1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

This just isn't true. Yes the profit margins are much higher on suits and blazers and such but the time taken in that process and the time taken with ties differs greatly. Ties need two measurements and a title and a couple pictures and thats it, listing is done. You just made 10x initial investment in about 7 minutes of total work, 20 bucks for 7 minutes isn't a bad payment plan. Suits need one or two things, detailed description, or detailed photographs, or both if you choose, a long with that you need precise and lengthy list of measurements to post as well as take. Were talkin at least 13-14 pictures, description, measurements, different angles for photos, different items for photos etc...A tie you tie in a knot and take 4 pictures barely moving it or yourself and your done. You also need to merchandise your suit properly so it looks presentable since selling an item depends so greatly on quality of photos. For every suit you could have 5-6 ties listed.

Edit: I did forget one key thing, don't bother buying or listing ties that are completely oversaturated on ebay because you won't get shit for them and yes, they will not be worth your time.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Chotii

Chotii Well-Known Member

About that Haze Mink coat:

The pelts were small, but it might have been made from the pelts of female mink, which are considerably smaller than the males and whose pelts can sell for more than males because they're lighter weight and make lighter clothing.

Mink are now commercially bred in a bazillion colors that are simply genetic mutations from the wild dark brown. Here are a few:

1 person likes this.
  3. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Well-Known Member

Well I bought it to go with this jacket and I would say it's a darn good match. Thank you she's in good hands it's a great shirt. Now I just have to wait for summer.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. freehand

freehand Well-Known Member

Hey Eazye, there's a very friendly Foster & Son thread, I'd post pics there and they'll certainly tell you what you have. The manager of the Jermym St shop posts there and is very happy to help.

5. freehand

freehand Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  6. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. I've done some research since I was in the store. Looks like it's not the slam dunk I had hoped (and it might sit around for a while), but there's definitely room to make money.

Agreed, I exaggerated a bit. What I was trying to say is that you have to factor in travel time and time-in-store along with listing and shipping time. For me, time is a huge issue. The more I get from one store, the better. However, this is not my main source of income. I have about 2-3 hours per day at most to spend doing this, and considering where the stores are located, this means I can only hit 2 stores a day... 3 if I'm lucky. If you do this full-time, I'm sure you have a different perspective.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Was goin through some old photos and found this one. Decided I was done with sneakers and they were just taking up room so I donated my entire collection. This is the last of that collection....all of it to the very same Salvation Army I currently take pleasure in pillaging..I obviously hadn't discovered the art of reselling clothing on ebay yet...

From whats visible: TWO pairs of unworn Jordan 4s, a pair of barely worn SpaceJam black patent Jordan 11s, Jordan 16s in black patent and the white leather 16s too, barely worn patent Bapes, and The "Sheeds" Rasheed Wallace edition high top patent AF1s, dunno what's beneath but you're welcome to whoever of you showed up the day they put this shit out on the shoe rack.... I now know this picture exists for the next grail I come up on and question the persons sanity for donating it... I was that guy once...

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  8. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Ha yea, you have no idea...time is money doing this as much, or if not, more than anything else out there

9. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

Are you shitting me?

You gave Space Jams away? [​IMG] I feel deflated.

Anyway, I've put my Valentino Boutique jacket on eBay now. If anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/172054073135?

10. JFST

JFST Well-Known Member

U should put measurements on ebay always[​IMG]

11. Purplelabel

I'll find a tape measure tonight then! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Yuup, and that picture was just the last of it. I mean 2 pairs of unworn 4s are crazy , those are my 3rd favorite Jordan, 2nd being the black patent Space Jams, and 1st the 8s partly because they were my very first pair when I was like 7 or something, and I know I donated two pairs of those also earlier, in the white colorway and the black with the aqua on the heel. I forgot what other Jordans I dumped, but I know the list includes a bunch of air max 95s and 90s, unworn dunks that were most likely limited hence not being worn and god knows what else. Unloaded em all without a penny in return.

1 person likes this.
  13. Purplelabel

Y'know, Jordan brand recently re-leased the aqua 8s. Looks pretty awesome.

I really want the Infrared 6s. Those are my favourite.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

The fucking Goyard is gonna have two thumbs and 8 other fingers on it shortly :hide:

7 people like this.
  15. Bahljs

Bahljs Well-Known Member

Deal; these are hideous and definitely not my style. All yours dude!

2 people like this.
  16. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Well-Known Member

Jompso... Yep that donation would have certainly ended up on here if anyone of us found it and then likely been nominated for the cheapies! Sometimes you do always wonder what is going through someone's mind when that stuff shows up. I'm sure you made someone very happy that day.

1 person likes this.
  17. Purplelabel

[​IMG]

Is this the most ugliest Richard James shirt ever?

18. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

This is good to know, thank you. I will contact them directly.

Thumbed. I must have totally missed that post while browsing on my phone. :sarcasm:

19. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

I thought you were a sneaker guy. They're GATs dude, German Army Trainers, they're like classic, iconic sneakers, how you a sneaker head and unfamiliar with GATs....regardless, these are the original iconic sneaker, but this variation is made out of horsehide and suede....they are the cordovan equivalent for sneakers...I'm just confused... I am going to respectively declare that although you and your fellow thumb uppers have the right to your opinions, you are all wrong and need to change your tastes to being better. Hope I've helped with that journey.

1 person likes this.
  20. Purplelabel

Adidas were created from GATs right?