1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. myoclonicataxia

myoclonicataxia New Member

Hi could I get some pointers on my shoe care routine? I've just recently got myself a pair of UK 7.5 Tan Conistons from Crockett & Jones, these are my first pair of proper shoes as I've been wearing sneakers most of the time and I really would love care for my shoes the right way. After going through the shoe care thread I've gotten myself 2 cream pommadier cream polish, one black and one medium brown,1 pate lux wax polish, 1 renovator cream and a UK 7 size shoe tree all from Saphir. I've read that I should polish them after every 5-8 wears is that correct? Do I need to apply the renovator cream everything I polish them? Also would it be better if I use a neutral cream for my Tan Conistons or the medium brown? Would it be correct to have 3 separate applicator brush for all 3 polish cream and would it be okay if I use my polishing brush to both brush off dirt and for polishing? I have attached some pictures of the current state of my shoe, are the creases normal after just 6-7 wears or are my shoe trees too small for my boots? Also I think I kinda messed up as I was walking to school and kicked the side the pavement and scuffed the sole edge, is there anything I could do to make it look new again? Apologies for bombarding everyone with my questions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Well-Known Member

Lovely boots! They are on my wish list.

Neutral cream would keep the original colour but it wouldn't hide any scuffs. From Saphir, you might want to consider the Cognac shade.

Regarding the sole edge, I would recomwnd you gat a Saphie edge dressing in the correct shade:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/p...ce=googlepla&gclid=COX-6pCSzcsCFYpAGwodUBkAoQ

It comes out like a thick cream and you just need a thin smear around the edge to hide that scuff.

3. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your buying such beautiful boots, Myo! There is a lot written about shoe care in these pages and quite a few summaries. I will give a brief list of points to bear in mind.

- Don't forget shoe trees; put them in for all the time your feet aren't in your shoes. Your shoe trees should be snug and not loose.
    - Don't wear the same pair of shoes two days running. Perhaps buy another, less expensive shoes, to allow you to rotate the wearing.
    - Keep a separate brush for dusting off and brushing after polishing.
    - Polish your shoes when they need them and not to a particular routine
    - Use Renovateur about every two or three months - again, if the shoes need it.
    - Use cream polish that is the same colour as your shoes
    - If you want a brighter shine, use wax after you have applied and polished off cream
    - The scuff is no big problem as shoes do get knocked around a bit. If you want to, you can apply the edge dressing that English suggests, above. My own experience with it is that it gives a slightly artificial look to the sole edges. Be careful not to use it after a night on the town! You need a steady hand.
    - Overall, brushing is the best way to keep your shoes looking good. Try not to over-polish them. If in doubt, leave the polishing alone and just keep brushing!

These are just my observations, mostly gleaned from this thread. As you will have noticed, the motto of the thread is 'less is more'.

Best wishes, Munky.

2 people like this.
  4. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Well-Known Member

I could but I don't really care for the look.

1 person likes this.
  5. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Well-Known Member

I came upon this same issue in using Saphir Renovateur and polish on an old pair (a couple pages back). Based on the few responses I have received, the working theory is that those stains are a result of previous water damage, which has become pronounced through the application of conditioner and/or the wax. I'm a little skeptical of this, as up until my recently turn to Saphir I had routinely used Lexol on my pair without this result, but the case stands that my pair had seen extensive exposure to wet and snow. Based on the the location of the stains on your boots it seems reasonable that those would be concentrated areas of exposure, especially in snow. I have found no fix at present - stripping with Reno'Mat and building the polish back up through staged application has not yielded a better result. The other possibility is that these boots were originally that color and were dyed a lighter brown. Did you apply the Reno'Mat outside those areas, and if so was pigment lifted/a similar color left behind?

6. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

The pair you have posted , its leather is finished after the pair was made (spray finish and the leather wasnt dyed in that color in the first place)!! Its really easy to fix this !!
    1: Use 3-4 layers of paste polish to cover it up (Saphir or Cololonil dark brown 1909 polish(higher pigment concentration))
    2: Use a dye preferably alcohol based
    3: Dark brown spray leather paint (too messy and i dont recommend it)
    Collonil colour stop or other similar product ll do the trick for you!!
    From the photos he have posted (if i remember correctly at your case also) the factory finish was striped off!!!

Some general information about renomat!!! when you use this product dont rub with the cloth!! You apply the product you wait and then you just wipe it off!!!

I hope i helped i little bit [​IMG]

7. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Well-Known Member

Thank you, sir - I have not previously seen the policy of not rubbing, but given how abrasive Reno'Mat is, that makes sense. Thanks again.

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Watching those videos is a bit cringe inducing and likely a good reason to develop a relationship with your local cobbler. If you don't have a local cobbler that you trust, send them to B. Nelson.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Isn't Nick with B.Nelson?

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Yes he is, sorry if that wasn't clear. Not a knock on Nick but rather on the producer of the aforementioned vids.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  11. Darell John

Darell John Active Member

Alright morning gents, need some help here..

Shell cordovan issue. Watermarks basically, haven't heard of this being an issue with she'll before any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Darell John

Darell John Active Member

Sorry forgot to add a photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I left them to dry after getting caught in a storm, with shoetrees, din seem to improve the situation.

Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Well-Known Member

Got a big scratch on the toe of my Church's Custom grade shoe. The only thing I currently use is Bick 4 and a horse hair brush.
    Any tips on how to minimize that scratch?

[​IMG]

14. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

Personally I would apply a few coats of a matching coloured cream such as Saphir Pommadier, allow it to fully absorb then cover it with several layers of wax.

1 person likes this.
  15. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Well-Known Member

I just dyed a pair of suede shoes navy blue. I love the look but some of the dye got past the painter's tape that I put around the edge of the rubber sole and stained it in a couple places. I am afraid I already know the answer, but does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning the dye off of the rubber sole? Can I maybe sand it out?

16. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

Use a cotton cloth with alcohol or acetone(depending on the dye you have used ) and it ll remove the dye from the rubber sole!

17. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. I used Angelus dye. What am I looking for on the bottle that lets me know which solvent to use?

Also, a little bit of color comes off each time they rubbed or used. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make them colorfast? Do I just need to give them more drying time? Will the waterproofing spray help the issue?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  18. MansardRoof

MansardRoof Well-Known Member

HELP.

I'm trying to achieve a bull shine on the toes of my AE McAllisters but after 15 coats of Saphir Neutral Wax, the left looks the same as the right, which only has 5 coats. What am I doing wrong?? I've watched countless videos, conditioned with Renovateur, applied cream polish, then went to work with a cotton rag, wax and water. It feels as a waxed surface should. It's shiny and I can see the ceiling fan spinning overhead quite clearly but its still no mirror.

Do I need to strip the entire shoe first with Renomat before repeating the steps mentioned above?

[​IMG]

19. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

If it's shiny and you can see the ceiling fan, you just need to put on more wax. I've always had trouble mirror shining shoes that have a medallion. I think it's because the water gets into the holes and swells the leather from the bottom up, particularly when I add a drop of water to the leather.

I suggest adding a little bit of wax, spreading it around, using a horsehair brush to buff off the wax from the cloth, dabbing the cloth in water to get it barely damp, then use the water in the rag to spread the wax. This has worked out better for me in terms of avoiding water entering the brogue holes.

20. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Give some time for wax to settle and solidify.