1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Temple of Jawnz Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkin

dunkin Well-Known Member

I would love to buy TOJ franchise but i like my nice steady check with little work [​IMG]

2. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Yes I can. Got a very moody teal suede that wets my panties, I had that color in mind when making this.

I gotta see this pic.

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I typed that reply on my blackberry this afternoon, baller trackball made the ladies moan. Luckily I was on my way to the leather dealer and grabbed a swatch of that for you. I gave it to Charly to photo, so I'll have it tomorrow.

4. jet

jet Well-Known Member

5. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

You know what would be amazing? A RAF style sherling flying jacket.

Would save me the thousands for the Prorsum a/w10 one haha

6. impolyt_one

that sheep ain't cheep bro

7. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

I would really like to see a slimmer/updated RAF/Irving, too, though (like this, but I worry about how it would fit). Do you have a rough idea of how much you think one would cost if you made it? On a related note, any update on the possibility of that Bestlaff/McQueen style jacket?

8. kryptix

kryptix Well-Known Member

toj white ocbd, I'm selling it on the sw&d, a bit too small in the arms. pm me if interested [​IMG] I'm selling it on the sw&d, a bit too small in the arms. pm me if interested

9. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

I would really like to see a slimmer/updated RAF/Irving, too, though (like this, but I worry about how it would fit). Do you have a rough idea of how much you think one would cost if you made it?
    ?

Exactly. Traditional style are just a bit too bulky, especially in the arms.

This is the Prorsum one I was banging on about. It lookslike it'll come in around £2k

[​IMG]

10. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

^^ That looks dope

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

That thing will likely cost 4-5k usd.

12. Arethusa

It needs to be less busy (no hood, better pocket placement, etc) and in a better color. And not £2000.

That looks like it's based on the B3, though. I think the Irvin has a better collar and overall design.

13. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

It needs to be less busy (no hood, better pocket placement, etc) and in a better color. And not £2000.

so it's needs to be a less-interesting jacket that is not at all like this one

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

'less interesting' does not equal 'not at all'

15. Arethusa

I'd comment about the incongruity of equating "more interesting" with lots of shitty details, but if anyone on this forum would be dying to wear a $5000 fur vagina, it's uncontrol.

16. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

I would rock it, it looks warm, I'm trying to find a jacket that doesn't suck and yet will stand up to -20.

17. impolyt_one

-20C is tough, been there and done that, every winter. jet probably has no idea what that feels like, but it sucks. A lot. jet's winter is putting on a windbreaker or a leather and turning the heated seats on in his car, sipping coffee, my winter means throwing scalding hot coffee on my face and watching it turn to icicles as I wait in a mini blizzard for a cab to get home. [​IMG] sup Canada. I have ideas to really bring a full winter lineup of clothes out this winter that'll do that and more. New designs, new combo of textiles. That said, I don't know if we can do a shearling jacket like that. We have shearling but that B-3 style jacket requires a lot of little fiddly stuff like processing leather several ways or cheating and putting shearling on the back of regular treated leather, like that Cockpit USA. It'd be warm as hell but still, that Cockpit USA is driving a serious pricepoint too, I don't really think I could even come close once the materials are all bought and processed and put together. That's not a final answer but for now, I'm adding it up in my head and it's not coming together like a TOJ thing. Unrelated: still thinking and talking about selling TOJ or my experiences in clothesmaking (to the right person of course) and I am only seeing good things arise from such a situation, because frankly, money talks and bullshit walks, and that's what TOJ needs to leave the cottage and build a 2-car garage to work out of, at least. We need a professional polish and manicure and I can't afford that out of my pocket, but I am counting that in what a potential buyer would need to do to make us really live. I might even continue to exist as I do now, doing the design work and string pulling, but it's definitely not a bad thing if someone else joins the picture. Rick Owens may cease to exist if they fire Rick, and Raf Simons may not exist if they make Raf leave, but TOJ is a mechination of many things and people's thoughts, it's been crowdsourced with buyers inputs, and only stands to get better if it can have the control and backing of a bigger entity with better business sense than mine. It's like I'm the McDonald brothers to a new guy's Ray Kroc, and that is what I need for my baby to live and see many more years. Maybe not necessarily that big, there doesn't need to be a billion served, but it'd be a great thing if TOJ could grow to something big and influential, which I think it has the potential to do. We've got a beautiful thing going and many people can and have gotten behind it, I like to think we're a hot thing on the internet. I've remixed a lot of business techniques and whipped in a really good mix of my own fresh techniques, cut 100% of the bullshit to bring stuff back to the people and it's worked great. I don't have to get mad at people to get back on inventory I'm sitting on, and I don't push anything, and everything is what it is - and I get to re-focus my energy on the end product, making sure people get what they've paid for, if not more. Rather than take loans to fund expansion, though, and take on a personal debt of thousands of dollars, I'd rather let someone comfortable with that kind of game play to do it and take it to the next level, for everyone's sake. I could walk away from it once my work was done but I'd obviously remain TOJ's #1 fan, amongst many. Nothing has been set in stone yet by any means, but I have been asked personally what all of this meant and on here, why I would want to do something like this. It's a power play, trust. If it didn't mean getting what I make now or even better into people's hands and bringing even more satisfaction than now, I wouldn't have brought it up in the first place obviously, no one wants to see their work die like a weed.

18. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

Near the beginning of this thread I wrote that ToJ feels like MJK Redux. By that I meant I was skeptical how long it would last. From reading Drew's, mjk's, or Mauro's postings it's obvious starting a clothing line is a difficult business that can quickly sap the energy out of even the most motivated. Although you have my admiration for making it this far and I hope you can continue in some fashion.

19. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

-20C is tough, been there and done that, every winter. jet probably has no idea what that feels like, but it sucks. A lot. jet's winter is putting on a windbreaker or a leather and turning the heated seats on in his car, sipping coffee, my winter means throwing scalding hot coffee on my face and watching it turn to icicles as I wait in a mini blizzard for a cab to get home. [​IMG] sup Canada.
    The Yigal leather bomber I got from the Yoox final sale is what I'm banking on right now; weighs a ton, shearling collar, removable insulated lining with a thinner lining behind that, etc. That'll help. I need some sort of parka as well though, or a really thick down puffa (my Helmut Lang one is great but the exterior is cotton, it's not going to deal with wind or snow). Given your understanding of my plight I'm anxious to see what you have in store.

20. impolyt_one

Near the beginning of this thread I wrote that ToJ feels like MJK Redux. By that I meant I was skeptical how long it would last. From reading Drew's, mjk's, or Mauro's postings it's obvious starting a clothing line is a difficult business that can quickly sap the energy out of even the most motivated. Although you have my admiration for making it this far and I hope you can continue in some fashion.
    I don't remember that, honestly, because it's been a HUGE motherfucking trip for everyone whose encountered this thread at any point, but you know what? You are right in many ways. I really did subconsciously lift parts of MJK's basic business model and I took my skills to the helm with a different set of resources I've built, and we've gotten to this point. This is not to knock MJK, but he really did not make enough of what he could've sold and didn't tap markets or resources he had, rather there was a lot there untapped, much like I'm in the situation I'm in now, and Mauro takes a very, very different approach to this business than I do, and I don't even know and won't speak on it, besides saying that very different methodologies are behind bringing clothes to market. I don't think of either of these guys or anyone else as competition, rather it's much like having our own bands and CD's out, and people having the freedom to like what they like and buying whoever's CD one likes. There's no limit on CDs you can own, though you may like one band better than another, and you can have them all if you have the space and money for them. [​IMG] There's always a good song in there, on everything. I'm not looking to get out of this because I want to quit - that's not the case, nor am I looking to get out of making clothes altogether or even TOJ itself, it may remain with me and I may just show someone the ropes to make their own cool shirt or leather jacket label with their own designs, or something. As I said, if someone else doesn't want to buy step in and bring this up to a bigger capacity, then that's my job to do so, and I will. It's a living thing that I can't let die nor leave to someone I don't trust to bring it up properly. I have ideas and plans that last quite awhile for this operation, the stuff that hasn't been made yet will continue to blow people away, you don't really want to see my knit game nor my denim game, for the sake of your wallets. [​IMG] I'm literally Steve Jobs with the wooden-cased Apple 1 in my shed here, you guys know the rest of that story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.