1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Well-Known Member

I too am a fan of blue bottle. Every now and then I'll grab a bag from stumptown as well. I've tried a few different brewing methods but a simple pour over does the trick for me.

2. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Oh and your plated ones won't do you much good at a jeweler, they do scratch tests, and when the gold diminishes, they're no real value to them unless you can find out a mens jeweler who may be in the market to buy these types of items, but that means the value of those are derived from the gold plating and the brand name so eBay is your best and probably only bet with those. Oh, my apologies, my terminology is lacking in this field, I figured gold filled meant they weren't plated and were fully 14k buttons. Mine were 18K solid.

3. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

The guy was confused and didn't understand why someone would make and buy suit buttons of pure gold, thought they had to be cufflinks or something

4. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

More MCM...
    #mcmmondays

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    5 people like this.
  5. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Well-Known Member

Talking moka pots and French presses, found these today:
    [​IMG]

Alessi 8 cup French press.
    [​IMG]
    Italian moka pot, dunno the maker but it's really nice, well made and makes excellent coffee.

6 people like this.
  6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

You've got a ton of responses, but I thought I'd chime in. Nespresso is actually amazing coffee. They care very deeply about the coffee they put in the capsules and their machines are made to make the best of the brew. That would be baby steps from Kuerig to the world of grind your own bean coffee. I'm working with the Chemex Ottomatic right now and it's pretty great (process, still have to figure out the right beans for it). We have Nespresso for one shot/backup.

1 person likes this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I used to love having an espresso machine. Harder to come by one right now unfortunately as a student. I might make that plunge sometime though. I loved making americano's as well. That's pretty much what I drink.

I end up making them with a moka pot sometimes anyway.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Re: the plated ones, yeah I've sold plenty of those on eBay and already knew that's what I'd be doing with them.
    Ben Silver gold-filled are only 1/20th 14k (which are what I have, and probably not even worth scrapping for melt value). They also sell solid 14k, which are the $4,000 sets - when you said a guy was selling a set on eBay I was gonna jump all over them but they were only 14k gold filled. One day, I will find solid!

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Baratza Encore is a good starter in the range of nicer grinders. $130-140 new, or $99 refurbished on Baratza's web site when they have them in stock.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

1/20th, definitely not worth it. Not only is the percentage minimal but I figure that labor needs to be factored in during the melt process to separate the metals from one another, opposed to simply melting one solid pure metal, which most likely factors into their price also. I'd just take 2 or 3 photographs of each, Full Shot, Closer detailed imaged of buttons, and the back of one, and then just mass list all of of them with essentially a sentence description which is all that's necessary, and undercut the other sellers by a little and just unload that way.

11. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

Black fleece trifecta today...
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  12. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

Kanye meets homeschooler:

[​IMG]

(This jacket is so bad ass, 100% cashmere, tons of pick stitching and handwork, thrifted for 13 bucks)

14 people like this.
  13. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Well-Known Member

You know who should be paid a lot more than they are in these non-profits? The people who actually work at fundraising. I do understand the need to have a CEO at the top that knows how to run a massive organization and they should be paid well for doing it. What I have observed is that the CEO is paid well and there are a whole lot of folks lower down the totem pole that are out there raising the money to fund the organization that are not well paid. I have seen this in organizations where I am a board member, or non-profit clients of mine, or through friends and family.

1 person likes this.
  14. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

15. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Fugazi

4 people like this.
  16. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Conference fit. Tie by @MJMcRibb Thriftmas Collection. Hermes square from the other day.

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  17. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Usually stay as far away from thrifts as possible on big sale days. Decided to just bite the bullet today, Glad I did. Found these, despite the place being a complete zoo.

First Sammy is absolutely amazing. Feels like a cashmere blend. All are probably from the same donor. 44 L.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2014 Adrian Jules tweed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

54 people like this.
  18. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Well-Known Member

Holy shit Nat

1 person likes this.
  19. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

The Thrifting tm

1 person likes this.
  20. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Well-Known Member

Today was a good day. Always check the wimminz section!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17 people like this.