1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. MikeChevelle

MikeChevelle Well-Known Member

2. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

In furniture/design, Mid-Century Modern.

1 person likes this.
  3. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Well-Known Member

Much obliged Sir!

1 person likes this.
  4. MikeChevelle

I need to get some pics up, but what do you think a Christian Dior 100% Cashmere trench topcoat is worth?

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Don't do this.

This post belongs in the eBay thread, but asking there shouldn't keep you from doing your homework by looking at eBay completed listings.

Also, the answer is "it depends."

6. MikeChevelle

Ok will do, I can never find a completed listing for it though....

7. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Your photos are good and interesting. You didn't ask for feedback on these finds, but my response will likely be a little more gentle than some.

These shoes are not really something most of us would brag about. When I started doing this, I would be excited by these finds too. So, we have all been there. If you read over the thread and learn and try your hand at this whole hobby/business/lifestyle you will learn too. Here is one caveat, if you like them and they are for personal use, then by all means get them. But, nearly all the posters on here would pass on all of these except the Allen Edmonds.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    3 people like this.
  8. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

It's been cold and slow so far this week

Fueco - know anything about this piece, other than its pretty cool?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full pic of the Filson x Levi's I found the other week
    [​IMG]

22 people like this.
  9. MikeChevelle

100% understand, either way though for $6 per pair its not a bad deal. I know I have a lot of learning to "do" and plan on soaking in what I can. Just need to find a place that isn't "stuffy" if you know what I mean.

10. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

@Nataku is the resident expert on Gerry. [​IMG]

But it does look cool to me, though I cannot tell you the vintage of it.

11. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member

At $0/pair it's still a bad deal. When you hit as many shops with the knowledge that most in this thread have you'll pass on stuff due to condition, popularity in eBay, even if it's a nice shoe (such as a lesser-known AE model).

Some might call it "stuffy" but Styleforum CM as a whole leans toward the high-end, well-crafted clothing and shoes. There is another forum that I won't name that might be more suited toward what you are posting.

12. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Swb, pretty sure that's called a shirt jacket and is from the early 80's.

13. dukedishin

dukedishin Well-Known Member

That in and of itself is an answer of sorts.

1 person likes this.
  14. dukedishin

dukedishin Well-Known Member

Dang sorry about the double post, but @Fueco when they have logos on them like that are we not supposed to pass? Saw a really nice Patagonia piece the other day from some bowl game. EUC but figured the extra logos would kill it.

15. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Ha, I actually told him to buy it. Was hoping it was a L and would fit me! I've been after one of these (a down shirt in general) for a long time. It's a quilted down shirt. Probably late 70's-very early 80's. Crescent Down Works makes one that I've been lusting after, but way out of my price range.

http://www.crescentdownworks.com/prod_DownShirt.html

16. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Depends on how generic the logo is and how desirable the piece is. This one should sell because it's sort of a generic cause that any self-respecting Patagoniac should support. That being said, I sold an Arc'teryx fleece a few days ago that had a company logo on it. It sold for $45, not exactly chump change for something I paid $6something for.

I also sold a Snap-T that had embroidery from a specific ice skating event from 20+ years ago, that also had the skater's name on it. Of course, the skater was a multiple Olympic medalist in ice dancing, so there was that... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. MikeChevelle

We all started somewhere.............

5 people like this.
  18. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Yeah Nataku told me to kop, I was hoping for a model name. Kinda on the fence about keeping it, like Nat I've been lusting after CDW for ages, but I'm not willing to shell out for it. Thanks guys!

2 people like this.
  19. Nobleprofessor

I just saw this response. Sorry for the second post asking about it. I do not want them for myself. I have too much in my house already. But, thank you for the info.

20. Nobleprofessor

SHIT! Sorry for the double post! I am the worst at that. I get on a roll and respond to posts a little too fast!

Having been on another forum that tends to have a more TRADitional feel to it, I can definitely say that this forum is certainly not stuffy! Its one of the things I love about this forum and this group of people. While we occasionally have a few spats, for the most part it seems that everyone likes seeing other people find amazing stuff and is excited when someone posts a wall full of awesome finds. There is also a great mentoring/teaching feel to the forum. BUT, a lot of the learning and mentoring happens as a sideline or through PM, or even just by reading and learning.