1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

oh geez...are those chukkas available?

2. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Well-Known Member

As many others have said, I didn't know Brian personally, but he always seemed like a pretty wonderful dude.

It's amazing to see/feel the sense of community in this thread, regardless of what situation brings it to the forefront. Everyone who posts here and helps to build that is a stand-up person, in my opinion.

Haven't found a lot lately, but I liked the "first item thrifted" question.

I've been going to flea markets and thrifts as long as I can remember, but the very first thing I recall actually thrifting was a Pro-Tec BMX helmet for like $1-2 when I was 12 or so. I wanted one so badly from seeing them everywhere in magazines. Oddly enough, I ended up frequenting the same store as an adult until it closed.

Keep knocking the finds out of the park! I mostly watch from the sidelines now.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Well-Known Member

Just for the photo. The tongue wouldn't stay up, although maybe shoe trees in sneakers isn't a bad idea. I think I have more shoe trees than dress shoes thanks to thrifting.

4. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

My first thrift item was definitely American Eagle. I have no idea what it was, but I was a fucking stoked high school kid.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Glass table @330CK

2 people like this.
  6. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Cheaney?
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Woofa

Woofa Well-Known Member

Fun after work thrifting today.
    First, this is the most famous name I have seen at a thrift.
    [​IMG]
    On a hickey orphan.
    Two purchases:
    These orvis could not have been worn more than once.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pretty heavy. Not sure what they are, not mocs or boat shoes.
    And the big find. In my top five thrifts so far. This is definitely n/a.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pure sex!!!

16 people like this.
  8. rhyme

rhyme Well-Known Member

SuSu
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First time finding Silk pants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@SpooPoker what do you think. Upton or Anderson?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  9. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Well-Known Member

@MJMcRibb

Sanders, I think.

1 person likes this.
  10. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct! Thanks!

11. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

With his extreme old man sleep schedule, he could possibly be down and out for the evening. I can be of help, of course you feel free to confirm was the man arises from his slumber.....

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Woofa

Woofa Well-Known Member

Well. Looks like those are gokey sauvage for orvis. Pop on gokey!

1 person likes this.
  13. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Sorry for this but it seems as though he just overlooked it or didn't catch it, either way, Spoo only decided to rip half the band aid off. I guess I'll take the other. Ferragamo is 10000% Anderson when she had like 2000 CCs or some shit. The color of the tag is pretty close for vintage. Thats all they got right.

14. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

First thrift store I ever walked in. My first thrift store find from that very thrift on that very day. Isaia Napoli Aquacashmere. June 2014.

1 person likes this.
  15. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

One of my favorite exchanges with Brian involved his less-than-serious request for @eazye to make him some "assless chaps."

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist when I found a pair of these things at a local thrift for $5. Brian had recently bought a tie from me so I still had his address. And then....

[​IMG]

This served as a great icebreaker to a friendship. He would ask advice on shipping supplies and packaging. I would pick his formidable brain for advice on photography issues.

He was too damn young. What a fucking waste of a promising future. [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  16. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14 people like this.
  17. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

Funny I just found a BttF repro the other day which was sitting in front of a Raiders of the Lost Ark repro. Got so excited and then so let down when I looked closely.

the style is called waterfall. Maybe Pace, but I think they're mosfly brass and glass.Unless it's etched or signed by hand, it's pretty much impossible to pin down a maker--especially if your aim is to sell, in which case you have to say "attributed to" to save your ass. Also--if your aim is to sell, avoid any chips or cracks--it can be fixed by cutting away the damage, but it'll probably suck out any profit. One more thing--looks like an end table size. To sell, unless it's a super rare or outlandish piece, end tables only really sell well in pairs. How well furniture sells can be trend-dependent, varying by area. Waterfall (mostly in lucite) sells very well here but may be hard to give away in another part of the country.

Anyway, definitely a cool piece for personal use, especially at that price.

6 people like this.
  18. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Thought I made it clear, starting with my first post stating the answer to the original inquiry "is this anything" .... To which I replied that no it was not anything however I will gladly make it something in regards to purchasing the bespoke, because I like to collect it

I try to make it simple and let you know that making the effort that I am very familiar with, to post it all to the thread, when you already had a buyer site unseen, was a waste of time for yourself, and postin to the thread only would result in me wasting my time having to find this post.

You searched google for an hour and you came up with absolutely nothing. I assumed you searched ebay too for sales also an whatever other resource you may have thought of. I don't do business by taking advantage of people, if I knew anything I would have said that before all else. I was offering to make you some money for a niche good with zero market except for the few others out there I'm assuming exist who also enjoy collecting bespoke from around the world. Good luck with them..

19. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Bacon ipsum dolor amet shank biltong beef sirloin, picanha spare ribs prosciutto doner bacon hamburger boudin. Turducken pastrami chicken spare ribs, pork belly chuck filet mignon strip steak turkey beef. Alcatra boudin ground round pancetta picanha chuck jerky sirloin. Doner jowl beef ham, capicola bacon turducken biltong sausage kielbasa short loin frankfurter cupim pastrami. Shoulder flank jowl shankle frankfurter meatball.

Tri-tip pork chop cupim drumstick meatball short loin bresaola flank strip steak boudin prosciutto biltong pork loin. Corned beef pork loin ham beef tenderloin fatback, ground round tri-tip pancetta. Prosciutto corned beef pork loin flank kielbasa rump, pig swine capicola jowl. Porchetta brisket sirloin, swine pork boudin leberkas strip steak shank cow. Ground round doner tail, meatball landjaeger ham shoulder turducken shankle corned beef pork chop alcatra. Porchetta t-bone pig kielbasa cupim capicola frankfurter pork loin beef. Kielbasa turkey short loin turducken, sirloin bacon strip steak.

Leberkas ground round pork salami swine prosciutto jowl filet mignon spare ribs landjaeger bresaola. Pork belly ball tip brisket leberkas, flank sausage prosciutto. Turkey t-bone drumstick jowl meatloaf venison salami brisket. Cow short ribs tail beef flank salami, ham hock rump beef ribs tri-tip. Biltong cow tail bresaola, pig cupim tenderloin pork belly venison andouille fatback frankfurter.

Cow salami chicken doner short loin biltong, cupim jerky landjaeger drumstick picanha turkey pork. Pork t-bone biltong porchetta swine. Tri-tip drumstick boudin meatloaf, cow shankle tongue spare ribs pancetta chicken landjaeger. Andouille pancetta hamburger, frankfurter corned beef short loin pork chop bresaola flank sausage. Tenderloin porchetta short loin ball tip filet mignon chuck tail drumstick jerky spare ribs picanha capicola. Jerky pig sirloin tenderloin pork cupim t-bone andouille swine beef jowl pork chop alcatra pork loin. Prosciutto pig chicken porchetta leberkas andouille, strip steak tongue meatloaf landjaeger venison flank pastrami salami hamburger.

Jowl bacon ham tenderloin beef rump kielbasa meatloaf turducken. Tongue ham jerky ham hock meatloaf alcatra flank pork chop spare ribs. Tenderloin spare ribs chicken shankle, landjaeger short ribs bresaola. Beef pork loin boudin pork belly spare ribs salami leberkas turkey frankfurter fatback alcatra ham tail.

15 people like this.
  20. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

I can't remember the first thing I ever thrifted. For years I went to thrift stores for basics and Halloween costumes (possibly being that guy turning a grail into a zombie suit.)

I do remember the first item that turned a surprising amount of money. Before I joined this thread I sold a lot of BB and Jcrew, and then I tried selling this weird named Italian shirt. An Ermenegildo Zegna soft band collar shirt wound up with a bidding war that ended around $70, and I got hooked on flipping.

2 people like this.