1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Probably a turd for resale and you've gotta change that crystal to wear it, so id say yeah. cool though!

agree with this

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

M65 with liner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent HF Addison Suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bb Stretch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VTG BB Brown Flannel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First non HF G&H

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VTG HF Plaid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 Piece Tweed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blazer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bb Tweed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gieves
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. leisurewear

leisurewear Well-Known Member

Hi guys, newbie thrifter here posting for the first time. Got inspired after going through this thread and a similar one on AAAC and have been hooked since earlier this month. It's a bit intimidating submitting here with all the ridiculous finds but wanted to offer my humble victories however small with the group. Mostly have been adding the thrifted items to my wardrobe since I've had luck with sizes and also I think if I start going for volume/making profit it'll eventually suck the joy out of it all. All the below are true thrifts (from Goodwill) except for the pants.

Probably the high retail value item I got, 2-Piece Gray Prince of Wales Plaid BBGF suit, near mint condition. Fits pretty well and currently at the tailors to get some minor touch-ups (also an intro pic that has my face in it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two are what got it all started. Walked into Goodwill and these two were the first two items I saw, both fit well and have been adopted. Suede Captoe Brogue Oxfords (Walk-Over, made in USA) and AE Villarosa Tassels

[​IMG]

This was the first SC, pretty satisfied with the fit and didn't take it to get altered. Jaeger wool/silk/linen blend. Pretty colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Favorite shoe thrift so far, AE Sanfords in my size, freshly recrafted (probably worn less than 5 times after recrafting)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MTM recent Tom James Executive Collection Gray Pinstripe 2-Piece suit. This one I currently have on ebay. The shoulders fit well but would need to get the waist of the jacket let out and the sleeves dropped. I don't wear suits often so currently leaning to try to sell and fund my thrifting addiction. PM if you want measurements. Measures to a 42R cut slim/very slim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AE Park Avenues 10.5 C, available.
    [​IMG]

Found these Zanella pants at a consignment store today for $25. Loro Piana 150s. Going into the rotation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought probably 12-15 ties this month (all $3 a pop). Below are my 3 favorite. From L to R: Old Burberry, Luigi Borrelli, YSL
    [​IMG]

And finally one for the wife. She is troubled by my new hobby but asked me to look for some artwork while I was at it. Limited edition Dalhart Windberg print from 1985 along with affidavit of limited edition for $25. Resale value is probably only around $150 but the wife likes it so it'll go up in the house
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's my month in review. A couple other SCs and a heavy trench of lesser brands that fit well but not worth posting. Have a mental checklist of items I'd like to find while thrifting and hoping I can get to a sustainable pace and not go too crazy. I think I've stopped by a thrift store after work 90% of the days in the past 3 weeks.....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    38 people like this.
  4. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Great first post! Welcome!

5. SpooPoker

Great first post and you look awesome in those jackets - many here wish they can have a fit like that pretty much OTR.

Keep reading and honing your finds and you'll do great!

(and find something else too for your wife so she gets off your back :lol:)

6. leisurewear

leisurewear Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Thanks man, I'm blessed with an average body (though the stuff I find has mostly been previously altered). And thanks for inspiring the rest of us and giving us the temptation that gets us to keep going back haha. Yes...it's tough when the wife doesn't get the same adrenaline rush from a good deal or from putting on a piece of high quality clothing. I took her with me one time and she kept picking out Banana Republic/Ann Taylor loft type things made in SE Asia. In addition to the print I've found a NIB large wood portrait frame and a dolly for her electric guitar pedal board so she's currently satisfied.

2 people like this.
  7. SpooPoker

awesome. next time, bring home 1200 pieces of ralph lauren, see what she says.

12 people like this.
  8. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

Better pic of the Vassi Caruso.
    [​IMG]
    Brand new Made in Italy BB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for some reason my fave find of the day.
    Vintage art deco American Optics.
    This lady was legit blind look at that glass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  9. Woofa

Woofa Well-Known Member

Welcome and great first post.

10. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Well-Known Member

Robert Talbott for Maus & Hoffman Palm Beach
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    8 people like this.
  11. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

@leisurewear

Welcome aboard! Love that print. Nice finds!

12. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm up to 5 free J.Press hangers, 4 free J.Press bags, and a free Brooks Brothers bag from this same consignment store.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  13. matty long legs

matty long legs Well-Known Member

Def not some bad finds, though I would have left a few. A word of advice, you're going to buy a lot, probably too much, since you're first starting out. I certainly did. Fight that urge. There's no shame in going home empty handed. There's only one @SpooPoker, try as we all might to achieve his level of greatness.

1 person likes this.
  14. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

Holy shit has anyone seen the new Louis Vuitton collection? Pretty sure I saw a crocodile trench coat in there

1 person likes this.
  15. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Getting in touch with my feminine side. A lot more good stuff to be had, but was just too pricey, even at half off. This lady had racks of St John, Les Copains, Etro, Missoni, Max Mara, etc, while the husband was content with 30yr old Towncraft suits and Rockports

LP Cash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    St John Cash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cuci
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eskandar linen dress? No possible way to photograph this thing and make it look appealing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16 people like this.
  16. bboowwyy

bboowwyy Well-Known Member

I've started looking through the women's racks this year, and apart from some cool misplaced men's stuff, haven't found anything worth buying.

17. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

Some of my highest selling men's items have come from the women's section

3 people like this.
  18. SpooPoker

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6 people like this.
  19. wumpyfish

wumpyfish Well-Known Member

ditto that, I always wonder did someone stash/hide them for half price day or are they doing a little research and plan to come back.

20. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Well-Known Member

Becoming the village creep just for the off chance that some items are misplaced, f that

1 person likes this.