1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

My problem with Linda is every coat looks black, her pictures suck ass. As well, she's really shitty at describing condition.

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Well, if you have this same minimally constructed tri-patch beaut, I would not really consider it an orphan, I would think of it more like the better half of an open marriage.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    3 people like this.
  3. Bahljs

Bahljs Well-Known Member

Is this available sir?

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

This is not necessarily a bad thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. klay49

klay49 Well-Known Member

Agreed, just ethrifted a brooks brothers 1818 Madison suit with "no flaws" from her. First thing I saw when I took it out of the box was a nice hole in the back of the jacket

6. Dirt

Dirt Well-Known Member

7. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

25 watchers? If that goes for close to $100, I would be surprised.

Edited to clarify for people who cannot understand context, to add: These will go for much more than $100.

8. Takai

Takai Well-Known Member

+1

1 person likes this.
  9. Dirt

Dirt Well-Known Member

Oh, damn. I have only been looking on mobile and it doesn't show watchers. Nevermind...CARRY ON!

10. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

Linda's Stuff definitely creates a buyers market.

11. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

But probably not the kind of buyers market she needs for her clients.

1 person likes this.
  12. div25sec9

div25sec9 Well-Known Member

Blue bins is way better than yours? Do you just throw things in piles on the floor, because I'm sure that's the only way it gets worse.

Imagine looking for something in those bins. Isle 4, row 3, 3rd bin down, about 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the bin?

Large production numbers does not equal quality. I may be small time at the moment; but my setup is designed for efficiency, care of the product, and being prepared for growth. Items are assigned an inventory number once they are received, measured (using a tailor's measure), photographed, suits and blazers placed in dry cleaning bags to protect, shirts and pants hung, shoes placed in cloth bags and boxed, etc. Whether I have 500 pieces or 50,000 in the future; my process will be the same. The hanging racks will just be longer.

I'm not even going to start on the photography, with simple things such as white balance and light levels...

2 people like this.
  13. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Yes.

9 people like this.
  14. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

no lie, i had thought of travelling the U.S, just to put cards in pockets,saying "Vader was here". - on all O' your turfs. [​IMG]

you need the real hookup. hit me up.

1 person likes this.
  15. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

In the middle of a mini-JC Ludlow thriftening. Carry on...

3 people like this.
  16. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

17. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

In what world would this not be a bad thing? When photograph clarity and quality are far and away teh most important part of every listing and what truly sell your item over all else, how in the hell do you conclude that thi is not necessarily a bad thing? I'm very curious.

0 quality control and horrible/shit item descriptions that instill zero faith in teh buyer, another easy flaw to fix that I didn't mention.

Those would be an excellent deal however the issue is the resale is fucked cuz they've been hemmed. I actually own a pair of the 301s unsanforized 22 ounces and they are fair and away teh best fittingf jeans I own...medium rise, wide thighs from all my years of catching, but super slim taper below the knee and small ankle opening, truly perfect...well those and my DH 19 cms.

If you concluded this because of the fact that they have been altered then good call. If not read up on premium Japanese denim. These are limited production runs sold exclusively through Self edge, they are released only twice a year. They retail for 425 if you can get your hands on them, and thats the price I gladly paid for mine which are slightly different cuz I prefer unsanforizeed denim. If these were unaltered bidding would be goin for at least 200 easy..... I sold a pair of used black selvege SBG Iron hearts I spilled whiting tooth paste on that totallly bleached the black denim for just under 3 bills, retail being 4 flat.

I know you know your shit so I'm fairly sure you came to your conclusion the same as I

If you look at the menswear inventory levels you will be able to see that Lindas Stuff does not create any market. Women's yes, but not taking about that division. She prices too high for flippers to want to buy and too high for her only clientele base, the absolutely cheapest of the cheap on ebay who will forgo all assurances of quality and everything and just hope its ok just to pinch some pennies. She prices 15 year old Zegna suits for 40 bucks more than 5 year old ones. She charges 300 bucks from shit designer brand suits that make total crap strictly based on their name, showing she has nobody working for her that has a fucking clue how the resale menswear market works. All it does it create a stockpile of ever growing inventory that is just guaranteed to be grossly mislisted, totallly underssoledd, and most like going to a person who without putting their shoes on just came up on something for 35% ioff that within 20 minutes after they open the package will have it relisted on ebay for 2-'2.5 times as much at least...cuz honestly who would ever bother purchasing anything from her unless it was during one of her 35% off sales anyway. It's not like that shit you want is gonna sell. .

No. Fucking. Shit.

I bought a brand new label, unworn Ermenegildo Zegna 2015 Couture XXX line Pure cashmere blazer off of her for just under 100 bucks. If you go on the site you will notice the same exact garment, however this one being a cashmere suit but the same donor, and it being priced at 1100, it was not that price originally....I don't think homie was pleased with what I paid for his shit...Or that I flipped it for over 6x what I paid. She list Brioni cashmere blazers without cashmere in the title, she list Brioni Super 180s suits without super 180s in the title, She lists Oxxford Suits under the store they were made for and when she does get it right and lists them as being Oxxford, obviously she's gonna fuck this up too, cuz not a single one of them has two XX's. The more I think about it the more it honeslty just frustrates me, she is just truly fucking horrible.

The more inventory you find your self accumulating, the more you will start needin gto find ways to maximize storage potential in your work space. When this day comes, you will find yourself in the Container store, buying multiple, stackable bins, in sizes of roughly 64 gallons or 110 gallons. These bins will be your're friends. The fact that she uses plastic bins is by far the least of her issues. I mean an operation of her size not working with a SKu systems is abslutely shocking to me, but hey it's linda so why shoud it be, but I currently have about 6 or 7 stacked 64 gallo bins holding about 20 sweaters each, 3 110 gallon bins with all my pants that I don't have haning, neatly folded and stored in them, I have probably 25 or 30 smaller bins that I have numbered and synced to an Excel sheet for tie inventory and organization...obvioulsy I wouldn't in a million years start tossing sport coats and suits in the things, But I have I think at least 9 full racks or so dedicated strctly to those, having the room to be able to roam freely and operate due to the helping hand of the plastic bin and all the glorious things they do. Once your inventory levels start to spike, you too will seek the helping and embracing hands of a well constructed, large sized stackable plastic bin as well....and hoestly hers are like 40 gallon, if her employees cant find a certain piece in one of those things they are most likely retarted or something is at least pretty fucked as far as their brain chemistry is concerend. But yes, and honestly, I don't even think her balance is necessarily off, it's that her lighting system is so fucking dark, that you can't actually see what the colors are, so in reality, you really can't tell if she needs to adjust her color balance. But the simple fact that she hasn't realized and gone ahead and simply purchased a brighter fucking lighting system, is absolutely fucking insane. Flat out, just leaves me fucking speechless. Just another fucking factor to support my opriginal argument. Linda isn't shit but a women who got lucky and essentiallly tripped and fell and wound up with a fucking business opportunity gift wrappd with a bow on top sittting under the Goddamn Christmas tree.

Spoo one day decided that he was going to start a company called LueSwap. This was going to be his consignment business that he would list only premium goods on a consistent weekly basis at 10 auctions, starting Every thursday, Ending every Sunday. This is called a business plan, a vision, a goal, seeing an opportunty and fucking following through with what you see as something that can truly be a succesful endeavor. This business, goes without saying, has turned out to do quite well for Spoo, needless to say he deseerves it with teh 100 hour work weeks he fucking pulls, but regardless, this is an example of someone who deserves respect for their business acumen, for identifying a market void or a opportunity that they believed they could do better than others, someone calculating the risks, knowing the work its going to entail, putting in that work, cutting no edges, doing exactly what it takes and building the business it what it is today, soon to be an actual fucking Brick and Mortar about 5 years or so (I may be off here by one or two) later. This is an individual you can look at and respect and express admiration for, whether it be his vision, him starting it from nothing, his ability to grow it to a worldwide clientele base, to (I think Gross 7 figures roughly annually?) up to this point, a long with so many other small aspects or whatever. Vision, innovation, originality, growth, expansion, further growth, higher returns, more clientele, better product, people from all over the world, to eventually being interveied in every write up about the second hand market there is, needless to mention the famous Ferrari piece, but displaying perfectly how to grow a business from nothing to something. Think of Spoo and all the fucking work he puts in on a weekly basis, the fact he gets up lie 230 etc.. now think of Linda. I don't give a shit if her annual gross is 100x that of Luxe Swap, there will never be a day in my life that I will ever have a single ounce of respect or admiration for her busiiness and/or company. Those two are essentially the exact opposite in every way possible. She fucking sucks. He does not fucking suck. Right there is a perfect example that should quite clearly put things into perspective. Her inventory levels are 15x that of Spoo daily...yet annually grossing just 25x more than a one man operation? The fact that she actually was featured on TV all but solidifis ones thing, that she has been reassured shes doing great and absolutely nothing will be changing anytime soon. Her entire company is an embarassment and a black mark on this industry that we deal in, the fact that she can be that successful while also probably having an extremely subpar IQ, at least as far as simple analytical thought, problem solving ability, observational thinking as well as comprehending said observations,, etc....are concerend....you know stuff we're toaught how start doing in English in like the 4th grade....is nothing more than embarassing. She is fucking horrible.

A side note, it sounds like you take great pride and excellent care of your inventory, but you're putting yourself through a lot of unecessary trouble. If you're storing in a warm damp area, yea I'd recommened a breathable large suit rack cover, otherwise, just hang the things, their made of wool and are for the most part are quite durable and have no need for a bag to cover each onel, Racks are good for shirts, but you'll eventually see that you'll want the rack space that your pants are taking up. Maintain the crease and neatly folded and stored and they will be perfect, this will clear up a lot of room for you for jackets and suits. Also, just a recommendation, but they make shoe racks that store roughly 60 pairs or so, probably very similar to ones you've seen in some of the thrifts you frequent. I bought one of these and just put the thing up against the wall and it's great. No need to box and store shoes, all easily accessible and stored neatly and the rack only sticks out about 10 inches tops, with the individual bars angled down to minimize amount this measurement, and,they're pretty cheap too. Just keep a quality horsehair brush on hand and before you package a pair, give them a solid buffing and you're good to go. I respect your respect for your clothing, I truly do, but I'm just letting you know that although you are taking extra steps to be sure of their protection and safety, your spending a lot of time doing stuff you'll soon wonder why you ever bothered with.

3 people like this.
  18. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

Wrong thread.more finds less jibber jabber please.

7 people like this.
  19. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

well fact being that most are either at work or in the feild, I felt it was fair adding 2 cents to the 10 or so other people.... on this thread.... who are also partaking in giving their opinions on the matter as well, but I've said all I need, point made

20. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

I'd cop regardless price or item...best and by far most expsneive practical joke for what youd be actually doing possible, but shit that be funny.

2 people like this.