big women's sweater? It's super thin and fits really tight. It's marked as a size 50, but the content tag is missing. Feels like a wool-cashmere blend or pure cashmere. Can anyone who knows anything about the women's side provide details on this?

Also, while we're on the topic of cashmere sweaters, is this anything? Made in Hong Kong so unlike Bergdorf Goodman I know it's not Cucinelli. Google searches for Saks cashmere sweaters turn up wildly varying results.

[​IMG]

Also while I'm taking pictures, pop on Paul Smith, and another Dior tie that I liked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Well-Known Member

Good lord two loro leathers in one day. I gotta work harder.

4 people like this.
  4. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Well-Known Member

@Wrong Crowd

If you are 40R, and it is tagged 50 (EU) and fits you, then Jil Sander is men's, no doubt.

1 person likes this.
  5. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

This is why people who live in Alabama try to stay out of the news.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! I'm lost when it comes to furs.
    Every time we go up there, I try and hit the Savers up on the hill. Have had decent luck there. The GW is awful, though.
    Yep. Been buying a lot of crap I really shouldn't be lately, just to make me feel like the trip was worth it. Then I get home, realize my stupid decision and return them the next day...
    This definitely restores my hope in our state. Kicking myself though becayse I was probably about 15 minutes away from this sale today but was striking out hard and decided to just head home before my son started to get cranky. Glad you ended up with it, though! :slayer: :slayer:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. GetBlatzed

GetBlatzed Well-Known Member

Hard to compete with a couple LP leathers, but I was pretty stoked to find this today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 people like this.
  8. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GetBlatzed [​IMG]

Hard to compete with a couple LP leathers, but I was pretty stoked to find this today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oh this is pretty sweet, more my style. I have a Cafe racer now but would love to thrift a slightly bigger size at some point...

9. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

@SpooPoker
    Best piece in that haul is that Womens Miu Miu jacket

10. Chotii

Chotii Well-Known Member

Went in to local Value Village. Had...20 minutes? Found this very pretty Burberry men's tweed jacket, size 38. Got to my appointment just in time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cuffs are badly stretched. If anyone knows a good way to tighten them up a bit, please let me know.

[​IMG]

This is the only genuine damage I found.

[​IMG]

Hand woven? Harris Tweed? it doesn't say. Pretty amazing though.

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  11. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

if the cuffs are wool, you should be able to soak and block them no problem... they don't look bad from here, but ?

12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

Glad you like it. :cheers:
    Tried making a coffee in the Evangelion Mug yet?? :stirpot:

No idea if Ships is Ring Jacket. But that jacket just seemed right.
    :embar:

We should totally resume the watch spotting game. And catch up. It's been a while.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. rhyme

rhyme Well-Known Member

@SpooPoker : Damm Uncle. People in NY must hate you or they must be itching to move out.

@Thrift Vader : Do you come across ring jacket clothing at all? I would love to own a few sc if they are cheap over there.

1 person likes this.
  14. leisurewear

leisurewear Well-Known Member

Just realized you (and maybe @wumpyfish) are talking about Duluth, MN.  I'm talking about Duluth, Georgia lol

2 people like this.
  15. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Well-Known Member

@classicthrifter

It looks like the Loro I found. It's the Icer model. Congrats! Sold mine for $1K :slayer:

16. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  17. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Well-Known Member

+1 hilarious!

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Thats a great one. I thought you would have been all about that TF/Gucci though.

19. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

That weiner dog scarf made me howl this morning haha something about their body and just how unnatural it seems cracks me up. Also to the Burberry rainboots, those are money $$$. I've noticed Linda fetches a fortune for em

Speaking of Linda, someone should low ball her on these. In my experience she usually takes 30 to 35. The 30$ shipping to Canada kills the deal for me otherwise they'd be mine

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brioni-Mens-...077269?hash=item58e372db15:g:1egAAOSwmLlX2mgN

And finally if you want a chuckle, check out these Zegna Collezioni from Linda

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Zegna-Collez...077690?hash=item58e372dcba:g:tyEAAOSwNRdX2mgV

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

Yea that Gucci is definitely straight baller status and an awesome piece I just really like the aesthetics of that Miu Miu