1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. globalroamer

globalroamer Well-Known Member

Should I do something about the stain on soles ? I wore my meermin's to a wedding that was in the park and the soles do have some red stains from fruits.

2. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

This wont cause any detrimental effect, nor will anyone ever see the stains so I wouldnt worry. Just make sure they completely dry before wearing again.

3. Carl1955

Carl1955 Well-Known Member

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

@DWFII @Nick V.

Getting some heel wear in my Alden LWB's - figured I could condition it a bit with some Bick 4/Lexol. Other than adjusting the lacing to elimination the heel slip (if possible - just noticed it and don't really feel it when wearing the shoes), any thoughts on prevention/mitigation? TIA

5. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

It's hard to speculate. Without a photo...without seeing it...I'm not even sure exactly what you're referring to. Or where.

6. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a thin back liner.

7. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Well-Known Member

I'm finding Lexol conditioner absolutely HORRIBLE to use. I only use a small amount on my shoes but it leaves a nasty sticky residue which is impossible to wipe off and makes the application of other cream/wax products difficult.

Bick4 on the other hand seems great and gets fully absorbed and leaves a nice smooth surface to work with.

Does anyone else find this issue with Lexol? Have I got an off batch?

8. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

What colour is the bottle?

9. EnglishShoes

It's a brown bottle.

10. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, if Lexol in the brown bottle leaves a residue it is because the leather has a heavy finish on it...maybe even "corrected grain"...it's not being absorbed into the leather.

That said Bick4 is the better product IMO, but some like one, some like the other.

1 person likes this.
  11. EnglishShoes

I've only tried Lexol on calf leather shoes from Church, C&J and Barkers. I don't tend to have a particularly heavy wax finish on these shoes. Bick4 seems to soak in fine but I always struggle with Lexol.

You mention the bottle colour - is there a different version that is a little better?

12. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

No. And if I remember correctly Lexol has a relatively large amount of water in it. FWIW, even high grade French calf can have a heavy finish.

13. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Hey do you guys recommend sapphire sole guard for your new shoe sole? Has any one used this who can give their input.

14. M635Guy

I should probably just google it, but there is a Saphir Shoe Guard? Is that a topy or a product?

15. TtownMD

It's oil based sapphire product that you rub on leather sole.

16. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to find anything convincing on this topic - how does one condition/moisturise suede?

I have a pair of suede loafers that were unfortunately exposed to salt (sea) water.
    The problem is not so much staining (barely perceptible), but the parts that were wet now feel stiff and dry compared with the rest of the shoe, and has made them less comfortable in those areas.

Is there any way to soften and recondition those areas?

17. M635Guy

Quote:My non-expert opinion would be a session with Saphir Nettoyant (there are some good vids on YouTube)

18. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

No. I have never used anything. I think is a waste of money and time (sometimes a dirty work?), IMO. Comments from experts here say soles wear faster with those products. However I seal the edges and welts with neutral wax once in a while. Hope it helps.

19. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

I use coconut oil shampoo (cleans and reconditions a bit) mixed with water when the shoe looks really bad. I learnt that from @Jayjay member (www.glenkarencare.com) and it works for me.

20. TtownMD

Hey thank you I was under same impression

1 person likes this.