1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Often is the case in shoe care that "less is more". There are some people in this thread that will destroy their shoes through over care.

2. WillisAU

WillisAU Well-Known Member

I've noticed the finish on the edging of these C&J Lowndes is flaking a bit, is this the factory wax coat? And is this usual? Do I need to apply more wax, renovateur or something like edge dressing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of the idea of 'less is more' and certainly won't be one of those of those that 'will destroy their shoes through over care'.

4. ShoeWho

ShoeWho Member

That patch looks a bit rough. I doubt that moisturizing will make it smooth again, but it's worth a try. It it doesn't, you can use emery paper on the rough bits, being very careful to sand the absolute minimum necessary. Then I'd use polish or edge dressing to get a colour match.

Edit: actually I think sanding might be overkill, because the bumpy/flakey bits probably aren't leather, they're just the manufacturer's original coating. So the bumpy/flakey bits may well come off if you apply some thinner with a cloth and then rub. Nail polish remover or Saphir Decapant are two possible thinners, but lots of other things would work, we don't need anything fancy when we're working on the edge of the sole.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

This is due to the compression and flexing!! Nothing to worry about!!!

6. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

True...but it's due to the nature of the edge dressing--being more like paint than dye. So it will continue to happen. and as it does it exposes the underlying leather to moisture.

As an alternative, sand these edges lightly and uniformly with a fine sandpaper (240 +/-) to remove loose dressing and then put a dk. brn cream on the edges--it's a more natural look that won't flake off.

3 people like this.
  7. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

True...I see it all the time.
    Even cases where you recommend against doing something. They do it anyway and cause unnecessary damage.

8. WillisAU

WillisAU Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips fellas [​IMG]

9. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of or used crep protect for suede? It's some sort of miracle product which allows you to spill anything on your shoes and it just wipes off?
    My friend just bought some and ran his trainers under a tap and the water just ran straight off....

10. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

I used to use one bottle from Collonil and it worked very well on my suede chukkas. I've stopped using for a while until I find out if it affects the leather or its breathability in any bad way.

12. tharkun

tharkun Well-Known Member

No miracle at all. Sounds like any old suede protector spray. Don't buy into all the new fangled marketing crap like "nano protector" (see above). These have been around for ages. They're just adding marketing twists from time to time to distinguish themselves from the competition.

13. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What good leather glue o cement can use to cover this cut?.

14. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

This is true. There is nothing "nano" going on that isn't going on in anything else you spray on your shoes. Its psuedo-scientific key words used by marketers. While that product works fine, so do others like the AE suede protectant. Buy whichever cost less or is easier to find.

15. ChronBong

ChronBong Well-Known Member

do you need to clean/scrub/polish suede boots fresh out of the box?

or wait until ....?

16. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

I wouldn't polish them.... However, I do spray them with a suede protector.

17. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

As CBFN states a little suede protector before going out is a good idea but there shouldn’t be any need to clean them, you can however give them a light brush if you feel that it needs it. Suede in storage can flatten if it’s resting against each other so a quick brush will raise it back up again, don’t go overboard though as vigorous brushing can damage it a little.

18. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Without wanting to be seen as a brown noser, I have to say that I have learned most of what I know about shoes from this thread. Almost all comments have been useful but those from DW, Patrick Booth and Benhour have been particularly helpful. I think that PB must have gone on one of his sabbaticals, again...

19. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

And yet you have not tried boiling and eating a pair yet have you?

20. DuderMcMerican

DuderMcMerican Member

I have 3 pairs of AEs and I have always maintained a high gloss spit shined toe, which takes considerable time to reestablish following stripping of old polish & reconditioning of leather. I love the shoes and am proud of the care I put into my toe shines, but it's gotten to a point where I simply can't keep up with reestablishing a proper spit shined toe (x3) every few weeks. It literally takes several hours just to redo the toes on one pair.

It seems to me that perhaps I can forego stripping and repolishing the parts of the toe where there is no crease, and simply strip/recondition the rest of the shoe on a regular basis. This would allow me to maintain the high shine without wrecking the toe shine it takes me so long to establish/maintain while continuing to reconditio the parts of the shoe that are most stressed, no? Would this practice prove harmful to the toes over time?