1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. bpk1

bpk1 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same, not sure why they'd make a copy/fake and wear it out that significantly. Definitely going to have to get them checked out (need to find someone local to look them over), will update when I have more info!

Still need to get more info on that stash of fly rods I found a couple months back... eventually I'll get around to those too. Lol.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Sorry man. That's "Duck hunter" camo. Also known as "Beo Gam". Was widely used for hunting (obviously) but was also used by the ARVN in Vietnam. The solider had their folks back home buy them the camo stuff aimed for the civilian market from sporting goods stores, etc because at the time it was better than the plain OD green uniforms the military was supplying them with. They hadn't yet developed the ERDL camo pattern which came about in 1967-68. Even that stuff wasn't as widely circulated as the plain OD green jungle uniforms.

You're on the right track. The duck-hunter/beogam pattern was based off of the WWII reversible HBT camo (Herringbone Twill). This stuff is insanely rare and very valuable. I was fortunate enough to find a piece once (a full coverall suit). I was unfortunate enough to have that said piece stolen from my cart before I got to the checkout line. :fu: :fu: :fu:

Helpful hint. The good stuff is reversible (brown camo on one side and green on the other to adapt to whatever your surroundings were). It will also be made from herringbone twill fabric (easy tip for us menswear guys to remember).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    8 people like this.
  3. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Well-Known Member

Really enjoying the start I've had to my thrifting. Is it normal to think about it nearly all the time?! Haha. I wanna get back out there!

Having read about 300 pages now the strong sense of community and support here really comes across. Hopefully you can accept me 'into the fold' so to speak, even though my thrifting game is naturally a long way behind some of you guys.

Couple of questions:
    1. When you guys say things are 'available', do you sort of keep them off ebay or so you mean that of someone were interested you would send them the link to it or unlist it?
    2. Are there any unwritten rules about swapping/trades with others? I'd be really keen to trade things I've found with others, in order to get things for personal use. Is it just a case of putting shitloads of pictures up and someone taking a liking, then go from there?
    3. Are there many UK thrifters here like myself? Would be great to make some local-ish buddies.

Thanks.

4. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Ok, I lied, a polo cost is technically double breasted and belted with peak lapels. This one is single breasted and un-belted with notch lapels. I guess I got a little too excited. Cuffed and has those cool post box pockets though and big fat bellied lapels.

1 person likes this.
  5. JFST

JFST Well-Known Member

1. Available means that anyone can jump on it, in fact unless you put N/A anyone can inquire about the item here or via pm.
    2. Pictures are part of the knowledge here, think about a brand very valuable or desirable: the best way to remember is via photo of the label or logo.
    3. I believe @freehand is brittish, maybe I'm wrong, lots of people from around the world.
    If you have something you want or want to make available there's a thread called http://www.styleforum.net/t/287214/...-sell-trade-want-thread/3200_100#post_8215126. Make your goods available here and there as well, some deals can be made in the buy&sell forum, they allow wanted and trade ads there.

2 people like this.
  6. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Well-Known Member

Can any one help me identify the maker on these Oxxford Captoes? I'm thinking C&J based on the last number/heel pattern but I saw a Grenson heel on the labels thread that made me second guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  7. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying. I didn't know about that thread so thanks again. I'm definitely keen to trade with people from here rather than go to ebay. It's always nice to know things will be worn and loved by someone. Ebay can be a cold mistress.

8. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Well-Known Member

Cj handgrade

1 person likes this.
  9. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

One more tip if you're going to get into the eBay talk/issues/etc. That also has a separate thread that a lot of people forget about. http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...cks-problems-questions/25000_100#post_8216377

2 people like this.
  10. white collar

white collar Well-Known Member

Not sure these are any good but the resale value looked good.
    [​IMG]

Two pairs of John Varvatos converse ... POP

[​IMG]

MY MOST BAD A$$ FIND OF THE YEAR

World War 2 Air force jacket, not the civilian model either, the real mccoy, things in near perfect condition too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thrift fit pic: fits pretty good, might have to keep it, p.s. 100% of this outfit is thrifted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  11. WillWork4Coffee

WillWork4Coffee Active Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Well-Known Member

I thought so. Thanks for responding!

13. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Allowed myself a day off to get out for the day and make a couple stops. Got some stuff.

Saks Fifth sick gold baroque tie, EZ, Stefano Ricci, Brioni x3, Dunhill
    [​IMG]

B Squad: Carroll & Co by Drakes of London, NWOT's Boss skinny tie, Carroll and Co England by Cravatz, Brooks Makers
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thomas Mason Archive for J. Crew, Charvet, Charvet, Ascot Change w/ 2 ply Thomas Mason cotton
    [​IMG]
    Borrelli, Battistoni, Paul Stuart Italy, Brioni
    [​IMG]
    Vtg Orvis cotton canvas hunting hacking jacket blazer, patch pockets with leather detailing and elbow
    [​IMG]

NWT's Polo Jeans (Bought cuz of the Ponys, and Polo jeans are fucking expensive for what they are, $170 for non selvage made in Mexico??)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sick LL Bean M-65 Jacket
    [​IMG]

Gorgeous Polo Leather A-2 Bomber jacket...might keep this thing is ridiculous

[​IMG]
    Giorgio Armani black label POW w/ Blue windowpane 72% Cash
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Only suit, bought cuz cash blend, Burberry London Cash-Wool Suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna Traveller in navy
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Zegna 15milmil15 (needed btns replaced, never posted)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Zegna Su Misura Napoli Couture dark navy blue
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Zegna Su Misura Couture Trofeo (no pants yet)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fucking Sick Navy blue velvet Silk blend Armani Collezioni blazer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

That's all.

21 people like this.
  14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

That's the Zambezi, in case you were wondering.

3 people like this.
  15. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Thank you, much appreciated.

16. mormonopoly

mormonopoly Well-Known Member

Check the copyright date under "Workers." It probably says 1939 which puts it between 1939-1949. Before that they changed the copyright every couple of years so it would be close to the actual date.

17. Beeare

Beeare Well-Known Member

How old is this thing? [​IMG]

18. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by white collar [​IMG]

Not sure these are any good but the resale value looked good.
    [​IMG]
    COH take _forever_ to sell but they do. Seems like designer Women's jeans are a pretty small niche at least from my experience and maybe that is why they take forever. I always pick up good condition COH though.

19. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Well-Known Member

About as old as this

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. chasd2

chasd2 Well-Known Member

You guys have really helped me up my game over the last few months. Still learning and honing my skills. There is a lot to learn!! Anyway....THANKS!!
    [​IMG]
    Burberry Suit in excellent condition

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canali Suit Super 120's

1 person likes this.