1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Well-Known Member

I've got a ton of posts to catch up on but wanted to throw out a quick post.

Hug your pets tonight for me. My fiance and I picked up our dog, at the age of 7, from the Humane Society 5 years ago when we had only been dating for two week (terrible idea, I know, but it worked out). In the past 5 years she went through a discovery of intense food allergies, tooth extraction surgery, and 2 cancerous mammary gland tumor removals. On Friday we discovered, after noticing she had lost some weight and was having some breathing/coughing issues, that the cancer had spread to her lungs significantly. Aside from extensive chemotherapy, which we didn't want to put her through at her age, there was not much that could be done, so we ultimately decided to put her down last night. She always had a trust issue with me (as a male, abusive past owners) which caused me to take for granted some time with her, but I urge you all to cherish every moment you have with your loved one, furry or otherwise.

[​IMG]

Also...... Sorta Thrift Pic
    Jacket - Thrifted Vintage Stafford Tweed
    Shirt - Brooks Brothers (about 45% off retail)
    Pants - Levi 501 STF (retail)
    Shoes - Cole Haan Single Monk (Zappos Warehouse)
    Watch - Vintage Brooks Brothers ($4 on eBay) Brooks Brothers Repp Stripe #1 Nato Strap (retail)
    Belt - Custom Etsy Bridle

Took off work today to clear our minds and do some (less than) retail therapy. Went to Nordstrom Rack and scored a Patagonia down jacket for 30% of the original retail msrp and some Brooks Running Heritage Sneakers for 50% of retail.

14 people like this.
  2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

:( Hang in there... she was a cute pup. Putting her down instead of putting her through a ton more pain and discomfort was the right choice.

2 people like this.
  3. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

My favorite conversation was yesterday when I found the rolling papers and baggy in the PRL tweed at the cash register. The Navy vet behind me said, "too bad it wasn't $50!" "Well sir, funny you say that ..."

Happened to me with a no-name Harris Tweed SC (probably JCPenney or some random defunct brand) yesterday. Should be $8 or $10 max. Manager priced it at $20. Cashier tried to sell me on it, "it's 100% virgin wool made in Scotland!"

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhhhh fuck that!!!!!!!!!! It would have been hard for me to not go full on hood on her ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why when I find stuff I think were miss priced, I keep my mouth shut and camp at that store!

5. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Normally I wouldn't have said anything and would have just bought it as quick as I could, but this manager has been super cool in the past. I'd ask her if there were any records in the back room, then she'd wheel a cart out with a bunch of them in it. She'd let me know if there was a rack coming out with suits on it, etc. That's what caught me off guard. She's the last person I would think would do that. That's also part of the reason I didn't say or do anything. She's been good to me in the past.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Well, in that case she gets a pass. But just one.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Which tailor? Sick lapels!
    Halliburton is sick!
    Man, I am very sorry. You are in my thoughts and my most sincere condolences to you.

8. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

If youre selling working vintage omegas with original bracelettes for $60 then ur doing it wrong and I will buy every single one you have

1 person likes this.
  9. vexco

vexco Well-Known Member

He was making a reference to Storage Wars.

1 person likes this.
  10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a vintage seamaster for a really long time. I just don't know enough about their maintenance etc and don't want to end up getting a watch that's going to require hundreds to get it to work right. I love how simple they are.

1 person likes this.
  11. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

I watch it i know thats a Daryl quote but i thpught he was implying its only sixty bucks.my bad

12. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Best wishes

13. dukedishin

dukedishin Well-Known Member

X post from B/S/W thread but I have a dark blue denim shirt from Uniqlo size M that I'll let go for thrift cost + ship. Ended up being too small for me.

Oh, and pop on J Press Donegal Mist today, finally!

1 person likes this.
  14. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Been a slow last few days.

Willis & Geiger
    [​IMG]
    Seemingly unworn Cole Haan tennis balls for your feet
    [​IMG]
    first shell in a while, but Nunn Bush[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canali
    [​IMG]
    Lo
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  15. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  16. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

@AlexJ1100, I am so sorry for you and your wife. I'm glad yu got a good long time with her abd were able to give her a place where she could feel safe and loved.

17. OolongT

OolongT Well-Known Member

18. Randomore

Randomore Well-Known Member

@AlexJ1100 My condolences. I know it's hard as I recently went through a similar situation as did a lot of folks on the forums.

19. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

My size, too. If they weren't unworn, I take these babies for a spin to work on Friday. Super comfy!

20. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Mezlan Beaters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crispy Hanover PTB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't resist tweed shoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suede Desert Boots