1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Schweino

Schweino Well-Known Member

Xpost

Is there a way to fix the gaps that show where the vamp meets the tongue on these chukkas? Or is my instep too high for these boots?

[​IMG]

2. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Well-Known Member

Those boots look great!

I too have experienced the brown Saphir cream flaking off from the vamp creases. I have experimented using Saphir Creme de Luxe 1789 on the vamp of my dark brown C&J Bradfords and I wore them for the first time today. I have been impressed so far as I have seen no flaking so far. Not sure how it would work on a grain finish as it is quite a heavy cream that goes on quite thick.

3. Diego65

Diego65 Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I think what is explained by CU is wrong, I apply SR frequently on my shoes , every time I shine my shoes, (brand new or not), and they are really good. I think Berluti is right.

4. rwtc

rwtc Well-Known Member

Great to know, thank you.

1 person likes this.
  5. bik2101

bik2101 Well-Known Member

bought a pair of alden shoes on ebay. they're a bit splotchy (see pictures) and this is after I did a bit of cleaning and conditioning using some some saphir renovateur and then an application of the sahpir cream in a brown colortone. any tips on getting rid of this?

[​IMG]

6. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Well-Known Member

Related to the post just above me here, I have a couple of beer spots on a pair of Walnut Strands.

Is the only answer for me to re-read this thread to find a solution, or might it be able to be paired with any responses to the above?

So far I've only used AE Leather lotion and Cleaner & Conditioner. What does Renauvater (sp) do differently?

Will these beer spots blend eventually again as I continue polish and wax cycles?

Thanks everyone.

7. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

Several people have reported using a mixture of water and vinegar (1 part vinegar to 3-4 parts water) on beer stains. I have used this for other water stains, but have not had to use it for a beer stain.

8. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

9. Baked Potato

Baked Potato Well-Known Member

Is it possible to tighten the shaft of a Chelsea boot? I have a pair from C&J, but the shafts are too wide, which also leads to my trousers getting stuck on them every other step I take. My cobbler told me that it's doable by removing a bit of the elastic side, which will tighten the shaft. Has anyone here done that to their boots? Won't it just stretch out again?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  10. fathands

fathands New Member

First just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who have been contributing knowledge to this massive thread.
    I stumbled across it after getting fed up buying yet another pair of shoes because the leather had split and I just didn't know what I was doing wrong, and I feel like the knowledge I've gained from this thread in just a few weeks of skimming has been just what I needed to keep my shoes in shape. It's also particularly cool to see folks who work in the profession take personal time to answer questions and contribute to a general body of knowledge. It shows they take pride in their craft and that's the sort of craftsman I try to seek out if I'm in the market.

That said, I've settled on picking up some product from glenkarencare, but their website has been down for a little over a week now. I see that glenjay used to contribute here fairly regularly, though not as much lately, I'm just curious if anyone here knows anything about the status of their product?

11. tocohillsguy

tocohillsguy Well-Known Member

I doubt you can stretch them enough to fit properly. They look really tight.

12. troika

troika Well-Known Member

The stretchyness of the elastic has worn out at about the same rate as the sole of the shoe for me, I've had them replaced at the same time.

You should definitely replace the elastic and wear the shoe, it's worth it and not that expensive

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  13. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

As far as i can see from the photos its from renovateur!! it is the bees wax cracking creating the dust effect (more noticeable on scotch grain)!!
    For the oil stain you can try a 1/1 distilled white vinegar-water mix and if you cant get rid of it that way then you have to use a soap or a specified cleaner(always condition the shoes after ,especially this one is on the vamp area)

14. freshstyle

freshstyle Well-Known Member

I want to get my Allen Edmonds Bourbon Strands more mid-brown and less olive/green. But I also want to give it more depth.

Would oxblood shoe polish give it a nasty color?

15. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

My fascination with cleaning shoes is beginning to wain. I have a set of two brushes for every colour shoe I have. One to brush off with and the other to polish with, after applying polish. My question is this: would the sky fall in if I just kept one brush as a 'brush off' affair, whatever the colour shoes? Just the one brush for all of my shoes for use when going out and coming in. I realise that there would be some intermingling of colours but I can't see that it would be too desperate. I might be able to put it down to 'patination'. Simplicity is genius...except when it ain't. Any advice would be welcome.

It's all getting out of control. A small room of my house is slowly being taken over by boxes of polishes, waxes and conditioners, cloths and a huge box of brushes - all colour coded. I am concerned that my wife will soon have my suitcase on the doorstep. [​IMG] Yours, certifiable, Munky.

1 person likes this.
  16. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

Hey Munk.

You probably have more brushes in your house than we use in the shop!
    It's really not necessary...But, as they say, "whatever floats you're boat"

3 people like this.
  17. cypi2

cypi2 Well-Known Member

I have three brushes and it has worked well for me (It is probably too many brushes already though):

One to brush off dust after wearing the shoes (Same brush for all shoes regardless of their color)

One brush to polish brown and burgundy shoes (tan, dark, medium, light brown or any shade of burgundy. It doesn’t matter)

One brush to polish black, blue and grey shoes

1 person likes this.
  18. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

I have totally given up on complicated shoe cleaning regimens. It's all generally not necessary. I have concluded, after too much effort, that I should simply clean my shoes when they look bad. I use whichever brush I happen to grab. Half the time I just hit the shoes with a damp rag if I'm in a rush and that's it. I am more willing to let my shoes get a bit dirty now than I used to and let shoes "be shoes". A bit of imperfection helps to give the shoes some character anyway. It's just not worth too much time and effort for me to make everything perfect.

If a little black gets on the brown, so be it. I'm not worried about it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Thank you, gents. The sound voices of reason. I think I will begin to rationalise my brushes. What a relief! As always, Munky.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Other than aesthetics I haven't come to any conclusion that conditioning makes a notable difference in longevity of uppers if you're not routinely wearing them in bad weather conditions.