1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. dukedishin

dukedishin Well-Known Member

Agree with this. If you find any of their cruiser jackets, pick it up without hesitation. Sold a damaged one for $140 last year.

2. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

pendleton "lebowski" cowichan sweaters = $$$

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Shit, I'd sell Board Shirts all day every day if I could get my hands on enough of them...

2 people like this.
  4. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

ftfy!

2 people like this.
  5. Chotii

Chotii Well-Known Member

I guess I wouldn't know a Board Shirt if I saw one. What makes it a Board Shirt?

Regardless, even shrunk-to-hell or moth-riddled Pendleton *men's* shirts here still get priced into the stratosphere. It's the Miss Pendleton and Pendleton wool skirt suits and women's blazers that we have in profusion. And as I say, I leave them hanging. I do find all kinds of Pendleton throws and blankets, though. Even baby blankets. It seems to be a niche that local non-flippers just don't look at much. Only problem is storage - blankets are very bulky.

6. sashae

sashae Well-Known Member

Oh random question for Filson heads. I picked up a double mackinaw jacket for self use, and the sleeves are seemingly relatively short -- like 23-24" maybe? Is that normal? I have long-ish arms (like 25.5") so it's a bit odd, I'd figure the jacket would cover up to the wrists for warmth.

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Work has been sucking out my very soul lately, so I have a few things to post this weekend. Thanks to everyone that's been posting, it's a nice distraction reading along. If I owe you a PM, I'll do my best to read them this weekend!

In the meantime, and thoroughly not thrift related, I got one of these emails this week. I forgot they existed:

[​IMG]

I decided to respond. You can follow the chat in the spoiler. My question, though, is where should I take this? I'd love to somehow get them to send me something small, though that's unlikely. Any ideas? Sort of a "you choose the ending" story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  8. Chotii

Chotii Well-Known Member

I think I would request durable power of attorney. Once they have given you that, you'll talk.

9. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a thing on a friends long defunct website but saved by archive.org

https://web.archive.org/web/20060217014732/http://www.doubleindemnity.net/shoe.html

10. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

Thank you for that, that was highly amusing. I would probably ask them details about their life to see what kind of stuff would be woven together.

11. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

My sister calls me today, she lives out of state.

"Im at a thrift store and am looking at a couple suits...One is from France. Yves Saint Laurent but looks pretty old."

I say, "yeah pass on that one."

She continues, "Here's another one. I'm not sure how you pronounce it....K
    I...T...O...N.."

KITON

"How much?" I say

The lady who works here is checking for me. I tell her don't act too excited but thats one of the best
    in the world.

"$45, the lady says"

"Buy it" I say

"Will send it you ya tomorrow", my wonderful sister says!!!

:slayer:

20 people like this.
  12. colorvision

colorvision Well-Known Member

Google 'church of the painted breast' and you shall find your answer.

13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pendleton+board+shirt

14. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

Picked this up. I've seen you guys rave on Pendleton so I grabbed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. Chotii

Chotii Well-Known Member

Okay, I deserved that one. ;) In my defense, people on eBay tend to keyword spam, so that simply looking at the shirts so tagged wasn't telling me anything. Nor were the labels on the shirts. And that's what I tried first: *looking* at them to see if I could tell what made those shirts 'board shirts'.

1 person likes this.
  16. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

LOLZ... the Board Shirt has been made continuously since at least the 1950s, and is still quite popular with fans of surf culture, thanks to the Beach Boys wearing them on some of their album covers (the original name of the band was The Pendletones).

This album cover photo (from Surfer Girl -1963) shows the most popular colorway... I have a repro of this one from a few years ago. Vintage versions are sought after.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Absolutely hilarious, Hans.

Unles i'm misunderstading, I think you have this backwards. A durable power of attorney is the very LAST thing you'd want to give these folks.

If she lives in Connecticut, I'm not a fan. (Kidding!)

18. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Well-Known Member

I agree with @Fueco on those board shirts, I have a similar "Camp Fire Shirt" and aside from the short sleeves its one of my favorite shirts I own. But does anyone else not have luck in selling their standard/thinner shirts? I pick them up on occasion and they never seem to go for much, even in some staple patterns.

19. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I usually only pick up styles that are in demand, unless I can get them super cheap... Board Shirts and Gambler shirts are the ones I've done best with. If you find stuff from the Thomas Kay collection, they can do fairly well. My favorite shirt is one from that collection which I picked up at the outlet store in Bend, OR in 2014.

Fireside Shirts and Sir Pendletons can do okay, if they are in mint condition.

20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Oh, and to actually answer your question...

Board Shirts have a loop collar top button, a straight waistline hem, and two flap pockets. Some models/years actually have a tag which identifies the shirt as a Board Shirt (or Board Shirt Jac). They're designed to be worn as a light overshirt/jacket over a lightweight shirt (normally a t-shirt for me). I rocked my inner Beach Boy just yesterday...

Here are some pictures of the one I picked up yesterday (this is current label):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]