1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ironfist1906

ironfist1906 Member

HELP!!! I recently purchased a pair of AE shell Leeds seconds they were refinished due to one shoe being lighter than the other. As you can see below they also had a couple scratches which I hoped the AE cordovan shoe cream would alleviate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I followed all directions however once I began to buff of the cream this was the result. It appears to have stripped the finish off the shell. I'm not sure if this is the refinish that was applied and I've simply gotten down to the bare shell or if i've ruined the shoe. Any guidance is appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

Did you use a stainless steel scrub pad?

3. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

That was helpful, as always.

4. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

They Look fine. I would wait dry for a day or two and see what happens first. If the finish is stripped, just put more wax over. No big deal.

5. Stemo79

Stemo79 Well-Known Member

Another response:

Thank you for your interest in Huberd's products.
    Our saddle soap does contain a coconut based soap that has alkali properties. It also contains two conditioning agents ( lanolin and glycerine), that help to restore moisture to the leather during the cleaning process. We always recommend minimal cleansing to your leather and following up any cleaning you do with saddle soap with one of our leather conditioners to maintain supple and soft leather. Hope this helps.

6. rbhan12

Cross post from J FitzPatrick thread

Spent some time on this shine last night. I think I can still get a little more "mirror" out of it, but I'm happy for now. I think I've got my technique down...here's to getting out early today and shining the rest of my shoes!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

Very nice job!!

For the last buff use a "sunglasses" or microfiber cloth it ll help make the surface smoother and step up the final result! [​IMG]

8. rbhan12

Gents,

Small update re: leather experiment. 4 pieces are cut and shown below.

[​IMG]
    Here I've put 200 microliters of pH 4 HCl, pH 10 NaOH, and deionized water, respectively. I've turned the pieces of leather on the other side, as that was the side to be shown on the strap of the briefcase, so I assume that's the side with the grain. An observation: the leather absorbed the NaOH much faster than it did acid or water.

[​IMG]
    I'll continue to update in the following days.

3 people like this.
  9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Just slapped a piece of veal out of my wife's hand. She is confused.

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with resoling a previously leather-soled shoe with Vibram or Dainite soles?

I have a pair of suede loafers and a pair of chukkas that are in need of a resole. However, since I wear both through crappy winter weather, I was hoping to get them resoled with Dainite soles. I do all my shoe repair through Sid Mashburn (who in turn ships them to NYC) and the Smashburn dudes have all said "sure" when I asked, but none of them have any experience in doing so. I'm not sure why there would be issues, but any time I get less than "absolutely" or "absolutely not" I get nervous.

So anyone done this? Anything I should be aware of before diving in?

11. chogall

B Nelson does a good job with mine, resoling from leather to dainite. You might want to specify for double sole or single sole, for looks.

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I'm 99% sure that B Nelson is who they use, given the details they've provided. Both shoes are already double sole, so I'll likely stay the course. Thanks for the input.

13. uozay

uozay Member

I noticed that the back of the inside of my shoes are being worn away. Is there anything I can do to prevent or repair this? I'm guessing it's because the shoes are a touch too large?

14. chogall

Prevent, no. Repair, yes. It can be patched by cobbler.

1 person likes this.
  15. suitntieguy

suitntieguy Well-Known Member

Hi shoe care experts. I need some help. I just purchased a pair of Burgundy Shell park avenues from the shoe bank. They look great expect one potentially deal breaking issue. On one of the toe boxes there are two quarter size blemishes. They are black in color and look like they were left under some burnishing wheel to long or something. There is very little difference in texture. I won't wear them like this but my hope is that some burgundy polish will fix this. I would think you folks hav seen this type of flaw before. Thoughts? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to wipe them with a damp cloth and brush them before I applied any product at all...

17. suitntieguy

suitntieguy Well-Known Member

That had no effect

18. rskula

rskula Member

I just sent in a pair of Allen Edmonds loafers for recrafting leather to red dainite. Watch the AE forum for my post when I get them back in a couple weeks.

19. tharkun

tharkun Well-Known Member

Was his assessment right, that they're a touch large? Asking because I asked the exact same question on the AE thread, since my two month old AE are starting to show these signs as well. But my AE weren't too large but rather even a slight bit too small at the pinky so this assessment confuses me.

20. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

I rubbed through the back of a pair of my old J&M's (from back when the top of their line was a decent shoe). They weren't uncomfortable, but I decided to make them into rain beaters and as part of that had my cobbler replace the lining with something that is sturdier, softer and slightly thicker (in hopes of reducing/eliminating the heel slip). They're still in-process, but they showed the heel lining to me the other day - looks good and I think it will work.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015