1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. TexJake

TexJake Well-Known Member

If you're really curious, do some searching on Google, find some people that have clothing made to fit them PROPERLY, and you'll see examples of both pleated and flat front pants that look good. But, as with most things on this forum, "look good" is as subjective a phrase as they come.

Pleats serve a purpose, to help the fabric below the waistband blouse out when one sits or raises their knees. Prevents pulling and wrinkling when one is seated or one's hands are in their pockets. If pants are constructed and fitted properly, pleats should not even be noticed while standing or walking normally, they should lie completely flat until one is seated or something of the sort. As mentioned previously, pleats get a bad rap because of men wearing off the rack pleated pants that are either constructed poorly (i.e. Too low rise for pleats, blousy hips, etc) or pants of the wrong size entirely make them look awful.

If you like em, wear em. If not, don't. That's why there are both, and a range of options between. Like single pleats, reverse pleats, and darts.

Flat fronts can look really awful if fitted poorly as well, don't forget. There's a place for all of it. And much depends on body type, quality of fit, fabric type, and of course personal taste.

For starters, you can read here: http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/pleated-trousers/

And then search some more, you'll find good examples of both well-fitted and ill-fitted pleats and flat fronts.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    4 people like this.
  2. ReubenR

ReubenR Well-Known Member

Topic change? Topic change. Anyone have advice for wedding toasts? Working on my toast as best man.

3. AHS

AHS Well-Known Member

Baller from the Row.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AHS

18 people like this.
  4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Funny clean anecdote about groom, compliment bride, express love for both and wish them well, thank them for including you in their special day, encourage everyone to join you in toasting their marriage and new life together. Mic drop and peace out. Hit on every bridesmaid.

7 people like this.
  5. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Well-Known Member

Finding a number of things over the last week ... here's the nicest of them. There's a bunch of fodder too ... not worth pictures today. I'm new enough at this that all are pops.

Paradise Found Magnum PI Hawaiian shirt XL
    Three Tom Ford Ties (two shown)
    RLPL linen shirt
    Dolce and Gabbana shirt
    RT best in class tie

[​IMG]

Hate to ask, but is this one a gren?

[​IMG]

And Spoo ... amazing haul, kudos to you ... setting the bar oh so high.

13 people like this.
  6. TexJake

TexJake Well-Known Member

Wedding Toast... that's more difficult than pleats, IMO. Haha.

I did find some stuff at a thrift store today also, so I'll bring that back to the thread and attempt to redeem my feeding of the thread derailment fire. :slayer:

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  8. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

Looks like grenadine from here..

1 person likes this.
  9. cz606

cz606 Member

A couple things today along with some shirts not pictured. Jackets are Canali and Zegna.

I know nothing of shoes, but the ones in the pictures seemed worth a shot at only a few dollars. Tag reads "Maurizio for C & E Shoes" and beneath is "Made in Italy".

Thanks for the help in interpreting Canali tags from yesterday. You guys are great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

Amazing haul...and just leftovers?

11. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

You guys give way too many shits about pleats thats why ISIS is winning (TM)

Spoo amazing haulage.

6 people like this.
  12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Then drink enough to hit on every bridesmaid again. Then take a bridesmaid back to the hotel and go back to bed. Learn from my mistakes and try not to decide that the couch looks like the perfect place for a nap when you get back.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

I got first dibs for the stuff I wanted and wound up with over 1200 pieces that were discards. sure i probably missed some awesome stuff in the middle but hey, thanks Long Island for not having good taste and leaving these for me.

2 people like this.
  14. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Well-Known Member

How is this even possible??? Does the Estate Sale Company not even give a F? Advertised right and they could have made a mint right? These folks do resale for a living as well. How on earth would they not try to maximize their profits? Was there no relative around that said oh hell no we're not selling this 2K NWT garment for 75 Cents... Does the Estate Sale company not have the time to do a simple google search to realize what they were sitting on? What is the logic?

Congrats Spoo! Damn.

(will not post my meager Escada/St John Jeans/Capris haul later. LOL)

1 person likes this.
  15. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

if you think pleats are out, you aren't paying attention

high waisted pleats, not 1990's Zanellas

there's a difference :)

16. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I've finally added a stop at a Dogfish Head Alehouse on my fourth trip to this part of the country...

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

Just got caught up. Holy shit this place got weird for a bit yesterday.

Regarding guitar stuff, anyone from this thread can feel free to PM me if you're ever questioning buying anything. I've been playing and collecting since I was 12.

RE: Squiers - early 80s (Japanese-made are better than others) or recent Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified are the only ones you should ever grab unless they're a crazy one-off like the one Nataku found. If I had found that, i would have been pumped. NEVER EVER pick up Squier Bullet Stratocasters. They are complete garbage that will take forever to sell for $50.

Also, if you sell it, spell it Squier and not Squire unless you want someone to find it on typohound. Squiers are never going to be home runs but the newer Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang/Thinline models will sell for close to retail.

Again, feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever need any buying advice and I'll do my best.

7 people like this.
  18. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Well-Known Member

Damn @SpooPoker you probably have more Ralph Lauren shit than Ralph Lauren.

2 people like this.
  19. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

PS - oh shit whaddup

[​IMG]

25 people like this.
  20. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

Picked up 4 nice vintage knit ties today. Free to a good home.
    L to R)
    Polo - mercerized cotton (Made in Italy)
    Brooks Brothers - wool, mohair, alpaca (Made in England)
    Cable Car Clothiers - wool mohair (Made in England)
    Polo - mercerized cotton (Made in Italy)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THEY ARE ALL CLIP-ONS!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.